The Vegtable Garden Thread

surfpig

The Anti-Tech
A few more (3 1/2 pounds!). Decisions decisions…

:lol:
2BADC2F3-226D-4A7B-9DDA-C97FE56113AB.jpeg

A few more (3 1/2 pounds!). Decisions decisions…

:lol:
View attachment 3119926

I'm going to make it official. You can't grow peppers like this in my region of the world. I live in New Mexico, and we are forced us to identify with peppers (chile) as what appears as some kind of local, neo-tribal, psuedo-historical-pagent conspiracy. New Mexico will never be the chile capital of the world, sorry. But, New Mexico politicians have to film their ad campaigns somewhere, so they dress-up as vaquero and pretend to be a farmer for the camera - expensive leather boots are a joke when you are working around / with irrigation.

There is simply too much caliche (Mg and Ca carbonates) in our soil and water, or, too-high of an altitude to get a good growing season. Blossom-end-rot in tomato and peppers results in the bottom of the fruit suffering from deficiency of these same minerals because they are not available to the plant at such a high pH in our soil. Even before being picked, mold begins to form internally like it was physically bruised. Unfortunately, due to mega-corps / micro-salary, a few moldy fruits inevitably wind up in batch processing. I accidentally ate some of it last week - no fun - everything on the menu has chile.

Also, professionally speaking, growers haven't a clue how to deal with the mice problems in our fields / greenhouses / and particularly home gardens - I'm never surprised to see partially eaten peppers still on the plant, and trying to keep mice away from germination trays forces you to work under 1/4"-grid hardware cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom