Theft prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering what you all have done? I’m doing a Vortec swap and thinking this might be a good time to rig something up.

initial thought would be to hide a toggle switch where I can interrupt power to the fuel pump.

any thoughts or better ideas?

I'd do an interrupt switch like you said, also I would do a battery disconnect switch and then lock the hood.

A hidden line-lock for brakes could be a good idea to help prevent hooking up and towing as well.

At some point, the thief either gives up or no matter what you do they are basically taking that rig, or destroying it.

apples - oranges: but I've had nice stereo systems stolen from an Alarmed vehicle with proximity alarms and all sorts of triggers. No one cared that the alarm went off. After that I made it ridiculously hard to get my stereo out. They broke the window then proceeded to hack and stab the crap out of my dash to try and get it out destroying the whole dash/pad/stereo/controls everything.

There are different levels of theft protection depending on how good the thieves are. Anyone can show up with a tow truck and take away your vehicle if its parked on the street or in a driveway. This can and does happen in broad daylight as most passer byes have no indication the tow is illegal.

Considering that many thefts are ones of opportunity...don't leave your car alone to idle and warm up etc lock your doors at night, don't leave valuable items in plane sight through the windows.

Next level is prevent the thief from being able to drive the truck through an immobilizer, a lock out, or a some sort of prevention. A hidden switch to kill the battery, interrupt the fuel supply, disconnect the battery or ignition, mechanically lock out a key component etc. Maybe a big clearly labeled switch on the dash that says "enable drive" that when pushed activates a suicide circuit which blasts 130db horns inside the truck and cannot be shut off without cutting the wires.

I’ve come to the opinion it is probably better to leave the vehicle unlocked. If they want in, they ARE getting in and taking what’s in there.

At least you won’t have to replace the glass which is a huger pain in the ass.

They should still have Roman coliseum tournaments for g***amn fugging thieves.

I’ve come to the opinion it is probably better to leave the vehicle unlocked. If they want in, they ARE getting in and taking what’s in there.

At least you won’t have to replace the glass which is a huger pain in the ass.

They should still have Roman coliseum tournaments for g***amn fugging thieves.

If learned this too, have had old cars that dont lock, they were "broken into" and rummaged through, but both times nothing was broken or stolen. The majority of the time its a crack head looking for money!

And like making your stereo harder to steal doesnt seem like the best idea cause I'd much rather replace a head unit that a head unit and everything around it!

About 20 years ago I had my cruiser parked at a marina parking lot. I lived on my sailboat (legally) so my cruiser was always out there.
One morning I walked up to my car and I noticed that it was not in the parking stall all the way- it was sticking out a few feet. Did I park it like that?
Nope.
During the night a professional car thief had tried to drive it away but my timed immobilizer stopped him in his tracks.
He had opened the locked door without damaging the lock and started the engine through the ignition key cylinder without damaging that either. He didn't cut any wires or break any glass. A real pro.

Years prior I had installed an automatic timed ignition kill device that allowed the engine to start normally but after 30 seconds it would kill the ignition (as the thief began to drive away). In my case - that's exactly what happened- he had started it, began to back it out, then the engine stalled - he panicked - and left the vehicle there.

So a device like that can be effective.

Power switch to the fuel pump or ignition in addition to a master power switch

Kill switches are great, but this is an era of technology. LoJack, live feed motion sensing video to your cell phone, and gps trackers are all readily available and easy to install and not expensive. If you have time and money in your rig, put more effort in than a kill switch. They can still tow it away with a kill switch, but with these newer technologies you can know when someone is moving it and where it's going and have the police give them a surprise visit. If your really cheap then hardwire a old cell phone and hide it in the truck. Put a small data plan on it. Give yourself a chance to get it back. In fact I'm really surprised thieves are so dumb to steal things in this era of technology. But a surprising number of people don't utilize it and the thief gets away.

1200 lbs of underfed rottie! my dad n brother had very good luck with only one rottie in their compound years ago. the dog was trained to take food from only one person n that person was the only one who could enter the compound at the start of the day. after it was opened employees could come n go as needed. oh, n the dog's diet? 2lbs raw meet every second day. my brother found shredded n bloody clothing parts a few times.
your results may vary :hillbilly:

I like the idea of gps tracking. Any leads on product?

cheap cell phone hidden under the dash, wired into the 12v power supply with “where’s my phone” feature activated.
Or could install something like a spot tracker...think they offer remote antennas now. Again need to make sure it has power but can set to update location and then track via webpage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom