The Ultimate Honda Trailbike Tech Thread (possible NSFW) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a file in the CT90 Yahoo files section that details how to convert to LED turn signals. You need a Bauer electronic blinker and some diodes and probably know how to use a multimeter. It specifies model numbers for everything though. I will do this eventually. :cool:

ct90 : Info and talk about Honda CT-90/110s

Go to Files
Go to 1-2-3's of the Electric Systems - Jon Pardue
Go to Blinkers and Turn Signals
Open the File "CT LED Blinkers.pdf"
The password is BOB in capital letters.

Also I just read on the Yahoo list that some people have replaced their Honda coil with a Bosch blue coil from a 6V Volkswagen and get much much better spark. :cool:

A little off subject....not quite a hijack

I just got a new headlight switch (OEM Honda) for my '74 K5. It is the "Hi-Lo" switch. I think the old switch was just "On-Off", but it is hard to tell. Anyway, the new switch seems to have three positions, so maybe "Off" in addition to Hi-low? The switch has three wires so maybe power in, low out and high out? That would not preclude off.
Any advice?

Ed

I just got a new headlight switch (OEM Honda) for my '74 K5. It is the "Hi-Lo" switch. I think the old switch was just "On-Off", but it is hard to tell. Anyway, the new switch seems to have three positions, so maybe "Off" in addition to Hi-low? The switch has three wires so maybe power in, low out and high out? That would not preclude off.
Any advice?

Ed

do you have a wiring diagram for your year? It will tell you which color wire is which...

http://dratv.com/wiringdiagrams.html

I bet the old switch was Hi-Lo, with no off...

I've pulled dents out of pipes by sealing off the openings,slightly pressurizing,and gradualy heating the dent.They just expand back out. You would obviously have to be very thurough with your cleaning or you would be creating a bomb:eek: It also requires a paint job.

Just an update on what I've done somewhat recently.

• Got ALL the lights to work properly.

• Replaced brake cable.

• Replaced speedo cable.

• Replaced throttle cable and cleaned out throttle slide inside the handgrip.

This last one involved some interesting discoveries: There was some sort of dinosaur s*** inside the handgrip (I think it was just dried up grease and such, or maybe organic matter). The anchoring of the cable housing on the handgrip end is, um, interesting? And, finally, not anchoring the cable housing properly results in acceleration of the bike whenever you try to make a turn. :doh: :D

ct70 resto thread with paint codes for engine refinishing

"Tahitian Treat"......the 1980 CT-70

some more paint links

general paint code info for old hondas

ModelChart

Honda Africa Twin Colour Schemes

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-fansite/honda_documents/Honda Paint Codes 1969-73-74.pdf

Honda Paint Codes

Honda - FAQ

apparently the silver trim and wheel colour for the early small bikes 90cc or less is cloud silver.

there is a code cloud silver metallic code 08707-nh35m, and it seems to be still used for honda outboards and available, but the parts charts do not list cloud silver as a metallic paint.

Honda TUP CLOUD SILVER 08707-NH35M Price: $15.57

there is also "dark grey metallic" code CB or NH19M. this seems to be sometime after 1969 and definitely by 1974

also for a near miss to cloud silver you can use eastwood argent silver wheel paint or duplicolor wheel paint wp101 or wp316

for the body on ct200s and ct90s
you have

scarlet (ct200 to ct90k3) code "c" or "r-2" or maybe "R-2 C"
bright yellow (ct200 to ct90 k2) code XB or CJ or "R-2 CJ"
summer yellow (or smokey yellow) (ct90 k3) code "cc"
mars orange (ct90 k4 and k5) code YR-6
tahitian red (Ct90 k6+)code yr-23 EC

for black stuff like kickstands there are many many honda blacks

black is NH1 with a number of iterations
gloss black

Thanks Semlin, I will soon be starting a restore of my two Z50's and this info will be helpful.

Tim:steer:

I recently bought a stainless steel bolt replacement kit for my CT90.

Source: Burks Motorsports, Motorcycle Parts

Here is what is in the kit.

Most of the bolts are 6mm x 0.1 pitch. All are Allen head.

• 5 45mm bolts, 25mm is threaded
  • 14 40mm, 25mm is threaded
  • 1 30mm
  • 12 25mm
  • 3 20mm
  • 3 15mm tapered head
  • 2 15mm tapered head 5mm x 0.8 pitch

How I measured:

45mmbolt.jpg

The entire kit:

CT90bolts.jpg
45mmbolt.jpg
CT90bolts.jpg

Last edited:
awesome bolt list. the diameters and pitches match my measurements of individual bolts.

thanks yoop :cheers:

a link to a restorer site with some useful information on resto tricks

Marbles Motors

some possible modern paint codes for the honda scarlet and trim cloud silver taken from a forum dedicated to restoring 60s era honda twins. The scarlet was also used on the cl72/cl77 models

hond305 forum said:
Red:
EMO/LM likes Imron 6543UM, and this actually crosses to three different PPG codes, 71977, 71650, and 74359. The shop only had the chip for PPG 71650, and I compared it out in sunlight to the original part from my bike and it was a match, by all eyes in the area that saw it, including mine. The suggestion of Ditzler DPL71654K (from the Silver book?) crosses to PPG 71654, but it looked a little darker. It would probably look good on the bike, too, but I think the 71650 would be closer to stock.

Silver:
EMO's Imron 45040U crosses to PPG 33283, and while they didn't have a chip for this, the formulation is a very basic medium silver made up of black and silver flake, so should make a good match

edit: looks like that silver is for trim pieces like fenders/battery covers, not for engine or fork parts

Last edited:
The 90 is running. All brakes replaced, rear foot pegs, front foot pegs, did some re-wiring, painted all the plastic as recommended on the Beatrice site with some rattle can gray, took two links out of the chain and replaced the rear sprocket. Replaced all the cables and cleaned the throttle. Changed the oil and replaced some buggered hardware. Adjusted the clutch. I think it all cost me about $200 from the Beatrice site. Sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom