Builds The "Wart Hog" - 1996 Land Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

Greetings from the Eastern Pan Handle of West Virginia. Charles Town.

I'm a retired Coast Guard Chief, and also retired from Verizon (Network Security). It's been my long time wish to get a Land Cruiser after my tour on Kodiak Alaska. My roomy had a 73 FJ40 that took us anywhere on the island we wanted to explore.

This will be my build thread for our 1996 Land Cruiser aka "Wart Hog".

To start with - we found the WH parked for almost two years with a blown head gasket. Body and frame are in great shape! So we negotiated with the owner, and bought her for a song.

Fixed the head gasket, flushed the cooling/heating system (PO had poured a ton of radiator sealant to try and seal the head gasket - didn't work, but made a huge mess.

Fixed the a/c - needed the compressor, and assorted items replaced - cranks out COLD air now. Much needed here in the Mid-Atlantic!

Here's the lastest to be done --

Yesterday - took out all the seats, and the original carpet (blech!). I've already finished Dynamatting the rear cargo area, and now that the front carpet is out, and the final prep work is done on the floor areas will finish with the Dynamat.
26725931372_3986500b4f_b.jpg

While the OEM carpet is out - it's time for new carpet.

After a ton of searching, and reading I'm going with - Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors.

The reason for the complete Dynamat is the upgrade to -
Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS Stereo
26569638181_911fae9295_b.jpg

Planet Audio P8UAW Powered Subwoofer
(installed under the driver's front seat)
26547236300_51061b5539_b.jpg

Powerbass S-275CF 2.75-Inch Full Range OEM Speakers (two sets - two for the dash, and two for the cargo area overhead)
Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers (Pair) (cargo area)
Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) (front doors)
Alpine Type-S SPS-410 4" Coaxial 2-Way Car Audio Speakers (back doors)
Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED (going to get another camera for the front - the Pioneer gives you the option to run two video feeds - will help for off roading!)
MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers (to enable the Pioneer to run DVDs to keep my co-pilot/wife occupied during long road trips!)
Tonsiki Motor Car Truck Boat DC Digital Voltmeter Three Hole Panel DC 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Dual USB Port GPS Port (installed in the right rear cargo area to power fridge, and other goodies as needed)
T-Spec V12DB-1144 4 Position Distribution Block (powered the cargo area goodies)
Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote (powers the rear subwoofer)

Car Interior Flat Overlay Kit By WOW Trim, Item# TYT-13-SAZW Toyota Land Cruiser, Main Kit, 20 Pcs., African Zebra Wood (the OEM trim was - done)
26214281404_1438ebd02e_b.jpg

AnyTone Smart CB Mobile Radio/transceiver 10Meter with FM/AM mode, Frequency Range:28.000-29.695MHz Power output 8Watts FM/AM Radios Mobile Transceiver (Fits just right in the slot that's reserved for a cup holder) (comes out of the box set for Germany's freqs on 11 meters, and what a coincidence - it's the same CB channels we use!) (with a simple solder mob output can be easily switched between 4 watts, and 8 watts)
26029501414_6e75a478ba_b.jpg

Next will be an upgraded suspension. Either Slee or OME. Haven't decided yet.
Tires are Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Traction Radial Tire - 285/75R16 126P on stock wheels (need cleaned and buffed out). Still have good tread on them, but the PO beat the crap out of them, and they have a few plugs - NOT GOOD!

She came with an ARB front bumper - but no winch. Anyone know off the top of their heads which winch mounts up to it?

I'll post pictures when I can. Glad to be here ya'll!

:beer:

Last edited:
First of all, Thank You for your service chief! As far as the winch, find out who made your bumper and contact them and ask them what size winch will mount on it.

The ARB was designed around the old Warn M10,000

Basically nearly any winch without an integrated solenoid will bolt in. It's a feet forward design so clock your drain ports on any winch designed to be mounted feet down. Some winches may need spacers to clear the motors.

My warn M12000 was a direct fit. And IMHO this is the best winch for the 80 series.

The ARB was designed around the old Warn M10,000

Basically nearly any winch without an integrated solenoid will bolt in. It's a feet forward design so clock your drain ports on any winch designed to be mounted feet down. Some winches may need spacers to clear the motors.

My warn M12000 was a direct fit. And IMHO this is the best winch for the 80 series.

That's about what I thought too. Thanks for the information!

Being a former A-10 driver, I was hoping that it was made of titanium and could take shrapnel with the best of them...

Regardless, I love the name :)

What a great job you had! The Wart Hog is by far my favorite plane! Nothing says love like - BRRRRRTTTT!!!!

Thought you might get a kick out of the back of my LC --

26752283101_00f14e6bc3_b.jpg

Did you use the bracket to secure the CB radio in that location, or is it so tight of a fit that there is no need to worry about securing it in?

Did you use the bracket to secure the CB radio in that location, or is it so tight of a fit that there is no need to worry about securing it in?

I used a plastic epoxy, and created a ridge to keep the radio from sliding forward. Once it's in the slot, and installed back in the dash - it's a nice solid/snug fit. Wish I had taken a photo...RATS!

Here's some interesting information for a MOD to increase the output power from 4 to 8 watts on 11 meters. I did the mod on mine, and it works great.

"This is a good radio for the price and will fit in any vehicle or atv. De-solder OP2 and solder OP1 to keep the high power. Use band D for 11 meter CB. This is great for a holiday road trip or for local traffic reports. If you want something loud and swings, get a galaxy. The direction that come with it are about useless. There is limited but helpful info on the net. I put mine on the meter and get 3.5w on low and 10w on high."
410BorkkpZL._SL256_.jpg

This is what I found on the net. He is saying both OP1 and 2 are closed from the factory.

Anytone Smart / AE-6110 Internal Jumper Configurations

One way to know for sure -- Amazon.com: AnyTone Smart CB Mobile Radio/transceiver 10Meter with FM/AM mode, Frequency Range:28.000-29.695MHz Power output 8Watts FM/AM Radios Mobile Transceiver: Sports & Outdoors

Read the reviews. Order one, and check it out. When I get a chance (right now I'm fighting a nasty spring cold) I'll put the SWR/PWR meter to it, and take a short video. Like I said - I did the OP Mod, and this little puppy cranks.

Cool.

As far as winches are concerned, you have many options depending on your budget and brand preference. Badland and Smittybild being on the cheaper side, require some extra metal pieces for the winch footing. There are a few threads here on how people mounted different brands of winches on their ARB bumpers.

Winching and Recovery

Cool.

As far as winches are concerned, you have many options depending on your budget and brand preference. Badland and Smittybild being on the cheaper side, require some extra metal pieces for the winch footing. There are a few threads here on how people mounted different brands of winches on their ARB bumpers.

Winching and Recovery
Roger that! I'll be looking at the information, and adding a winch to my list.

Also I mentioned a remote speaker for the AnyTone since I have it mounted in the dash. Here's the external speaker, antenna mount, and antenna I went with....

COMPACT 5-WATT SPEAKER
Compact_External_Speaker-5_1024x1024.jpg

FIRESTIK FS CB ANTENNA (5 Foot)
Firestik_FS-4_1024x1024.jpg

ADJUSTABLE UNIVERSAL HOOD MOUNT
Universal_Installed_1024x1024.jpg

HEAVY-DUTY CB ANTENNA SPRING

Firestik_Heavy_1024x1024.jpeg

Everything seems to be working and my SWR is less that 1.5 to 1 across 11 meters.

Anyone know off the top of their heads which winch mounts up to it?

As @Dragos80 already said, the Badlands winches do fit. I can confirm that. I mounted a Badlands 9000 on my ARB winch bumper. I did need to fab two 1/4" thick spacers to go between the winch and the bumper, but otherwise no issues. I am given to understand that the 12,000 winch has the same external dimensions and footprint. That having been said, your shopping list above indicates you might not be affected by the same budget constraints that influenced my winch purchase ;)

As @Dragos80 already said, the Badlands winches do fit. I can confirm that. I mounted a Badlands 9000 on my ARB winch bumper. I did need to fab two 1/4" thick spacers to go between the winch and the bumper, but otherwise no issues. I am given to understand that the 12,000 winch has the same external dimensions and footprint. That having been said, your shopping list above indicates you might not be affected by the same budget constraints that influenced my winch purchase ;)

Oh trust me - I'm on a tight fixed income budget. I saved a ton of saved $$$ when I bought my LC for a song (let's just say south of $3K).
I also have a Badlands winch on my 93 4Runner. After about a year I ditched the steel cable and went with a synthetic rope. Man! What a difference. Have you seen the 18,000 pound winch. Talk about over kill, but it would be fun for bragging rights.

What did you use for the spacers? Just regular washers? Or did you cut them from DOM steel?

NOTE: The ARB Winch Bumper came with the LC. Did I mention that aside from the blown head gasket, A/C, and exhaust that this baby is -- A BARGAIN!

I'm back to be saving up my pennies again for the next phase. I bought a M101 trailer from a Jeep friend for -- get this -- $300.00. Road ready (will be upgrading to trail ready), and came with the title. I'm going to do a trailer build along side my LC. Time to start pricing out some goodies from EASTON.

:popcorn: :banghead:

What did you use for the spacers? Just regular washers? Or did you cut them from DOM steel?

I had some 1/4 steel plate laying around, which I cut two rectangular pieces out of, (approx 1-1/2" wide, and about an 1/2" past the bolt holes on each end). Drilled 2 holes in each one, hit them with some black spray paint, and installed them. They're not going anywhere sandwiched between the winch and the bumper.

Actually I love these Badlands winches. Had a 12,000 on my 4runner (I know, overkill). There's a great video on Youtube about how to waterproof them if one is going to be doing frequent water crossings...Sorry but I don't have the link anymore.

You might consider this antenna bracket. Antenna Brackets

Made for the 80. I use one on each side for my CB/HAM antennas.

Thanks Corbet. I'll put this on my "UPGRADE SOON" list. Dual CB antenna set-up would help get me heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom