Builds The "Wart Hog" - 1996 Land Cruiser Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glacier is by far my favorite NP I have been to so far! In my opinion it beats Yellowstone, RMNP and anything I have seen on the east coast, albeit the fishing is better around Yellowstone!

Hey RiFF RaFF, I'm originally from the Elliott City area. I'll hit you up if me and the Cruiser make it back to that neck of the woods.

I've spent a good portion of my life meandering the hills of Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks WV.

Glacier is by far my favorite NP I have been to so far! In my opinion it beats Yellowstone, RMNP and anything I have seen on the east coast, albeit the fishing is better around Yellowstone!

One needs to hike to truly appreciate Glacier except the drive to Polebridge Bakery

One needs to hike to truly appreciate Glacier except the drive to Polebridge Bakery

I destroyed a battery on the road to Polebridge! Hiked the garden wall trail over Swiftcurrent pass in 2003 and 08, words can't describe!

Hey RiFF RaFF, I'm originally from the Elliott City area. I'll hit you up if me and the Cruiser make it back to that neck of the woods.

I've spent a good portion of my life meandering the hills of Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks WV.

Sounds good. If nothing else - we can do a weekend camping trip to the George Washington National Forest (Flag Pole Knob area). Last time I was at Dolly Sods was in my 89 Blazer. It was 65 F in the valley, and by the time we were 1/3 of the way up we were in a blizzard! Like a nice old lady told us before heading up "Ya'll be careful. It's a whole 'nother world up thare!" She wasn't kidding! LOL!!

Wish I could Phil. I'm not quite so mobile thanks to a drunk driver, three months in INOVA Fairfax VA hospital, and two+ years of rehab. But if you know of any off road trails there (trail head name(s) or Lat and Long) I'll add them to my "Must See" list!

I destroyed a battery on the road to Polebridge! Hiked the garden wall trail over Swiftcurrent pass in 2003 and 08, words can't describe!

Want to go again? Safer in a group.

Polebridge is a nice drive up the west side of Glacier almost to the Canadian border, there is a small "town" there, the bakery and bar are must stop places. The ENTIRE road up there is a killer washboard road, it shook the battery in my Grand Cherokee to crap!

Polebridge is a nice drive up the west side of Glacier almost to the Canadian border, there is a small "town" there, the bakery and bar are must stop places. The ENTIRE road up there is a killer washboard road, it shook the battery in my Grand Cherokee to crap!

Do you remember the name of the town? I have plans to add a second battery, and both will be AGM types before I do any off the grid exploring!

:steer:

RiFF RaFF,

You would like it down Cranberry Wilderness/Highland Scenic Hwy, if you haven't been; the Hwy tops out at about 4600' or so (I used to backpack Dolly Sods *years* ago.)

And Frederick Municipal Forest is a pretty cool place to hang out, but no extreme wheeling: 4x4 Icon - Frederick Municipal Forest 3/13/03

I hang out at Blue Ridge Acres occasionally, and we used to be able to drive the power lines off Chestnut Hill Rd, but they're gated now. :-(

And what happened in Ellicott City last Saturday was absolutely UNREAL!!!

-Andy

Do you remember the name of the town? I have plans to add a second battery, and both will be AGM types before I do any off the grid exploring!

:steer:

The name of the town is Polebridge. Its a walk back in time and worth the drive like many, just for the baked goods. Lots of green houses and Im not sure what all they grow but everyone is happy.:D

polebridge-mercantile-near-glacier.jpg

Last edited:
The name of the town is Polebridge. Its a walk back in time and worth the drive like many, just for the baked goods. Lots of green houses and Im not sure what they grow but everyone is happy.:D

polebridge-mercantile-near-glacier.jpg

One can only 'imagine' what they are growing (cough cough). Thanks for the info - we'll add it to our list!

:smokin:

Sorry to be off topic, but how do you like your new audio system setup? I was considering doing something like that with a sub under the seat but there's so many options. Tell me more about it

The under seat sub-woofer works great! It does come with a wired remote so you can control the bass level without having to get under the seat. Fits perfect, and definitely sounds thumping good without being obnoxious.

Best way to install it is to remove the driver's seat. Running the wires has many options. I would recommend a wiring kit with the hot (red) wire going directly to the battery.

Note: there are more under-seat sub-woofer choices. The Planet Audio I went with fit my tight budget, and even with electric seats has plenty of clearance. Doesn't interfere with the seat movement, and has plenty of air space to keep the sub cool.

81BWFae40WL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom