Thermal Dynamics PAK 2XT Plasma Cutter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know anything about the mfr, model, good/bad?
Guy wants $800. Seems kinda pricey to me. I'll never cut anything thicker than 1/4" which it is rated for. 230V, external air source.

C'Mon welders, fabbers......

Thanks,

Ed

You might be able to find some info on this in the outfitting section

They're all pricey. I don't know the model but the maker is good. They're all about output current in amps. there's a thread on plasma cutters in outfitting, no? Seems like this ought to move to outfitting, yes? YES!

Never been there.....MOD? Can you move this POS thread?

Thanks for the replies.

Goin' to outfitting,

10-4

Ed

How much fabbin' you lookin to do there Ed, or have we just decided to start collecting tool other than dental picks and drills? ;)

I have not heard anything bad about that brand of plasma cutter, just make sure you can get consumables locally...

Good luck!

-Steve

Figure I can do some wisdom teeth with it and write it off through the office!

Actually mostly sheetmetal, but I'd like to do at least 1/4".

Ed

Figure that most of them will cut a size below what the promo says it'll cut. Double that estimate for aluminum.

Degnol said:
Figure I can do some wisdom teeth with it and write it off through the office!

Ed

I will be RIGHT DOWN!!!

honk said:
Figure that most of them will cut a size below what the promo says it'll cut. Double that estimate for aluminum.

Honk, when you say double you mean I can cut 1/8" aluminum if it is rated 1/4" for steel? Or Versa Visa?

Poser....bring those bad boys on down I-35.

I've got a "test drive" for a couple of days, any suggestions?

Ed

Degnol said:
I've got a "test drive" for a couple of days, any suggestions?

Ed

Get some scrap steel and burn some!!!

They are pretty sweet.

-Steve

I'd doubt that it'd cut 1/8" aluminum if rated cut is 1/4" in mild steel. They carry three ratings - fine (?), rated, and sever, each larger than the former. But I've yet to see one that'll live up to it's rating. I have a TA 38 that's rated to sever 5/8" - maybe my technique needs improvement.

Aluminum disperses (absorbs) heat much faster than steel so it's harder to focus the heat at the cut in it. All of them cut thinner in Aluminum than they'll cut in steel.

I've seen some smaller units struggle with schtuff that was less than the rated cutting thickness. Rust and paint/bondo have a negative effect. I got some wheels off an 18 wheeler to make a three-tier fire ring and the unit that was used blew right through anything.
I'll just play with it and see what it will do.

Thanks all,

Ed

We have a Thermal Dynamics Portable Plasma Here at work, it's been around for Years, with no real trouble. The best Plasma cutters are Hypertherm, or have Hypertherm torches. Our Hypertherm portable unit is the unit of choice between the 80 odd fabricators here, although it is a larger unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom