Builds "The Whale" 1991 FJ80 Build/Restore/Whatever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm making this thread in hopes that one of "The Whale's" (PO's name, not mine) previous owners is still on here and can help me with questions and be able to check in on it from time to time. My name is Justin, and I have become the new owner of this 91 FJ80. My past vehicles include a 90 4runner, 5vze swapped that got sold to buy the Whale, a 1979 Camaro that is LSX swapped, and a 2016 Indian Scout 60. I apologize about all the links, I havent been on a forum in a while and didnt realize PB became unreasonable to afford.

Pics of all my rides-
Dropbox - Photo Mar 12, 8 15 47 PM.jpg
Dropbox - Photo Dec 02, 7 43 34 AM.jpg

The Whale started life out as what i assumed most 80 series started out as, a straight 6, full time 4wd beast. Well in '98 someone swapped in a TBI350 and 700r4, probably the best swap for it at the time.

The only thread I have found on it-
(TX) BUILT 1991 FJ80... TBI-350... ARB everything!! $7,000

It has seen better days but I have always wanted a 80 series and this will fit the bill just fine. My dad and I drove 12 hours round trip to get it, and we had a blast getting it back, fighting 8 hours of traffic.

The day we picked it up-
Dropbox - Photo Mar 19, 9 00 47 AM.jpg

Dropbox - Photo Mar 18, 12 24 28 PM.jpg

After getting a full tuneup on it and changing most of the fluids, I tried to drive it and was disappointed to find the 700r4 had lost both 3rd and 4th gear. Not sure if it was due to neglect, abuse or both but currently the trans is out and getting re built. One thing I am hoping to get the forums help with is identifying the transfer case that came with the LC. I cant seem to find any identifying numbers on it with the exception of the adapter part number, and a google image search does not show any 69'-73' (suppsedly the years that the adapter fits) cases that look like it. Pics of the case-
Dropbox - Photo Apr 13, 9 49 29 AM.jpg
Dropbox - Photo Apr 13, 9 49 48 AM.jpg

Appreciate any and all help you guys can give me, look forward to getting to know this ride and this forum well.

Justin

That looks like Jeff Jones' old 91 from Colorado. Could be wrong.

I've only been able to go two owners back to a guy names Mikkie. would be nice to find the others. Thanks!

UPDATE- Jon i think you are correct, the LC came with that silver bottle on the back and i can just barely make out that old red chevy logo on the side, I searched Jeff's name and came up with the thread when he picked it up. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom