The Versatile 80- My Observations - Long- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know most of you drive these trucks due to their great off road capabilities. They are also rugged and well built. We here a lot about that but what about the great versatilitiy of these trucks. Let me give you an example.

I have a young family of 4. I use my truck during the week to drive to work. Very comfortible and enjoyable veichle to drive daily. On the weekends, I go fishing a lot and either pull my 16 foot flats skiff all over town to my fishing spots or I take it off road and fish some of the secluded areas I get to from shore. The LX450 does a great job of this as I never have a problem getting stuck and it carries me and the family (and sometimes friends) without a hitch.

Earlier this week, we found out something else about this truck. It is great for carring lots of stuff. We could not fit our home entertainment system we purchased in our Van as the seats would have needed to be removed in advance. No problem for the 80. We fit a 42" TV, Entertainment rack and other stuff in the back with room to spare. The seats are so movable in these trucks it is amazing what fits in them.

I have owned many veichles big and small. The 80 seems like the best of all worlds as it is big enough to hall what you want and not to big that you have to drive around a bus.

Just my thoughts.

Andrew

Andrew;

I total agree! A great all round truck/bus and hauler of much junk.

A 42" TV? - That's Nothing!

When I was building my house, I had a supplier deliver (by mistake) the wrong tile to my house. I had 2 tile guys on the clock sitting around with nothing to do. The supplier couldn't fix his mistake and deliver the correct tile until the next day. Rather than wait, I drove to the supplier and packed my Cruiser with over 2,500 pounds of tiles and delievered them myself. The Cruiser barely sagged and ran fine.

Gauge,

I built a stone retaining wall somewhere between 1800 and 2000 lb in back. mind you a very short 3-mile trip but no issues.

These are just great rigs.

Now I just got back from Europe, I spotted an 80 on the autoban. I slowed and wanting to see how fast he was going, it was running a steady 170-175k's. I was impressed, didn't indicate turbo D but I wouldn't want to pay his gas bill.

speyrod said:
Now I just got back from Europe, I spotted an 80 on the autoban. I slowed and wanting to see how fast he was going, it was running a steady 170-175k's. I was impressed, didn't indicate turbo D but I wouldn't want to pay his gas bill.

I assume that's Kilometers - correct? I wouldn't want to do 175 MPH in a Cruiser! Yikes!

That's why I put the "k". Either way I was impressed, I only saw two 80's in Germany over the two week, I saw one in Scotland and one in London. All appeared to be gassers.

adidasprof said:
You couldn't even if you WANTED to.

Actually you can. If you do a search you will find an article about a guy in the middle east that paid to have one built that would do 300km/h (186mph). I can't remember the cost but it was in excess of $250,000.

Remember the old hot rodder adage "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go." :D :D

cary said:
I can't remember the cost but it was in excess of $250,000. Remember the old hot rodder adage "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go." :D :D

Then there's the old saying, "Anyone who would spend $250,000 to make an 80 go 186mph is an absolute idiot."

speyrod said:
Gauge,

I built a stone retaining wall somewhere between 1800 and 2000 lb in back. mind you a very short 3-mile trip but no issues.

These are just great rigs.

I've gotten pretty close to that in a stock 80 :D

I wouldn't...nor do I think I could...hit 108mph in my lifted rig.

Glad to hear everything's going well with the rig Andrew.

I had a similar versatility experience a few weeks ago on a float trip. Got to the take out and the other guys were like "damn... wish that Lexus could get down here so we wouldn't have to trek across this rocky flat, and haul them up that steep sandy embankment". After watching some dudes on dirt bikes peel out getting up the sandy bank, I went to take a closer look at the terrain, turned around and said, "I'll be right back". Pulled down in there with the flat bottom boat trailer and got out and said, "load her up boys". Somebody in the peanut gallery... "that thing better have 4WD drive"... "want me go call my buddy cause you're going to have to get that Lexus pulled out of here?" Looked the CDL in 4-hi, and off I went with everybody standing there to see how far it would get. After I pulled it up on top of the back, one dude look over at the other and said "hell...it didn't even spin the tires".

One trailer with flat bottom boat, 2 canoes on top, 4 dudes riding, the back full of gear, pulling out of a river bed... pretty versatile :D.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom