Thermostat Housings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been doing some research on thermostat housings for the different years. Just want to share what I found out:

3/'69 to 1/'79
Lower housing - 16331-60040
Upper housing without oil cooler - 16333-60070

8/'76 to 1/'79
Upper housing with oil cooler - 16333-61020

1979 to 1980
Lower housing - 16331-61031. Unobtainium. Can be substituted by the '81 to '87 housing (Courtesy Jim C)
Upper housing with oil cooler - 16333-61060. Unobtainium. This is the 79-80 part that has the advantage of clearing the PS and using a common radiator hose (Courtesy Jim C)

1981 to 1987
Lower housing - 16331-61032 Unobtainium.
Upper housing - 16333-61110

Please weigh in if you see any errors.
Watch out for the unobtainium parts! Jim C says the 1979 to 1980 lower housing can be substituted by the '81 to '87 lower housing, but it looks like both are now unobtainium!

Looks good to me - I'm after the one that clears the power steering pump myself to help with the fitment of my Gano filter . It's cobbled right now with a stock '77 housing that I had to weld several holes closed and an assortment of cut up hoses to make it work .
Sarge

Looks good to me - I'm after the one that clears the power steering pump myself to help with the fitment of my Gano filter . It's cobbled right now with a stock '77 housing that I had to weld several holes closed and an assortment of cut up hoses to make it work .
Sarge
Sarge - Would a unit off an FJ60 work? I have this one that needs a new home. :hillbilly:

Thermostat 1.jpg
Thermostat 2.jpg

Lower housings in the later 70s had two holes for the emissions vacuum sensors. Not sure if that qualifies as being different

Sure am glad to see this item is current. I am going to Quito, Ecuador on Monday to look at a 1983 FJ60 2F that is a recent, complete overhaul replaced with a Chevy Fuel Injected V8 crate engine brought down from the USA with automatic transmission. Everything looks good so far and if it passes my inspection I will bring it home on Tuesday. I can see that the motor has provisions for heater, equipment that was never installed on my 40. So my thermostat housing does not have a heater hose outlet, but the 2F does. Is the thermostat and housing attach pattern the same? If not, would I have to stick a bolt in the end of a short piece of hose and clamp it!?! That would look really bad, but should work, yes?

IMG-20150424-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20150424-WA0012.jpg

DSCN3587.JPG

DSCN3032.JPG

I've got an 81 FJ40. Looks like I've got a pretty bad leak from the lower thermostat housing. Can't tell if its cracked or leaking from emission side ports. If there is no crack, where do I get the plastic emission ports (They are blocked off as I desmogged it a few years ago)? I can't even find a drawing that mentions the ports.

If I need to replace the lower housing but I DON'T want the ports in there, can I use a mid 70's lower thermostat housing or will the angles be off?

Thanks in advance.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If it's a two bolt setup (top to bottom) you can put on an earlier bottom, readily available. No need to replace in kind. No need to buy the sensors either if you don't need them. @FJ40Jim sells block off plugs.

If the bolts don't break off in the lower housing during disassembly, it's rare for them to be bad.

Best

Mark

Its a 4 bolt housing... so I guessing that is the late model housing and can't be exchanged for earlier one?

I did find the name and part numbers for the "plastic emission" ports on the bottom of the housing with the aid of my manual and some searching. Called Bimetal Vacuum Switch Valve (BVSV). Posting for reference purposes for later searches:

Violet (top) BVSV- 90925-05035
Pink (bottom) BVSV - 90925-05046 (apparently discontinued). If I find one online I'll post location.

That's the one with no threaded holes for BVSVs. Emissions controlled vehicles have 1 or 2 BVSVs, so there are two other part numbers missing here.

Great. Hoping I won't need it but at least I have the part number now.

In the first photo you see the thermostat housing that came on my '79 motor. In the second picture you see the housing that came on the '83 FJ60 engine now installed in my '79. Has anyone ever used one of these sensor ports ('79) for a water temp sending unit? It would give me a much more accurate reading than at the rear of the head.

DSCN5506.JPG

DSCN5507.JPG

I'm not sure what thermostat is in the '83 motor. I did ask the mechanic when he was swapping it into my '70 if it had one and he said yes. When I first installed the new wiring harness and AutoMeter gauges in the '70, with the old F motor, I installed a 180* thermostat, checked it on the stove before installation to see that it opened. It was never a problem, never overheated, but never read over 150* either. So I asked AutoMeter and there response was that the farther the sending unit was from the thermostat the greater the difference there would be in the reading. Now with the '83 2F motor the gauge barely moves from below the 100* minimum marking to just over it. Sometimes on a warm day in city traffic it will go up a little more, but not much and once I am moving drops right away. I would just like to see a better temperature reading since I'm pretty sure it is running more than 110* or so.

The temperature sending units are different between 1970 and 1983. Is it possible the output signals are different between the two? - Sorry, missed the change to Autometer components.

Last edited:
@73FJ40, the AutoMeter gauges require that you use their sending units. That requires an adaptor since they are different thread.

@Weber Sarge, yes the wire is pretty short since from the instrument cluster through the firewall the sender is positioned towards the rear of the cylinder head. The American AutoWire Hwy 15 harness uses heavier gauge wire than Toyota. On another note, Ms Luckytofindahome developed a little skin infection towards her right rear hip and of course she wants to lick it. So she is Lampshade Lucky at this time.

DSCN5504.JPG

This was her first go around. One week of the lampshade, cream and antibiotics. Then it was looking fine for a week, hair growing back. Then on Friday night I noticed she was licking again and had a new spot, smaller, just to the forward end of the other one. Ana Maria just sent a note that we made a mistake by reverting to the washing and cream as we must now wait until Thursday before she will go to a different vet that will take a biopsy. I agree with you, have to stay on top of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom