The Ultimate Honda Trailbike Tech Thread (possible NSFW) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted to install new clutch friction discs in today too, so I took the clutch side cover off and heard a metallic "clink" of something falling.

I carefully took the side cover off and found the "ball keeper" cage bent.

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

Luckily, with the purchase of the CT, I got a spare engine in pieces and a box of misc stuff that had another ball keeper assembly.

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

This is the upper end of the original engine. IIRC, he had a piston ring break and cause the scoring. He bought a complete engine and transplanted the upper end from it onto the original.

PICT0022.jpg

I wanted to install new clutch friction discs in today too, so I took the clutch side cover off and heard a metallic "clink" of something falling.

Needless to say, I won't be finishing the clutch today. I need to figure out what else came un-attached and fell when taking off the engine side cover.

I have the good ball keeper soaking in cleaner since it's been sitting in that box for years. There's no rust, but it's just gummed up from the dried up oil & dust.

I posted this in TUT, but figure I'd post it here as well.

Before I rebuilt the carb, I had to drain the fuel tank. I drained the "main" fuel line first into a gas can. I wanted to see how much the reserve was, so when I pulled that line from the carb, I drained it into a clear 32 oz gatorade container.

Here's the quantity of gas you have left when you run out of the main gas and have to switch to reserve.

And I rinsed the gatorade out before I drained the gas into the container... that's the color of the old gas that was in there.... :eek:

PICT0012.jpg

Here's some more pictures of the ball keeper that was bent along with the other one I dug up in my misc parts. The spare one has a different cage, but I think it will work fine. The center section is the same I.D. and the half moon is the same also.

This part is #10 in this pic and only $5.00 from Beatrice Cycle.

dratv_2022_234484858.gif

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

Here's a shot with them stacked directly on top of another.

PICT0007-1.jpg

Clutch writeup moved here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/248270-honda-ct90-clutch-writeup.html

Last edited:
Ordered A,B,C,&D OEM clutch plates from Dr. ATV today. He was less expensive than buying from the Honda dealership for the same parts. :eek:

Hopefully they'll be in by the end of the week so I can have it running by the weekend. :cool:

Ordered A,B,C,&D OEM clutch plates from Dr. ATV today. He was less expensive than buying from the Honda dealership for the same parts. :eek:

Hopefully they'll be in by the end of the week so I can have it running by the weekend. :cool:

So I ordered the parts on Tuesday the 7th and the parts were in my mailbox today, Thursday the 9th. How's that for speedy delivery. :cool:

Here is the location of the oil filter/screen

PICT0037-1.jpg

PICT0038-1.jpg

Mine was clean, but I sprayed it off with carb cleaner anyways and put it back

Install gasket (note that the oil screen is behind the gasket)

PICT0042.jpg

Last edited:
Valentine is kickin' some serious ass there! Well done!

Just today, I purchased another small sparkplug--a 1984 CT110. This will join the 1970 CT90K2, the 1979 CT90, and a 1971 CT90K3 parts bike. From all reports and the pics on eBay, this bike is super cherry.

The manual said the clutch lever was supposed to point from the center of the shaft strait to the center of the clutch You can see that I also have the ball holder installed.

PICT0046.jpg

I didn't take a picture of pcs. 7, 11, and 12, but you can see here how it goes together. Pieces 11 and 12 fit in the center of #6

dratv_2022_234484858-1.jpg

Finally all buttoned back up. :cool: Minus the kick starter.
:doh:

PICT0048.jpg

you should have painted your cover while you had it off :D

otherwise nice work :beer:

you should have painted your cover while you had it off :D

otherwise nice work :beer:

:lol:

If I paint it all up & get it all purty, I won't want to ride it for fear of messing up the paint job. :D

It's perfect just the way it is. :flipoff2:

Just today, I purchased another small sparkplug--a 1984 CT110. This will join the 1970 CT90K2, the 1979 CT90, and a 1971 CT90K3 parts bike. From all reports and the pics on eBay, this bike is super cherry.

I'll be sure to take lots of pics on Tuesday when I'm in Olympia picking it up....and when I get home. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom