The Vinton County Roundup-8/26-8/28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JuttyShabango

Checkers R Wreckers
SILVER Star
Threads
Vinton County Round Up

Located in the heart of Ohio’s wheelin’ country, Vinton County hosts some magnificent trail riding opportunities for a moderately equipped trail rig.

This run will stage out of the Lake Alma Campgrounds below the spill way on St. Rt. 324 near Hamden, Ohio. Strategically located between Stone Quarry, Tar Hallow and Richland Furnace all three trails are just minutes away.

Lake Alma hosts primitive camping, swimming at the beach, fishing, showers, minimal supplies and amazing scenery. The nearby towns of Hamden, Dundas and McArthur all host convenient stores, restaurants, minimal shopping, minimal lodging, fuel, parts, camping supplies and more.

Each day will start with a mandatory driver’s meeting to discuss the days run and split into groups. Each group of no more than 7 will run opposite trails all days. Meaning, while one group runs Stone Quarry another will run Tar Hallow and another Furnace. Then the next day, switch. This will keep the numbers on the trails manageable and moving. If by chance there is more than one group running the trail for the day, the start times will stagger by 3 hours.

Itinerary

The event will start Friday, August 26th with the 9 am drivers meeting and run thru Sunday, August 28th, 2005 Saturday Night will be the raffle, group cookout at the main Pavilion and the Midnight Run.

The Midnight Run will start 30 minutes after dinner or Dark. Which ever is closer and we will run the longest, tuffest loop at the place and open to all well equipped vehicles. This will be the same loop done during the day and is approximately 30 miles offroad and can take from 5-10 hours depending on the conditions.

During the days of Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be spent running each of the three trails.

Descriptions and Trail Ratings

The Loop : The Connector-to-Beard Cemetery-to-Stone Quarry (The hardest and longest)

Furnace: Easier than Quarry and better for lesser equipped rigs

Tar Hollow: Can be very novice friendly.

Cost is free for the event, you are responsible for your own food (except for Saturday Night) reserving your camping space, etc.

More details for this event will unfold and be posted at jonnyquestoffroaders.com Sign up for this is mandatory so we can have an idea of how many to expect.

Trail Guides will be supplied to each group.

Right on Jim! Look for a registration page soon. This summer has been soooooo dry we have to do something like this just to prove Ohio does have killer trails!

Chad,

You were missed bro, beleive me.

registered....now I've got some time to get my little taco going and ready for this one.
I'm almost 100% sure I can make it but it's a little far off right now to know for sure.

Bump.

We have 10 registered for this run. I'm calling to get my campsites this week and will PreRun the trails the weekend before if anyone wants to join.

Counting the days. Get to field test some NEW goodies :grinpimp:

BUCKEYE4X4 said:
I am pretty sure I can arrive late Friday, drink heavily, and ride Saturday.

:beer:

Kman

Bonus! I saw you called yesterday, left my cell at work. Will drop you a line here today.

This is gonna be a fun run for everyone.

Since most are doing "Saturday" as the big day here's the agenda. We do not have to split into groups.

We will head South from Lake Alma to RT 160 then RT 32. Expect about 15 minutes of road driving at this stage getting to the trail head.

At a certain county road off of 32 we will head North to the trail head (gravel road, very dusty) we call "The Connector"

This trail is tight but fun with some stuff that will challenge the longer wheelbase trucks and some tippy off camber stuff. Nothing but fun though.

After the Connector we will dump out on a twp road and will take these roads for about 5 miles of gravel roads to BEARD CEMETARY. We will stop for a break here and eat lunch. On top of a hill.

After Lunch we run BEARD Cemetary. Lots of "balance here" and suspension flex. Also, a 6-7 foot Rock Ledge we will have to get up. Very doable with just a rear locker.

Beard Cemetary will take us to an Access road that will cut over to Stone Quarry (this is the only trail you will see significant mud) Stone Quarry is tuff and has changed a bit. It's 13 miles one way and it will dump us out on Route 50 East of McArthur.

From there, we will have a 20 minute drive back to Lake Alma to complete the loop.

Look for about 30 miles of trail riding and about 15 miles or so of road driving for the run. Should take us all day.

Then come back to Lake Alma, swim, grill, eat, drink, bs. Also, I'm bringing my video camera and will do a big movie for the club's new site.

What is the schedule for Tar Hollow?
How bad is the trail? Sorry I am not ready to scratch and dent my truck yet Unless I want a divorce from my wife ;)
I run stone quary about 5 years ago when I still have my 87 mini. It was very muddy that time and my truck run hot all the time due to plugged radiator. One guy with 35"all terrain have problem all the time since his tire got packed full of mud.

IMO, if your worried about your truck (and you have a nice one by your descript!) I wouldn't run it anywhere in Ohio.

I based the run agenda on the rigs that filled out the registration form and all of them are seasoned trail riders. I may have missed your registration and will double check.

Since we have 10 trucks and no need to break off into sub groups, we can either run Tar or Richland Furnace on Sunday at the groups decision.

Honestly, any of these trails will give you pinstriping you probably won't want.

I have not register yet.
I used to go off road a lot but not in the last 4-5 years. I need to find another beater truck and start going again.

Augie said:
I have not register yet.
I used to go off road a lot but not in the last 4-5 years. I need to find another beater truck and start going again.

Well, you could certainly come awn down for the festivities and jump in with someone! Trails down there have changed quite a bit since you've last ridden them. I've been running these since 00 or 99 and know exactly what you mean about Stone Quarry.

Used to curse that place when we ran it in slick conditions. Fortunately (and most of the motivation for this run) we have had a really dry summer and the trails down there have never been so much fun. Perfect opportunity to showcase what Ohio does have.

Trucks are going to get dirty, but not muddy like everyone would think. It's dry and FUN!!! Oh man, some of the climbs and rocks down there are just too much fun right now.

Countin the days!

3-speed tranny and smog pump for free

I'm still coming up for the ride this weekend and will be hauling back a pumpkin. I've got the old 3-speed out of my 69 which worked fine when I swapped it. No cover plate or shift mechanisms, just the tranny. Free for anyone who wants it, I can deliver to the campground.

I also have the smog pump that came on the 78 2F that I rebuilt. Don't know if it's good or not, just let me know if anyone can use it.

Directions?

I'll be coming from Chillcothe on Route 50 and taking Route 683, which joins Route 93 just north of Hamden. My map doesn't show Route 324 going close to Lake Alma State Park.

How do I get from Hamden to the campground?

Thom said:
I'll be coming from Chillcothe on Route 50 and taking Route 683, which joins Route 93 just north of Hamden. My map doesn't show Route 324 going close to Lake Alma State Park.

How do I get from Hamden to the campground?

Okay, my bad, it's ST Route 349 and I go the exact same way as you are going right by Lake Rupert.

We are camping below the Spillway.

I've got a sick, sick 2 year old been dealin' with the last couple days, I'll be down either late tonight, or by 7:30 in the morning.

Anyone still gonna make it out?

sorry about your sick 2 year old
I was there thursday from 5.00pm untill 10:30 am this morning (friday)
there is no one there. And Im pissed off. I took a day off work and drove 3 and a half hours to get there.
Now Im home. So Im out $150 for work $80 for gas $30 for food and $15 for camping .
and for what To ride with the B.B.S Buckeye Bull s***ters.
I hope you have fun tomorrow. Ken Millhouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom