The time has come, LJ71 restoration... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JPD

Threads
Website
www.mendibleduboisrealestate.com
Ok, many moons back, I posted getting an LJ71 Bundera to eventually restore. Well, the time has arrived and the project is well on it's way.

These are a couple of pictures of when I got the truck, it does have the 2L-T engine, which, for me is more than enough, as there are really no hills nor mountains in SoFlo.

Bodywork will take the better part of 4 to 6 weeks, as rust is basically everywhere. My goal is to do certain things to make it unique.

Part of what is coming (besides a new paint job): new suspension from Dobinsons, new custom front/rear bumpers and a custom roof rack. Tires will be pizza cutters and the interior, well, have not really thought too much about it yet.

LJ71 b3.JPG

LJ71 o3.PNG

Nice work!! You gonna keep the same color combo?

Nope, the truck is going to look completely different. I am going to go for the white roof and the Sand color from the 60s. Snorkel is out, front bumper and rear bumpers will be more on the minimalistic side, and I am going to go for the skinny, aka pizza cutter, style tires/wheels combo. I am going to put a new custom roof rack, one that will be more of a secondary roof, to aide in the summer heat here in Florida, after all, this truck does not have an A/C...

Good work! That is an ambitious rust repair. I'm watching carefully, as I have some rust needing attention also.

This is truly beyond imaginable, but well worth the long hours. the rust is just everywhere. Check these pictures out:

tail light1.jpg

tail light3.jpg

tail light5.jpg

tail light8.jpg

tail light15.jpg

I actually like that color combo (white roof and orange), but tan is also a great color.
Can't wait to see the finished product. You are going all out. Great Work!!

at least it doesnt have overfenders, i had a nasty surprise under one of my overfenders. from outside all looked great....

Are you gonna put some cavity wax treatment in the side panels? I put some even on the windshield frame and at the tip of the front hood (its a 73).

at least it doesnt have overfenders, i had a nasty surprise under one of my overfenders. from outside all looked great....

Are you gonna put some cavity wax treatment in the side panels? I put some even on the windshield frame and at the tip of the front hood (its a 73).

I am actually going to use a rust inhibitor from Eastwood throughout the truck. Once I get it back, and before it goes to get the interior redone, I plan on coating just about every inch with the undercoat product, then use Lizard Skin sound countrol.

Ok, so with the craziness of Black Friday and Cyber Monday in the past, here is a new update. Well, the truck is more rust than not, but we have forged forward and made some progress.

I am also incuding a picture of the Dobinsons Suspension to be installed, along with new bushings and tie rods.

Leo8_2497918.jpg

Leo9_2597918.jpg

Leo9b_2797918.jpg

LJ71 r1.JPG

Ok, so, it has been a while but the dirty e letter job keeps getting in the way... The amount of rust we are encountering and fixing is crazy. This is just around the bottom of the windshield.... And only the left side... Right side is just as bad, hopefully, not any worse...

20180827_144537.jpg

20180827_155945.jpg

That is bad!

I don’t know what you are paying for labor but a lot of those parts are still available from Toyota. The rockers for example are like $70.

Cheers
I have to say that I am fortunate enough to have found a sponsor who is pretty much footing the bill. I did find some panels and saved some time. Biggest thing is that I was able to find an up and coming garage that specializes in Hotrods and custom building, so, after more wheeling and dealing, the rate is beyond affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom