The TexaCali 45 Emprise—Dani California Rising (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@cruiserdan took this picture with us at the Land Cruiser Museum (photo credit is his). My son proudly wearing his now favorite hat. Again, Dan, it was a pleasure to met you.

55AF702C-8C1D-4893-83D5-8BE042056ACF.jpeg

No holes in that roof is a huge bonus.

Looking good. I like that beige.
I do too. One of the gas tank straps has very nice, undisturbed original paint. I am going to take it to a local paint and body shop—they are confident the can match it.

I am pretty sure it is Colorado Beige but I guess it could also be Sundune White. Either way, I don’t see too many this color so I am going to work hard to preserve its original paint to serve as an example.

Last edited:
I noticed what looked like a sticker on the valve cover. Initially thought it would be the F135 sticker but then realized it wasn’t in the location that sticker normally is. Gentle washing and picking away at it with an x-acto knife—interesting find. I like the reference to “tappet” and “ignition plug”. I’ve never seen this sticker before—but that isn’t saying much.

5B55C522-E3ED-4915-B468-7EEF5976E404.jpeg

FD3E0721-A420-40B7-857C-8DC9856574F7.jpeg

477887CC-3569-48A8-8C57-32B2731F8E23.jpeg

BTW, never mind the engine that it is resting on in the 3rd picture—that’s not it’s engine.

Last edited:
Front bumper is in bad shape, I have an extra from an FJ40 so figured I’d get the old one off and “new one” on. Saw this small crack in the frame in front of the center arm and just behind the perch. How big of a deal is this. Should I get a welder to repair this? Drill a hole a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve stress and prevent it from spreading farther?

69023E4E-C5F3-4E7A-9E2A-CF4A8F04287B.jpeg

Underside
F7A0A9A8-79FA-49AD-B88F-836001FCD6E5.jpeg

Outside of frame, this part is unaffected
D6F7FC7B-FEA1-450E-AB48-B6B677AC4539.jpeg

Some good progress today. We have been working to match the original color, which we suspect is Colorado Beige (seems to be often referred to, affectionately I'm sure, as BandAid). We tried to match it at a local automotive paint supply--it was all done by eye. We got close but could not dial it in. I had heard about Finish Master and decided it was time to get them in the game. I took over an interior door piece that had some good original paint. They ran it through their scanner and got a very close match (my understanding is the computer gives them a percentage that relates to reliability of the color match being successful from the scan). A little tweaking (mainly adding a little red) and they had it. The matched paint looks on shade dark because it has some gloss to it. As you can see in the second picture, when we took the gloss off, it was almost a perfect match.

I had them create a formula so anybody who needs it can have it made up. It is for Axalta brand paint (which I guess used to be DuPont). The formula is in the pictures below.
713C3BF1-7B72-4AE3-814C-6836D228F1F0.jpeg
B3708FF8-0742-4C67-A7C4-DAF28377895C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been able to track down some nice fenders and hood from @Wadesters and doors from @mccaleb77--thank you very much to both of you. These are HUGE steps towards getting Dani back the way I want her to look. Now, just to get the parts to San Antonio. Anybody who is traveling from Atlanta to central Texas or Salt Lake City to central Texas that has some extra room for these parts, please let me know.

Happy 4th!!

Need to take a break from scraping old respray off.

Although I have her original carb, it is not the carb that was on her. She has a Carter YF single barrel carb. I’m going to refresh the Carter and get her running with it—will have the original carb rebuilt at a later time.

These carbs seem to be quite common so a rebuild kit was easy to find.

Getting ready for its spa day in the carb dip.

A514EB0D-8418-4596-93F8-71E4B5A707B5.jpeg

47E67C1C-4F5D-4427-A883-5BFF31E6E463.jpeg

76D42270-1D58-426E-83C3-E9030A3AB34D.jpeg

Getting closer to trying to get this girl started. Going over the wiring. Pulled the fuse block to clean it up. Looks like the 2 top 15A fuses still have a hint of blue—I can’t imaging they are original but maybe. Now the bottom 30A fuse—I’m having a hard time finding a part number for that one. If you see the Double Mint Twins, let them know I found their gum wrapper.

E4C48CD7-3EAC-4AAD-8C1B-ED77E79F793F.jpeg

Inching forward. Got the valve train cleaned up and back on. Cold set the valve clearances a little loose compared to spec given that they’re supposed to be set hot.

88383AB8-F246-4973-8F6F-0C8070AE9D85.jpeg

Gave the oil pump a spin with the drill. Didn’t get any oil to the head. Made sure all the passages and copper pipe clear. Did a little reading in the FSM and decided to take a look at the oil pressure regulator.
B7375BF3-0036-4E04-A30D-5757E0002E0A.jpeg

Sure enough, the little piston was stuck open. Got it all clean out and tested with compressed air to get it set to open at 50 PSI.

Little piston stuck open.
694BE470-8A60-4860-8616-EF76C79716DC.jpeg

Disassembled
D1BE8244-D881-4B14-8FD8-19C362E991BD.jpeg

Reassembled. Piston now in corrected position. Adjusted to open at approx 50 PSI.
DAE267B4-00AB-43A2-8DC1-49F4170D1741.jpeg

Great thread, love to see ya resurrecting that 45. Hopefully in future when I bring wife down to Fredericksburg to the Hangar Hotel y'all can bring the 45 over to show it off. I have possible CME in San Antone in Sept just can't bring myself to do it. IF I do maybe a beer is in order.

I swear I was bringing PIG project back from Durango to Grand Junction to Steamboat the same day you posted. We had breakfast in Ouray on way home.

My fondest memories are with my son road tripping back with a 100 series from Brownsville. Like your son we chowed on some BBQ as Tx Q is y favorite. Thanks for sharing!

You may not get oil to show with the drill trick. In the early F’s there are passageways in the crank that need alignment for the oil to make it up in the valve train. The FSM shows that. Pour some oil over the rockers before startup, then watch for the oil to show up.

Great thread, love to see ya resurrecting that 45. Hopefully in future when I bring wife down to Fredericksburg to the Hangar Hotel y'all can bring the 45 over to show it off. I have possible CME in San Antone in Sept just can't bring myself to do it. IF I do maybe a beer is in order.

I swear I was bringing PIG project back from Durango to Grand Junction to Steamboat the same day you posted. We had breakfast in Ouray on way home.

My fondest memories are with my son road tripping back with a 100 series from Brownsville. Like your son we chowed on some BBQ as Tx Q is y favorite. Thanks for sharing!

I need some CME too so maybe it is something I'd look into taking with you. What is it on? Either way, if your in SA, shoot me a message--I'd love to get a Shiner and a Zeigen Bock with ya. We're usually smoking brisket on the weekends so we could get you your BBQ fix as well.

I love Colorado--always miss it as soon as we leave. I really enjoyed Ouray but Durango is where we spend most of our time--I was whitekuckling it a few times on the road between the 2--awfully narrow and sharp drop offs in some areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom