Theoretical question regarding throw out bearing replacement. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the hub and throw out bearing on my piggie. It's a 9/73 with a 3 finger clutch, 3 speed trans/transfer case. Basically, I want to just slide the trans/transfer out with a tranny jack, put the stuff on the input shaft then slide everything back in with having to lower the trans/transfer case. My question is: Do I need to drain the oil to do this? I'd be removing the speedo cable, dropping the driveshafts, and disconnecting the reverse light switch. Would any of those (aside from the reverse light switch) cause the oil to drain out?

As far as i know there is no need to drain but definitely put some rags in the holes to keep crap out. I did this awhile back with no issues.

Good luck

As far as i know there is no need to drain but definitely put some rags in the holes to keep crap out. I did this awhile back with no issues.

Good luck
Thanks for the response. I had hoped that would be the case. This will be the third time removing the trans/transfer case this year (not counting the three times in my 60) :mad: Glad I don't have to go through the whole damn procedure. On the plus side, I may have found a place that will safety my pig thereby avoiding the "reconditioned vehicle check" that we have to do here on O'ahu. I had posted my pig up on craigslist explaining the situation and somebody called me and recommended a place. I MAY even be moving to the bay area for school in which case the piggie will definitely be coming with me. No smog and no recon for the win! :D

FYI-AND good to hear about the pig rig-I did have a bit of fluid drop out after removing the D shaft...not sure if this is due to a bad seal, but JIK.....maybe have a small pan to avoid a clean up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom