The thread I never thought I'd start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I did it. I sold out. Lucifer can come claim my soul. Let the thrashing begin.

I've been looking for another 80 for a few months. Have found quite a few but all were out of my price range or were trashed. I needed one cheap. I needed one to be running good. And I needed it rust free. I messaged Joey (@NLXTACY) about how I couldn't find one. He said "There's plenty of them around here." I thought this was Joey making a jab at me being from Iowa and there only being pigs out here (and not the FJ55 kinds of pigs). So I checked out Craigslist and found a plethora of 80s. I asked him if he'd check one out for me if it was nearby. He told me the vicinity to look and there was a cheap 80 not far from his house. I called the seller and haggled a little bit over the phone. That was yesterday. Tonight it's mine.

She's a little rough around the edges. Needs some love. But she runs smooth, is rust free, and was cheap! Oh, and she's Triple Locked for the rough parking lots.

Many thanks to Joey for taking the time to check out the rig and negotiate the deal. Can't think of anyone I'd rather have being my eyes and ears than him. Can't thank him enough for doing this.

And for the record, I am already obsessing about engine temps and eating Xanax to calm my worries about the HG blowing.

Without further adieu...1993 FZJ80 310k Triple Locked

Green 80.JPG

Last edited:
Buy yourself a beer Joey! You deserve it! :beer:

OOOH...I likey! I have a white truck to build but I have been day dreaming of a truck in black for a DD. Congrats!

I like your green truck too though!

Last edited:
Well, it's green, unfortunately. It's my second least favorite color with burgundy being my least favorite. (no offense @hamishpotter)

And I should say that it is dark green...for now. I think it is going to end up mil spec OD green. My buddy owns a body shop and he gave me a price for my other 80 in khaki. Or maybe they will both end up khaki. I don't know yet.

Did you see that guys $35k 97? His ad helps me smile every time I see it!

By the way...what are the immediate and long term plans for the new rig?

Yeah, I did. I laughed my ass off. I think Joey was going to go take a look at it and check it out. Not sure if he ever made it there.

Immediate plans are to handle all of the maintenance and nit picky stuff.

Visors - Ordered
Seat belts - Still needed
Knuckles (passenger side birf is clicking) - Still clicking
Run through the lockers and clean them out to make sure they work properly - Rear works, front will work now that I have the wiring harness for it. Just need to install.
New battery - Done. X2.
Pull the dent out of the rear quarter - Kind of done. Looks less sh!tty
Seat covers - Coming soon!
Pull the running boards off - Long gone. Sliders from Trail Tailor
Change fluids - Done. Multiple times
Belts - Done
Hoses - Some done.
PHH - Not yet.
Identify the oil leak. Doesn't seem like a big leak and probably won't mess with it but will find out where it is - Done. Distributor O ring, Crank shaft seal, oil pump cover. NO LEAKS!
Plugs - Done
Cap - Done
Rotor - Done
Wires - Done
PCV - Done

Not sure what the long term plans are yet. Still trying to figure that out. It will be daily driven, thats for sure.

Last edited:
I'm going to leave it at Joey's for a few weeks and let his OCD kick in. I figure after a couple of weeks sitting at his place he'll have had @Qball and the boys over getting it all sorted out and in top notch working order. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Very nice. Look forward to watching what happens.

Here's a bit of rationalization that worked for me when I picked up my 97 LX450.
It's a disease, not a choice. You are compelled to purchase when one catches your eye and it's a good deal. Not that anyone would ever say that the one I bought was a good deal, but I was unable to walk away.
You will enjoy the 1FZ-FE on the road, but I still prefer the 3FE in the the woods.

Oh, and I made certain I got an OBD2 vehicle so I could monitor engine temps with some degree of accuracy. The very first thing I did was replace radiator, fan clutch, belts, hoses regardless of appearance.

Congratulations on the purchase. She looks pretty. Fluid Film the crap out of that.

Thanks @jonheld. I wasn't looking for a 1FZ-FE at all, certainly not a dark green one. Its funny, I looked and looked and saw a few 91-92 80s for sale but none of them seemed "right". Then a saw this one right by Joey's house and it fit the bill of what I needed; CHEAP, running, rust free. It having lockers was a nice bonus.

This makes the 5th 1FZ-FE that I've owned. None of the previous ones did I ever plan on keeping. They were always "deals" that I stumbled upon. This one will be kept. Not sure if she's a "lifetimer" in our house but she's definitely not a "shortimer".

Already picking up the Fluid Film from work (I work at Lowe's) today. Let the parts stockpiling begin!

I see a 3FE swap thread about to begin. Seriously though, congrats on the purchase.

Funny you mention this. I just picked up a 3FE motor for $100 that I'm going to rebuild with my son to have as a "what if" for either my son's 92 or my 92. It is pretty much guaranteed to sit in the entire and never get installed but we thought it would be fun to rebuild on a stand in the garage. Maybe I'll be the first to go 1FZ-FE to 3FE. haha

I flew out to Phoenix to get mine and packed a set of OEM belts and hoses in my luggage. I had a case of Fluid Film spray cans shipped to the sellers house along with some Tyvek coveralls. Went crazy with the FF in a hotel parking lot. Myself and 2 of my GCLC buds made a road trip out of it. Good times.

Here's a little video of it running. I think it sounds good. Not sure. It doesn't sound like the illegitimate child of a John Deere and a sewing machine. It's so quiet and civilized.

I flew out to Phoenix to get mine and packed a set of OEM belts and hoses in my luggage. I had a case of Fluid Film spray cans shipped to the sellers house along with some Tyvek coveralls. Went crazy with the FF in a hotel parking lot. Myself and 2 of my GCLC buds made a road trip out of it. Good times.

That sounds like fun!

I have been thinking about flying out to LA and driving it back. It makes zero fiscal sense and seems like an unnecessary risk in a vehicle with 310k miles on it. BUT it would be cool as s***! I figure if I let it sit at Joey's for a couple of weeks it will be ready for the 1500 mile journey so after he's OCD'd over it. hahaha.

There was a 97 CE for sale in Denver that I thought about getting. My little bro in law and his girlfriend just had a baby. I thought about buying it and all of us taking the train out and driving the 80 back. Would've been a neat adventure. The CE was out of my price range. I would've been stretching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom