Builds The Teal Shpeal. A 7-'71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloKitty65

SILVER Star
Threads
I didn't really know what a rust free 46 year old body could be until seeing one in
Idaho. Later I spotted this rig offered
00n0n_5KoHjhW84O1_1200x900.jpg
locally on CL, a spring green FJ40 with Arizona roots and original paint. The seller pulled a disappearing act and I'd nearly lost hope, but now she sits in my garage.
Couldn't think of a name, but @RAGINGMATT could. Meet "The Teal Shpeal."
20181026_173329.jpg

Auxillary gas tank, a PTO winch and a few PO add ons (Chevy Custom Deluxe badges left and right).
Yup, the bezel was upside down.

Last edited:
What an awesome find, congratulations.

My favorite so far are the FJ62 Chrome Wagon's & w/ the Chrome headlight Bezel combination , they both go with Teal Shpeal's

body color code Very well !

I think u should definitely Pursue a set of FJ62 chrome Factory center caps for all 4 wheels

it was not that long ago , u could still purchase them New from the Dealership , maybe that's still the case :)

u have Scored a Very Nice Piece of " Vintage Toyota History " !

indexteq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. More TEQ history, perhaps common knowledge:
http: www.ben9166.com/2015/01/the-meaning-of-toyota-teq-tag.html?m=1

Super nice rig there! I bet most of that 'rust' will wipe off with a CLR bath.
I sure hope so. Gonna try it soon. Don't worry, I'll step away from the Citrus stripper too.

Do
Not
Repaint

Not on your life. Going to try to fill the PO holes with POR putty, and try to make them disappear with minimal disruption. Only body boo boo is some bondo on the right fender. Anyone have a perfect fender to match this 46 year old finish? A PO welded a hasp on the hood nose, but it's been removed and I'll be touching up that patch soon.

Beauty. Drive it and have fun.
Driving it is fun.A whole new world to 3 speed me, as it acquired a 4 speed along the way. But frankly, I'm afraid to get it wet, and will _never_ take it near the ocean (I'm 120 river miles inland).

20181030_215610.jpg

Last edited:
Stock grey wheels from Stella are going to this rig. She will get the FJ62 chrome wheels, and I plan to sell her (Stella, the '68) cheap.
I don't know if the bezel is a stock, or aftermarket. Anyone know how to tell? Mark once knew, so there is a way.
20181030_190827.jpg
View attachment 1827152

20181019_155410.jpg

I think you should name it “Cream Puff”! What a nice rig! Bet your glad all the pto bits are there!!

That'll be her nickname. And yes, I'm glad all those PTO bits are there. For other readers, I started with a seemingly inexpensive PTO winch from CL, and then, with Brian and others help, pieced the rest together for Miss Kitty. Something I imagine as akin to door-to-door combat. But seriously, Kudos to all Veterans out there this upcoming Veterans Day.

Congratulations on a super nice rig.

Super cool that it's unmolested and original. Really interested in the interior, good or bad. I'd sure like to see a bunch more pictures.

OK @JohnBoy: The inside; misc.; a PTO trap door, with I hope and think OEM hardware (having never seen said hardware before). Correct seats with PO added headrests, utilizing the mounting hardware which came unutilized inside US models. A few missing OEM knobs (throttle, choke, cigarette lighter, all to be added. A place for a Vader light (at the Post Office now). Toggle is the standard/auxiliary gas gage readout (not working). PO push button purpose, unknown. Nice working PO light in hole added over the ash tray. Will keep that for now.

A piercing in the transmission hump, courtesy of the switch to 4 speed?

Dome light works, yeah! Cup holder, now gone. Upholstery, all nice.
20181030_215803.jpg
20181030_215646.jpg
20181030_215800.jpg
20181028_204700.jpg
20181028_204651.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up, I'm going to enjoy this one.

Sad to see that old cup holder gone. A functional, all business drink holder which could probably do a great job maintaining a cold San Miguel beer down at the fishing hole.... if you can stand a Filipino pale lager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom