1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Toyota dealer insulted me today!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    So my mom was set on getting a new Toyota today. She went to the dealer and settled on a 2006 Highlander, V6, leather, yada yada yada!.

So after the price was settled, she said she wanted to trade the 1988 Chevrolet Beretta (146,000 miles). So they send the "used car app" out to look at it. That guy knew about as much about cars as a brick, he was a ****ing idiot! He comes back in and tells us that the car is worth $100.00 on trade. I tell him that he is an ass and that price is an insult! So now the deal is about to die so the manager steps in and tells us $500.00 for the Beretta, which my mom took. I know that the Beretta is not worth much, however when you want to make a deal work, don't insult people with a $100.00 trade in price! I think they gave her a decent price on the Highlander, but you know that they are still making a profit, so don't **** around with a stupid trade in value!

Rant off,
    Zack

2. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    i was paid once to keep my trade in .no s*** really i laughed my ass off and took the cash:D

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    100 bucks is generous.

4. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:

They will send it to a wholesale place and put it on a used car lot somewhere I guess, so they will get their $500.00 back.

Zack

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Not necessarily. Often lumpy trades are run through the auction to get rid of them, usually at a loss. When a trade is "over-allowed" to make a car deal the loss will be deducted from the gross.

6. ATLcrusher

ATLcrusher

You negotiated a deal, then tried to change the terms of the deal. Car dealerships are not in business to help you make money on your trade-ins, they are there to make money for their owners. I'm with CDan on this one.

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Seems like you got a great deal on the trade -in. You should reserach these things before you make a deal

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Kelly Blue trade in value is less than $500 in excellent condition w/ a V6. 4 banger in good condition is less than $250. I'd say you got your money's worth.

-Spike

9. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Some dealers just pay 800 for all crap trade ins. I have even seen the push pull drag it in special offering 2000 for anything.

I like 500. Even if they take a loss, nothing should be lower than 500. They are making ok money on new vehicle. A couple hundred dollars here or there should not matter.

Most of these cars will either be wreaked or auctioned as they is no way a new car dealership wants their name tied into a 88 Beretta or other.....

10. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    So he offers you a fair price and you call him an ass. I confused, who was insulted? Maybe if he increased the price of the new vehicle 500 and affered 500 first for the tradin you would be happy.

11. Darwood

Darwood

And car buyers aren't there to help car dealerships make money. What's the problem again? I got lost.

12. -Spike-

-Spike-

Actually...

-Spike

13. Darwood

Darwood

True, but in the mind of the car buyer, they aren't there to make car dealers money.

14. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sheesh. Why all the angst against Zack and support for a car dealer? I've never met ONE that had my best interest at heart, or even a "fair" deal at that. Zack negotiated a great deal on a trade (and that was part of the deal, not that he was changing it afterwards). Good for him. Guaranteed that the extra $400 didn't take all the dealer profits off the table. They stick it to you in every possible way, be it base price, dealer "add ons", "doc" fees that while legal are less than transparent, warrantees, loan insurance, "enabling" security features, and on and on and on and on and on... The dealer had every opportunity to say, "Sorry, $100 is the max, take it or leave it", but he didn't. His problem, not Zack's. Good for you, Zack.

15. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

I don't blame Zack one bit. Get all you can out of them.

After reading an article in Car & Driver earlier this year I decided no mercy when negotiating to buy a car for my wife.

C&D article went something like this

-Single mom goes to a Cheby dealer to get a car.
    -She stupidly answers the "what do you want your payments to be?" question.
    -She says $350/mo
    -Salesman figures if she'll pay $350 she'll pay more
    -They have an advertised no money down lease special that would allow her to get the car she wants but thers's only one problem - it's only $300/month.
    -They decide instead of giving her the no money down $300 lease special they'll jack up the lease payment to $390 AND talk her into putting an additional $4000 on her credit card as a "down payment."

So now she's paying $90 more every month for a crappy lease plus is making credit card payments on the $4000 she didn't need to pay to begin with.

I believe in polite, calm, reasonable business transactions. When it comes to car dealers don't trust them for a minute and don't feel guilty for negotiating a great deal.

16. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    the key is to really do yer homework, you're less likely to feel like you got fawked in the end.

17. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

Totally loaded in Los Angeles the most it is worth is 825.

Excellent $825
    (Selected)
    Good $755
    Fair $590

Engine: V6 2.8 Liter
    Transmission: Automatic
    Drivetrain: FWD
    Mileage: 144,000
    Selected Standard Equipment
    Air Conditioning Power Steering AM/FM Stereo
    Selected Optional Equipment
    GT Pkg Tilt Wheel Leather
    Power Windows Cruise Control Moon Roof
    Power Door Locks Multi Compact Disc Premium Wheels

Blue Book Trade-In Value

Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in vehicle assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than the Private Party Value because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business.
    Vehicle Condition Ratings
    Check Vehicle Title History

Excellent
    $825
    "Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Good
    $755
    "Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Fair
    $590
    "Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

18. archie

archie

When you go to a dealer you play their game on their home turf. You should play as hard as them because you don't play this game everyday like they do. If they want your money they gotta give some concessions.

19. ATLcrusher

ATLcrusher

I didn't say Zach couldn't try to get more - and good for him that he did - I'm just saying stop your ****ing whining. Especially since he sprung the trade in on them after the fact. Basically that tactic is no better than one that would typically be used by a dealership.

20. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

I was always told to negotiate the trade in separately, after the major purchase is agreed upon. That way the cost of the new vehicle is very clear to the buyer.

Once they are sure they have a sale on the new vehicle, you have the most leverage on getting a fair deal on your trade in.

Anyway - I think Zack did the right thing and got hopefully got a fair deal on the entire package.

It's too bad car buyers can't walk out of a dealership feeling like they got treated fairly, and the dealer makes a fair profit as well. But that's the way of the world....

Rocky

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">