Builds The Warthog - 1977/73 combo (1 Viewer)

T
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Combining a 1977 and 1973 FJ55

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
The project formerly knows as Parts-o-Pig

I bought a 1977 Pig that has been sitting up in a barn since 2006.

The PO bought it from a guy that was paying someone to "restore" it and had taken all of the body parts off and was about to start on the main body when he gave up on the project.

Over the years the hood, grill, tailgate and two front doors walked off to scrappers

Recently my friend had purchased a 76 Pig from these guys and with it came a 73 parts Pig.

After looking at both piles of crap I decided to secure them both and combine them into one.

So here we go.

IMG_3333.JPG

Patrick's Pig on the way home from buying it

IMG_3538.JPG

Me and Pig investigating this pig when I went to pick up the 73 parts Pig. Patrick wanted the roof rack and I wanted the motor for my FJ-60 so we hatched a plan to secure it

IMG_4740.JPG

I went and picked it up this weekend.

IMG_4742.JPG

Slow and easy, the 100 tows just fine

Last edited:
77 and 73 go together well...well, not without some grinding:hillbilly:. mine is a mix of the same...

77 and 73 go together well...well, not without some grinding:hillbilly:. mine is a mix of the same...

Anything specific that won't cross over? Main donor from the 73 is the doors and crappy fenders.

Mine came with a set of rust free fenders but I've got to sell them to fund this project

IMG_4774.JPG

reminds me of the story of the guy with the watch and the lady with the hair...he sold his watch to buy her a brush the same day she sold her hair to buy him a watch chain...that's called LOVE, bro...sometimes it's not easy to see thru it all...

the 73 doors will not play with the 77 tub, and vise versa...rounded upper front door window leading corners started end of 76...

reminds me of the story of the guy with the watch and the lady with the hair...he sold his watch to buy her a brush the same day she sold her hair to buy him a watch chain...that's called LOVE, bro...sometimes it's not easy to see thru it all...

the 73 doors will not play with the 77 tub, and vise versa...rounded upper front door window leading corners started end of 76...

Will they work with Grinder as you first said??

passenger doors are OK...so is it a 77 body? the 73 front doors won't work w/o removing the window frames. Might snort an oink-out to the sty to see whos got a set of late 76 on front doors. you just need the windows and frames if you can't find a whole door...

some one was posting about a 78 they were going to part out IIRC...

So backing up with the story.

Added new plug wires and dug out the dobber and wasp nests.

Added Marvel and Sea Foam to the plugs and carb and let that sit 24 hours.

Shot either and bam. 10 years later it runs.

I put a 2 gallon gas can on it and drove. Oh yeah, I added a clutch slave and flushed the s*** out of that. Master still good.

Now the title and year thing has me puzzled. I know it's a factory 4 speed 2F. All the smog is still in tact. No way someone swapped all this stuff in this clean. I guess that makes it a late 76 that was mistitled as a 77?

Here is the VIN tag. Anyone know how to read it? I have one for 40's but can't find 55 info.

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.jpg

NICE!!! yeah that's no 77 body...75 or early 76 at the latest...any door earlier than the ones with rounded window corners will work...

This morning I pulled the sending unit and peeked in the tank. It's not terrible but not great.

I put 5 gallons in it and took it for a spin. I made it about 1/2 mile and the fuel filter was clogged.

I blew it out and then pulled the drain on the tank. The gas looked ok that I drained. I pumped about 5 more gallons in with the plug open.

I blew out the lines and filter and it seems to be idling good. Just a tiny bit of trash in the bottom of the filter now.

check the frame VIN...that body tag says 73 to me. Money says the frame VIN is on the RIGHT front frame horn and starts with a fj55-77XXX...
That would mean someone stuck their nicer 77 body on a 73 frame...and then left the rest till you got there...

Body frame number matches the motor compartment tag.

VIN 55-73074

Man. Whoever did this drivetrain swap was dead serious if this was once a F motor and 3 speed.

IMG_4888.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom