The Sweet-Spot of 100 Ownership-Very Subjective... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don’t hate on my bus transmission!!!!

4 speed is a tank.

To OP, the sweet spot in my opinion is anywhere around $10k for an 00-05 from 150k to 200k miles. Find that one owner, maintenance for everything, and you are set!

This leaves you room for upgrades without breaking bank.

15k-20k is too high for 100 series, because as you inch closer to 20k you are close 200 series and might as well save a few more pennies for that huge upgrade.

Don’t hate on my bus transmission!!!!

Unless you have the early 90s 80-series cruiser, you have an a343f, not the BUS TRANSMISSION

Avoid rusty examples. Interior trim/bits can get expensive so if you care about how good it looks inside, just buy one with a clean interior (rather than assuming you can easily fix it up). Pre-2003 non-nav models are pretty easy to swap out the stereo in, the others are not. Mileage is secondary to condition/history.

To be serious, I probably wouldn’t buy an unlocked 100 series. But it all depends on what your plans are for it. I’ve gone all over the place and settled on hoopty DIY. Lots of poor workmanship posts coming from me soon.

I have a 99 with factory rear locker and ARB front locker....If I had to do it again, I would happily go with a 2003-4 with the 5spd and pay for my own ARB rear locker. That 5spd makes a huge difference, much more than the VTEC.

I bought an 01 LX with 135k for $9,300, and it’s now three years later at 241k. I don’t feel a difference, and if I had kept it on the pavement, I wouldn’t see a difference (scratches etc). It really is all about condition and maintenance history.

I have a 99 with factory rear locker and ARB front locker....If I had to do it again, I would happily go with a 2003-4 with the 5spd and pay for my own ARB rear locker. That 5spd makes a huge difference, much more than the VTEC.

VTEC? On a Toyota/Lexus? :)

VTEC? On a Toyota/Lexus? :)
Yes...I got a donor motor from an S2000, but the power doesn't come on until about 7000rpm....I must have been multitasking when I wrote VTEC instead of VVTi. At least I didn't claim it had a hemi

Yes...I got a donor motor from an S2000, but the power doesn't come on until about 7000rpm....I must have been multitasking when I wrote VTEC instead of VVTi. At least I didn't claim it had a hemi

Yes, I understood what you meant, but it reminded me of 80 series owners that talk about their "V6" 1FZ-FE engine, and caused visions of "VTEC"/"Type-R" badges on the rear of a 100 series, so I had to give you a little grief.

Haha can you imagine having to drive a cruiser like an s2k? Would be too funny

Unless you have the early 90s 80-series cruiser, you have an a343f, not the BUS TRANSMISSION
True, however, rest of the world, 98-02's also had the A442F. So you'll see them talked about in the 100 section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom