The Sweet-Spot of 100 Ownership-Very Subjective... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
As vehicles age and the newest 100's are essentially 10 plus years old: What is the current "best age/mileage" of a vehicle? Assuming good maintenance etc of course.

125,000 miles on low end to 200,000 miles on upper end?

OR: Is my question just silly?

125k miles is very low on a 100 series and will always have a high price tag (assuming no atrocious wear)...just like any "low mileage" vehicle. 200k miles is "high mileage" for any other vehicle and will have a low price tag. It is not high mileage for a 100 series but still resulting in a similar low price tag. I think 200-250k is a good mileage range to get a sweet spot of a deal. Again assuming normal everything else.

180-240k, IMO, if you're referring to price alone. By 180s a maintained vehicle should have just had its 2nd timing belt job and if not, is a perfect tool for negotiation. Also it's plenty of mileage to have eaten through a lot of the consumable rubber bits like bushings and you'll know quickly what needs to be replaced if it hasn't already.

Mileage doesn't really matter in my experience with these. Condition and maintenance records do.

:)

I sold my 98 LX at 250K because I was worried about putting time and money in upgrades into such an old vehicle. I bought my 06 LX with 135K. Looking back I wonder why I did it. The 06 has a lot of improvements but no rear locker. I'm not disappointed in the 06 but not sure if it was worth the cost difference. Anyway, I just started doing some mods, so let's see how it goes.

This is what I'm getting at.
Figuring in cost curve as well..........
Thanks for feedback!

I was close to purchasing a 06 LX Onyx for 26k. Glad I got the 01 for 8500. I’ve put a lot into it maintenance wise. More than mods.

I just wanted it to be reliable for me and the family. End of year I’ll do cv work.

I mod as I see the need...it keeps cost down for me.

Just buy the newest you can afford that’s in good shape.

I have a 2000 TLC with 178k for $10.5k. It was the sweetest deal I could've found in my area because the engine/drivetrain was well maintained and it came lifted with a bull bar. I'm in love with it and probably will never sell it.

Best thing about it is it's over the hill of it's luxury life and I don't have to worry when i get a chance to take it off road. If i had a 2006 in excellent condition, It would be a mall crawler only.

A well maintained rig for a good price and sub 200k miles is the sweet spot, doesn't matter what year.

Last edited:
newest & lowest mileage is generally the best because oldest and highest mileage is generally not the best.

My 2007 has less than 40K on it. Owned it since new. Always garaged. No snow. Probably be buried in it.

From strictly a use perspective, if you want a rear locker, 98-99. If not, then I'd go with a newer LX. If budget is a concern then I don't think we can give you an answer, aside from the fact that miles don't mean much with these vehicles. You'll find plenty of 100 series vehicles that feel newer and younger than most 4 year old vehicles. It's all about how it's been cared for.

Avoid rust. That's about the only universal truth here.

I think the sweet-spot would be the initial price you pay and knowing how well the truck has been maintained.
Then take into account the big dollar parts for higher mileage later on.

Mine needed a master cylinder at 160,000 miles and a steering rack at 200,000. Doing your own work takes some of the sting out.
It is better than car payments and high taxes.

I've owned several cruisers over the years, if there's 2 advice i can give you is that, don't get a rusty one, and try to go for the 03+, the 5spd is very nice to drive and less clunky than a 4spd.

I've owned several cruisers over the years, if there's 2 advice i can give you is that, don't get a rusty one, and try to go for the 03+, the 5spd is very nice to drive and less clunky than a 4spd.

Don’t hate on my bus transmission!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom