The TexaCali 45 Emprise—Dani California Rising (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So that would be an interesting story I suppose about how that got broken. Seems like a pretty hefty part to break from a steering jam-up of sorts thing, something else in the steering chain would give before that (??). Is this common Mark @65swb45 ?

The welding is odd on it--it looks like it has some brass in the welding, almost like brazing? It is certainly going to be a Wall of Shame contender :p.

Probably 6-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other question. Should I drill out or grind off the rivets?

The welding is odd on it--it looks like it has some brass in the welding, almost like brazing? It is certainly going to be a Wall of Shame contender :p.

Probably 6-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other question. Should I drill out or grind off the rivets?

When I removed the manual pedestal on my 40 I ground the rivets down and punched them out with an air chisel. Works like a charm.

Drilling a hole helps with some of the stubborn rivets to collapse on themselves when heads are ground down and hit with an air chisel like @SipLife suggests.

Somebody got an F minus for welding in metal shop. Sheesh.

1AA1276F-E8A9-49CA-A597-156EB1B2AE9D.jpeg

It’s a darn good thing you didn’t DRIVE it home! :eek:

When I bought my blue 45 back in’94, it was only 30 miles away from my shop, and the seller was surprised that I didn’t want to drive it back. I test drove it around the sellers neighborhood and everything SEEMED to be working.

I had it towed.

When I dug into the axles and brakes a couple of weeks later, puffs of dust came out of the wheel cylinders. Not fluid! :eek:

Continuing to work through the steering. Pulled the steering wheel. Was going to pull off the turn signal hosing but it looks like they brazed/welded over the c-clamp on the end of the column shifter. Obviously, my shift handle went from OEM to “aftermarket” somewhere along the way as well.

Is the best thing to do at this point is get a “new“ (undamaged) column shift and turn signal housing? Any input is very much appreciated.

BDCC6C19-6FAC-44B2-B5BC-CD987D436ED7.jpeg

CE3E4F79-06C8-42D9-8EF7-5B316E3A4E5F.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a darn good thing you didn’t DRIVE it home! :eek:

When I bought my blue 45 back in’94, it was only 30 miles away from my shop, and the seller was surprised that I didn’t want to drive it back. I test drove it around the sellers neighborhood and everything SEEMED to be working.

I had it towed.

When I dug into the axles and brakes a couple of weeks later, puffs of dust came out of the wheel cylinders. Not fluid! :eek:

Ehh, that is scary. @65swb45 Mark, one of the first things I learned from reading your posts is that until the brakes and steering are fully worked out and safe, it should stay parked. Seems like common sense, but common sense ain’t so common no more 😜.

Dang Dean you keep running into PO shop class projects on your rig 😡.

Are you talking about where the shift column mounts to the housing (where yours is brazed/welded)? If so, no, Part G just threads into the turn signal housing.
F7529201-615E-4499-A81E-9900294FE824.png

You can see the threads in my ‘65’s housing (I’ve since replaced this one with one that has the turn signal cancellers).
IMG_3538.JPG

On edit:
I responded to your other thread Dean but I might wrong there. I only have parts doc to ‘65 and it shows threaded shift column into the turn signal housing. Does your ‘63 parts doc show a c-clipped column? My early ‘63 shift is threaded, but maybe it was replaced in the past 🤷‍♂️. Paul

Howdy all. I didn’t realize how long it has been since I posted.

We did the Cali portion of our TexaCali trip last year, we are currently on the Texa portion of that journey, in Edinburg, TX. Not planned of course. This came up and couldn’t pass on it for the price…

43A53EBB-AE74-4325-BF06-550129058F69.jpeg
2DD6C3BE-9487-49EA-90E1-D8A6785AA900.jpeg
42552E41-97E1-4675-B250-229AF896415F.jpeg

1967 FST. Believe it or not, runs, drives. Doesn’t stop though. Not much matter though as it is going to be a parts truck for Dani. Unfortunately, it was a ranch truck in south Texas and it’s frame has been hacked and it’s body is pretty eaten up in areas. I’ll post some additional pics tonight with pics of the specific parts I bought it for.

80D894E4-6215-461C-BE03-35564C3FAE7F.jpeg

Some very nice rare parts visible in the pictures. Congratulations on the score! If you need or want to get rid of the jump seats I would appreciate a shot at buying them.

Dean, back in about ‘94 I started telling people that when I ‘found’ my first 45 I thought I was lucky. When I ‘found’ the second I thought I was blessed. But by the third I realized that I was cursed!

Welcome to the addiction ! We’re here to help😉

Some very nice rare parts visible in the pictures. Congratulations on the score! If you need or want to get rid of the jump seats I would appreciate a shot at buying them.

The frames on them are terribly corroded and the seat portion of the frames are gone. About the only part of them that is still there are the back portion of the frame. I can send you some pics if you want.

Dean, back in about ‘94 I started telling people that when I ‘found’ my first 45 I thought I was lucky. When I ‘found’ the second I thought I was blessed. But by the third I realized that I was cursed!

Welcome to the addiction ! We’re here to help😉

So, so true. You always have a great way to sum up sentiments.

I very much appreciate the help (and Lord knows I need it)--you have been on so many occasions as I have worked through these beauties.

The frames on them are terribly corroded and the seat portion of the frames are gone. About the only part of them that is still there are the back portion of the frame. I can send you some pics if you want.
Thanks so much! I have a heavily patina'd early 40 I want to use them on, so pictures would be highly appreciated!

Hey Dean - just checking in curious how things cruiser-wise are going in your world. Hope all is well. Paul

Hey Dean - just checking in curious how things cruiser-wise are going in your world. Hope all is well. Paul

Hey Paul. Thank you for your post. All is well. We are in the process of building an area on the back of our 3 acre property where I can work on the trucks. My wife, God bless her, has been patient in letting me use all the garage space—but she’s ready to reclaim some of it. Hope all is well with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom