Thermostat Jiggle valve/pin orientation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I just finished replacing the radiator, the main hoses and the t-stat. I had a cracked rad and decided to replace the hoses and t-stat at the same time. Finshed it up and I took it for a drive today and the temperature was running a lot hotter than previously. Before, the temp was usually at ~188-193* consistently on the freeway. Today it was hitting temps as high as 216* on the inclines and in the 200-205* range on the flats (monitoring temps with a scanguage).

I did a search and I think there's one thing I forgot to check on the t-stat; the orientation of the t-stat. I didn't realize the jiggle valve had to be in the 12 O'clock position. I'm not sure if I did this. Could this be the reason why I'm seeing higher temps? The new t-stat is oem. I did leave the cap open when I filled and started it to try to burp the system.

I'm going to see if I hear the fan clutch roar when I start it up in the morning to hopefully rule that out.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Salue

Not sure, but the orientation of the jiggle valve is important to purge the air out when you refill with coolant.

It would only take 10 minutes to check this, so I suggest you just do it first thing tomorrow!

Did you leave the rad cap off 'til the engine was up to operating temp? Did you put enough coolant in? My guess is that you might still have an air pocket in the system.

Checked the t-stat today and it just happens that it was installed in the 12 O'clock position. Turns out the fan clutch is no longer engaging. Ordered the modified blue hub from Landtank and will install once it arrives. Hoping that fixes it.

Salue

Not sure, but the orientation of the jiggle valve is important to purge the air out when you refill with coolant.

It would only take 10 minutes to check this, so I suggest you just do it first thing tomorrow!
I know it’s been years since this post but, what do u do to check the orientation in 10 minutes?

I know it’s been years since this post but, what do u do to check the orientation in 10 minutes?

Pop the lower hose neck and look? It's really not that important, helps slightly with air removal, but when the thermostat opens, it will all go through the big hole. Have seen a bunch that were randomly installed with no running issues.

Pop the lower hose neck and look? It's really not that important, helps slightly with air removal, but when the thermostat opens, it will all go through the big hole. Have seen a bunch that were randomly installed with no running issues.
Thanks! Come to find out (after removal) that my mechanic :mad::bang::mad: installed some do-hickie thermostat with dual actuation (two different springs). I replaced it with the OEM T-stat and now it's fine. 🆒 Appreciate the response. I love my cult...:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom