There's a new HDJ81 in town... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to Tyler and Dean for alerting me to a listing on Kijiji Saturday Sept 20! It was a deal, to good to pass up. I was driving and called the seller immediately to let him know I'd send a deposit as soon as I got home. Let my HJ61 go this week and finalized the purchase Friday evening. Again, thanks go to Dean for the tow rig to bring it home Saturday. He's been paid in wobbly pops. Hopefully enough to slake his thirst for a few days anyway:beer:.

Anyway, here it is as purchased.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Its got the front rear and center diff locks!!! I haven't even had a chance to look at it too close but initial steps will be to remove front chrome bar, replace the 31's with my 255/75R16's, and get the rusted out exhaust replaced, hopefully with 3". It also needs a new windshield, ebrake needs attention, window motors, and front headlight has a hole in it. The original headlights are in boxes in the back. Also came with new weather stripping for the front doors I think.

Mike S, where did you get the 3" done on your 80?

Last edited:
I still can't believe what you paid for it but good on you. I'm very happy for ya.i see a slee kit down the road. Sounds like a club maintainence review.

I'm going after a cruising off-road rear. Group buy *2?

Yup! I was looking and 4x4 labs or Cruisin off roads for the rear. Cruisin's 1/4 pro looks stronger? And Jason could ship the skid plates as well...

These guys in their 80s, hic :cheers: hic

It looks really great man. Pumped you got it. I vote for a small lift and even bigger tires than you have now. An 80 on 35's is just right and requires little to no lift anyhow. The suspension seems to work great too. With lockers and the power of the HDT you should be one happy camper!!!

Yeah, I know it needs tires to be bigger than 33, just gotta figure out the priority list. I think I'll leave the 31's on until the safety inspection has been completed. They have lots of tread. But insurance company is requiring a safety because its RHD. They did not require that for my last 2 RHD though...

Nice rig!! Did it come with a spare 1HDT that I can snag from you by any chance ;)
My vote is for the 4x4 labs rear. I havent had the time to beat on mine too bad but I am impressed with the overall design and mounting as well as the higher clearance. Swing by if you want to take a look in person, I leave Sunday evening to southern Sask for a week though.
35's for sure, they stuff absolutely perfect!

35's for sure, they stuff absolutely perfect!

...depending on rim size/offset. Prior to my new 35's, I had swapped my "old school" 35" x 12.50 x 15" rims and tires off mt fj40 onto my 81 for a bit. This combination when stuffed would just catch the rear flares, and ripped one off.
But with OEM rims and new KM2 315's, they do indeed stuff perfectly.

What lift are you guys talking about? I saw Ibex rip through Fort Mac Boreal Forest with 35 x 14" boggers with a bit of rubbing and minor damage. I believe he is only on 2.5 " lift.

Jason

I have never seen mirrors like that. Does anybody know if they are common? Looks like a camper style mirror.

Mirrors, I know they get in the way trying to work in the engine bay...

Figured out my fumes are coming in where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Dust seal is toast. Going to try to source a new one.

Also, broke the alternator tensioning bolt being a knuckle head and didn't loosen the set bolt, doh! Will need to find a stand in today as well!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Jury rigged a seal for the steering shaft, and a bolt for alternator, tightened the vbelts, no squeal anymore. Cleaned the glass and will shampoo the upholstery Sunday, hopefully I can breathe driving Monday.

This weatherstrip is broken all round as well, I'm guessing that will let water into door skins...

image.jpg

Got most of the PO junk out of the back and bar removed from the front. Just a few decals to razor off the window. Tried to steam clean the interior, worked alright but I could do better I think. wasn't much cleaning solution coming out of the cleaning tool. Its looking pretty good, smelling a lot better. Seal and OEM bolt should be in on Tuesday. Going to need to decide what to do about the brakes next...

...depending on rim size/offset. Prior to my new 35's, I had swapped my "old school" 35" x 12.50 x 15" rims and tires off mt fj40 onto my 81 for a bit. This combination when stuffed would just catch the rear flares, and ripped one off.
But with OEM rims and new KM2 315's, they do indeed stuff perfectly.

Yes of course. My stock 16s stuffed a 315 Toyo MT great. I am now flare-less as Toyota secured the factory mudflaps REALLY well and when I pinched one between the tire and a rut it took the section of flare with it... which does give a bit more room.

image.jpg

Made some more progress, looking like a lift is needed...

Looks good with those tires/rims and front bar gone.

Finally got my pre-safety inspection work done!

Had a new windshield [and] 3" exhaust installed. This weekend tore into it with a winter oil change, steering shaft firewall dust seal, new headlights and upgraded front brakes to 16" with new dust covers, calipers, premium rotors and pads. So glad it warmed up as I was working on the driveway outside Saturday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday evening til almost midnight! Got stuck when I found one of the dust seals for the inner wheel was folded over and needed to be replaced, none to be had on a Saturday, had to wait til Monday to get that. Finished up Wednesday morning while staying home with my daughter who was sick!

So now, I just need that safety certificate, then can start on the mods...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom