There's a new HDJ81 in town... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who'd you buy that bumper through?

Front was from 4wheel. Cruisin' Offroad rear should be here this week...

I covered my drawers with some foam padding from Walmart. I dont think it would hold any hair from the dogs

How about plastic laminate (Formica, Arborite, etc)?

I got lots of 2 foot by 4 foot sheets some funky some not too bad.

If you come over to my place we can do it.

Got the Cruisin Offroad bumper kit installed today whilst manning a garage sale. Jason Hugh's product is truly a stout work of art. Had a little help at the end. Thanks to neighbor kid Tom (mechanic at Mayfield Toyota) for helping lift the base bumper on. Looks like I need to move the license plate to ladder and turn the exhaust out the side or it will flatten descending any ledge.
image.jpg
image.jpg

That's my kid Elijah in the pic. Toms much older but no pics as my hands were full of steel awesomeness.

Here's the camp kitchen I've been working on. A little ways to go still but you get the idea. Stove sits at 35" when set up. Measures 16" deep, 23" wide and 24" tall when stowed. Should hold my stove, propane, towels, cookware, dishes and utensils for 4 all in one place and sets up in 20 seconds:)
image.jpg

Adjusted throttle cable, seems to have improved the clunk/vibe i had during acceleration through 70-80km/hr. Pulled front driveshaft to find stiff U-joints. Also, found that my replacements are too big, seems like MrT used different sizes on front and rear DS in 92. Have to wait til Monday to exchange for right size. But driving with no front DS the vibrations I had are gone, ride is much smoother, here's hoping the new U-joints will maintain that when installed! If driveline is solid then I need to move on to seals to fix the oil leaks. Seems like quite a number of gaskets are leaking:(

Bit of PM and one mod. 284K Patronized Bambinos shop. Balanced driveshaft, extended diff breathers, swapped engine oil, filter, diff and tcase fluids. Front wheels preload set. Speedo cable cleaned and lubed. Used 2.5" OME lift was installed on boxing day.

hows the lift feel? new driveshaft must be more better too

Lift is great! Ride is much much better, kids complain about getting in now, but they will get over it... DS helped a lot but there is still something not quite right. Each step is in the right direction though, and I keep learning. Picked up Ironman steering dampener thanks to @decoco for the mudship from Calgary! Should I be thinking about TRE's at 280K on an 80? On my 61 they were done at 240K.

Put air soft pellets in to balance tires that were no longer balanced. Thanks Bambino for use of tire shop! However, 5oz wasn't enough, and top speed was 105km. So this Saturday I tore into it in the comfort and safety of my driveway. Was able to unseat the beads with floor jack, ratchet straps and a 4x4. Then, after adding 3oz of pellets to each wheel, was lucky enough to reseat the beads with 5gal resevoir air tank and my little compressor. Now I can drive Alberta highway speeds again!

image.jpg

I thought you put 8oz in that day?

I split the container I bought 4 ways. When I converted it from metric to imperial and calculated it, was only 5.25. But it seems better now, had it up to 120. I'll wind it up on the way to wings and see...

I split the container I bought 4 ways. When I converted it from metric to imperial and calculated it, was only 5.25. But it seems better now, had it up to 120. I'll wind it up on the way to wings and see...

I had to use 8oz in mine too

Finally finished the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, coolant and heater hoses. Got it running again today, did an oil change and diesel purge as well! Now its purring like never before, and got a little more pep! I should have run the diesel purge through 3 years ago. Break in will be a run to Crowsnest Pass next weekend. Next on the list will be to service the factory lockers.

no, tha'ts just maintenance items, no HAM radio, 35s, winch, chainsaw or a week of childminders. But should be ready by next year I hope. They are going to write my work van off so I need to sort that out too before any more mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom