Thermostat bypass sleeve removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright. What is the trick for getting this blanking sleeve out of the thermostat housing? I've beat the hell out of mine trying as you can see. My thermostat kit from wits end came with the bypass o-rings for the bypass so I thought I'll change them too, but now I guess I should have just let sleeping dogs lie.

20200626_170228.jpg

Vice grip on edge. Appropriate sized screwdriver to lever up on a nearby fulcrum. Be veery careful. Had to do this on the TT Supra in even more confined space. It will pop loose and you may wet yourself.

Vice grip on edge. Appropriate sized screwdriver to lever up on a nearby fulcrum. Be veery careful. Had to do this on the TT Supra in even more confined space. It will pop loose and you may wet yourself.

^^^^

This.

OP, as you've discovered...it's pointless to try and pull it straight up, rotate or rock it. You'll only mangle it.

A new one is needed now, but in the future...for those doing this, grab it with something that won't mar the surface and PRY it up from underneath the holding tool.

For those that have already mangled theirs:

Bypass Orings1.jpg

water bypass.jpg

^^^^

This.

OP, as you've discovered...it's pointless to try and pull it straight up, rotate or rock it. You'll only mangle it.

A new one is needed now, but in the future...for those doing this, grab it with something that won't mar the surface and PRY it up from underneath the holding tool.

For those that have already mangled theirs:
Thank you all. Very helpful! With your advice I was able to get it off with some old hose over the jaws of my knipex cobras and leveraging with a fat screwdriver. I took a file to it and got it cleaned up pretty good, but if it leaks I'll get a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom