Thermostat Housing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Dumb question--My FJ40 came with several spare parts including this thermostat housing. The housing has two small threaded openings where these parts were inserted (the little plastic tubes on the grey one on the left are broken off). I presume these are some kind of temperate sending units? So..what are they and how/where are they hooked up? Thanks!

IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

BVSV's. Bimetal vacuum switching valves.
They will be needed if truck is not desmogged. One is no longer available new but a suitable, Toyota substitute can be sourced by searching.
If it's desmogged, pipe plugs of the appropriate thread can be substituted.

BVSV's. Bimetal vacuum switching valves.
They will be needed if truck is not desmogged. One is no longer available new but a suitable, Toyota substitute can be sourced by searching.
If it's desmogged, pipe plugs of the appropriate thread can be substituted.
OK cool. Truck is de-smogged so just find the appropriate size pipe plugs and essentailly block off the threaded openings?

Not sure of the size. Figure I’ll have to take it to someplace that sells the plugs and try different sizes until I find one that fits.

I could probably screw them in tight, fill the little plastic tubes wit super glue and it would work just fine. 😂

I could probably screw them in tight, fill the little plastic tubes wit super glue and it would work just fine. 😂

AFAIK, you don't even need to bother plugging the little tubes. Mine are open and nothing leaks out

Is it the same functionality than this thing we have on the upper housing in Europe ?

R0038245.jpg

R0038242.jpg

If I'm not mistaken it's placed on the way of the vacuum line that connect the base of the carburetor to the advance distributor. But not sure what this thing (thermo valve ?) is supposed to do and if it's still working. I think most non-USA version (with an advance distributor) don't have this extra piece.

AFAIK, you don't even need to bother plugging the little tubes. Mine are open and nothing leaks out
I said the super glue thing as a joke but I was thinking afterward those holes in the little tubes are so tiny you could probably cover them with RTV or even household silicon calk and be fine. Crazy coincidence, last night I saw a picture of an engine in another thread here on the site where the same fittings were in the thermostat housing—they were not in use and both had little rubber nipples covering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom