The Ultimate Honda Trailbike Tech Thread (possible NSFW) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is dirty(had to ride it yesterday) but generally complete. Headlight is not correct and the footpegs are aftermarket, seat needs some serious attention, but it runs and has new tires:meh:
Good Winter project;)
In the pics it looks like the tank is all beat-to-s***, but those are some decals someone put on.

Ed
z50 001.jpg
z50 002.jpg

that is a really nice one. all the older ones I have seen around here are red and have less chrome.

In '74(according to the link you posted) they were only available in two colors "Candy Sapphire Blue and Candy Topaz ", so if you know your colors, that is a good indication of what year it was produced.
Any good way to get dents out of a gas tank? I hate to just bondo them.

Ed

In '74(according to the link you posted) they were only available in two colors "Candy Sapphire Blue and Candy Topaz ", so if you know your colors, that is a good indication of what year it was produced.
Any good way to get dents out of a gas tank? I hate to just bondo them.

Ed

depending on the dent, i wonder if you could seal it up tight and use compressed air to pop it out? other than that, maybe those suction cup dent pullers?

Looks nice, much nicer than the two z50 projects I have.
As far as dents go, both of mine are dented somewhat, the less dented one has a lot of rust inside. I was keeping an eye out on ebay for a better tank, but it seems like decent ones go for quite a bit.

Are the dents from the handlebars? If so, might want to make sure the stop is working good before fixing it.

Now lets see a pic of you riding it :D

I'll find one of me on my China monkey clone if you do.

The guys I know that fix tanks all have special dollys they made out of ball bearings (some rather large) welded to bent rod that they insert through the gas filler hole and use with a hammer.

I also know some guys that just cut out the dented area and straighten it on a bench and then weld the piece back in.

Good thread Semilin. I have a '70 CT90, a '65 CA77 and a '74 MT250. I also have several other brand of similar vintage.

As far as dents go, both of mine are dented somewhat, the less dented one has a lot of rust inside. I was keeping an eye out on ebay for a better tank, but it seems like decent ones go for quite a bit.

Are the dents from the handlebars? If so, might want to make sure the stop is working good before fixing it.

So far, I have nothing but praise for the POR-15 motorcycle tank rust abatement kit.

CYCLE TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

A trick I did when drying it before application of the final sealer, I put the tank in my oven at 250 F for half an hour. :D Much better than sitting there holding a heat gun on the filler hole for an hour. :rolleyes:

The guys I know that fix tanks all have special dollys they made out of ball bearings (some rather large) welded to bent rod that they insert through the gas filler hole and use with a hammer.

I also know some guys that just cut out the dented area and straighten it on a bench and then weld the piece back in.

Good thread Semilin. I have a '70 CT90, a '65 CA77 and a '74 MT250. I also have several other brand of similar vintage.

:cool:

:hmm: A tire iron standing up in a cinder block with a piece of rubber duct-taped over the end--if you could fit that into the filler hole, and used a rubber mallet. . . . .

Here's my $0.02:

To clean some rust out of the tank of my ATC 200x we cleaned some pea gravel, put it in the tank with some water and shook it around until we were too tired to do it anymore. The water that came out was way more rusty than I would have thought and the inside of the tank is good, but not perfect. It wasn't close to rust-through, so I'm not planning to seal it. I got this idea from a gearhead who suggested a bottle of BBs and a paint shaker, but I doubt Home Depot offers this service.

Here's a spot to download Honda, Kawi and Yamahopper 3-wheeler manuals. The carb howto's in bold are relevant to any small motorcycle engine. The wire color codes and part number stuff may be helpful as well.

Download 3-wheeler Manuals

#
# atc200x_83-85_servicemanual.pdf
# atc250r_81-84_servicemanual.pdf
# atc250r_85-86_servicemanual.pdf
# atc250sx_85-87_servicemanual.pdf
# atc350x_85-86_servicemanual.pdf
# atc70-125_1985_and_earlier_servicemanual.pdf
# atc90_73-78_atc110_79-81_servicemanual.pdf
# tri-z_250_servicemanual.pdf
# tri-zinger_yt60_servicemanual.pdf
# ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf
# ytm200_yamaha_servicemanual.pdf
#
Manuals/ATC manuals directory:
# 4sjetting.pdf
# 81-84atc250rservicemanual.pdf
# 83-85ATC 200xservicemanual.pdf
# 85n86atc250rservicemanual.pdf
# 85n86atc350xpartsfiche.pdf
# 85n86atc350xspecs.pdf
# 86-87atc200xservicemanual.pdf
# ATC 200M 84-85 Shop Manual.pdf
# ATC 250SX Service Manual 85-87.pdf
# ATC-70-125.pdf
# ATC200S 84-86 Shop Manual.pdf
# ATC90_Shop_Manual_73-78_ATC110_79-81.pdf
# BALANCING CARBURATORS.html
# C[1]. ATC250ES Set -up Instructions 1987.pdf
# C[1]. Carb repair helpfull hints.pdf
# D[1]. Honda Big Red Service News CD.pdf
# H[1]. honda Help notes.pdf
# History of ATC.pdf
# Honda 200E Big Red 1982-83 CD.pdf
# Honda 200ES Big Red 1984 CD.pdf
# Honda Wheels.pdf
# I[1]. Honda Wirecolor codes.pdf
# K[1]. Understanding honda part codes.pdf
# YamTri-ZServiceManual.pdf
# YamYTM200ServiceManual.pdf
# atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf
# atc_350x_service_manual.pdf
# bleeding.pdf
# carbover.htm
# fault_find.pdf
# hondawirecolorcodes.pdf
# product-codes.pdf
# yt60-zinger.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, this is my first post to this thread, be easy on me. :flipoff2:

I was looking around for some clutch info and stumbled on this website.

Honda CT Trail Bikes

I didn't see it listed in any of the above links.

Here's the clutch info, the best I've seen yet.

CT70 and Z50 AutoClutch

And the carb.

CT70CT90Carburetor

They have quite a bit of stuff, even some cool factory stickers...

Enjoy. :D

source for oem honda replacement keys using code numbers on the lock. there are also ebay stores selling these, and some locksmiths have the information to make a new key for you from the code if they have the right blank to fit.

Honda Keys.com Your source for NOS Honda Keys

depending on the dent, i wonder if you could seal it up tight and use compressed air to pop it out? other than that, maybe those suction cup dent pullers?

easiest, least intrusive way would be to get one of these
stud_welder.jpg
This nifty tool can make short work of pulling a dent out of your steel body panels (not aluminum). Sand the paint off down to bare metal. Put a copper plated nail (the stud) into the collet, place firmly against the panel for good electrical contact, pull the trigger for half a second, and it spot welds the stud to the sheet metal. Attach multiple studs as required. The small slide hammer has a collet to grip the studs so you can pull the metal up to the desired lever. Then use an angle grinder to grind off the studs flush with the surface, just a few seconds per stud. This leaves the panel clean and smooth with no trace of the weld zone, ready for prep and finishing.
description and picture pilfered from http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/members/tool_lend.html
pretty commonly available from tool rental places
stud_welder.jpg

Just replaced the condenser.

Here is a good explanation of how to do it.

Here's my coil hanging out of the "battery hole" Once you get it to this point, it's you just unplug 2 wires, take off the mounting bolt, plug the wires back in, bolt the coil back onto the coil & re-mount coil, gas tank, exhaust.

It was super simple to do, other than having to take the exhaust off to get the seat off.

I already had the gas tank drained since I rebuilt the carb yesterday.

The blue/red and red/white wires you see dangling there are the + battery wires.

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom