The trip would have gone good if.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my brother and I took a 5 hour drive to go get my cruiser that was at my moms house. Well for the drive back up we knew that the t-case had a leak in it and we were proly going to have to fill it up once or twice on the ride up. Not a big deal right? Well when my brother got under it to take off the fill plug right when he put some pressure on the wrench the plug totally rounded off. That was just great. When went in and bought some vice grips to try and get the bolt off, but no luck, it seemed like the bolt was mad out of very soft metal. It is wierd because i had just had that plug off like a month ago and i don't see why it would be so hard to get off. Is there something going on with expantion when the t-case is hot or what. Has anyone else come across something like this. Well after about 2 hours of getting pissed off, we were just doing whatever and we took off the plate on the side of the t-case and filled er up. It was a great trip, it only took about 8 hours when it should have taken 5.
Gotta love cruisers :)

I just changed the front & rear diff, t-case, and transmission oils last week after driving for about 40 miles or so to get all the oil nice and warm with no problems at all. I'm not sure when they had been changed last but all the bolts came free relatively easily. Assuming the bolt and t-case are made of the same material they would expand and contract at the same rate and therefore even excessive heat due to lack of oil should not cause the drain fill plug to seize up.

6 point sockets help alot, also grind down the end of the socket so you have good contact with all the surfaces of the plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom