There are bearing seats in the front Axle housing! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am Doing a Knuckle re-build. I have one side completley apart and was looking at the one of the new Bearings that came in the rebuild kit. There was a Bearing seat that came with it.
I says to myself "don't remember taking off a bearing seat.?" didn't see where it is showed in in the exploded view in the FSM...So i went out to my truck and looked at the "ball end" of the axle housing and sure enough there they were, one on top and one on bottom and they weren't very round inside anymore!

So to anyone who is doing this job, If you're somewhat of a Noob like me, Dont forget to pull the bearing seats in the Axle housing or your new bearing will get destroyed in the old seats.

By they way, I managed to pop them out using my small brass drift. What is the best way to get the new ones back in there if you don't have a "SST"?

you can use the old bearing seat as a drift

Wont the old one Ding up the new one? I figured on using a peice of wood.

Start off with a large socket, use the flat side and an extension to get it started.
then use your brass drift to tap it in, in a circular pattern. only thing to keep an eye on is getting in straight. Just take your time it's simple :beer: .

Are you guys talking about bearing races? I tapped mine in with a brass drift and 3 lb hammer.

Put the knuckle bearing races in the frezzer and then use a piece of wood over the whole race to push them in evenly on all sides. I like wood since it is hard to damge them since it is soft. When the race seats you will feel and hear the difference when hitting it.

I used the old races to drive all the new ones in. They fit perfect and you dont need to go through all your sockets to find one the right size. I ground the edge of my old wheel bearings races and used them to drive in the new ones. Its like a free set of custom drivers.

You can get a race & seal driver like this on from harbor freight, other online places or your local parts place. (Lisle and KD sell them). If you take the plunge be sure to go for the set that goes up to 3.18" so you'll the big ones for rear axle seals, etc.
92387.gif

I used loaner fron Autozone. Looks just like the one above. no color, just
aluminum.

I used the freeze method, :cool:

They went in after a bit of "tapping" with a mallot on a peice of 2x4.

It's snowing here! :flipoff2: Kathy Saban!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom