The Sweet Sound of a 1FZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
I've had an exhaust leak on the 80 for about 5 weeks now. Yesterday I finally got it taken care of. Cut the exhaust just in front of the stock muffler (where the weld had broken) and ran a straight pipe back and dumped it right behind the rear control arm bracket on the passenger side. It's a temporary pipe until I decide if I want a muffler or not. Once I make that decision I'll have the shop route it up and and out of the way.

A non-muffled 1FZ is a beautiful thing. It sounds a lot like the Magnaflow but a bit higher pitched and more throat. If that makes any sense. No real noticable difference in performance. Perhaps a bit more pull above 4k RPM but since I'm never up that high I doubt I gained anything but a better sound. I hope to run two fill ups through it by next monday to see if there is a MPG difference. I'll post some pics once I settle on the final routing.
dmc

This thread is useless without. . . . . soundbites!!! :)

IMO the first restriction lies in the downpipe and more so the dual in line converters on the 95 and up... until this is dealt with, throwing on any type hi-po after converter exhaust will not gain much.

Since you need a muffler, drop me a PM, I have various Borla mufflers for cheap! (different than the ones listed in the forsale section).

Sounds more like a real truck now, huh Dave. About a month ago I worked over my exhaust - hi flow cats, 2-1/2 pipe all the way back and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Friend of mine helped me do it, and we smogged it after, good to go. Also set the timing to 10 deg. Now it shifts smoothly thru all gears and no dead spots, just acceleration. MPG, the same but more HP for sure.

Well I just went for a quick run into the hills during lunch. Even got to use the lockers in some muddy whoops. :bounce2: It feels like I lost a little back pressure/compression on the steep declines. It may be all in my head or that my brakes have gone to mush in the last 2 weeks but that is the current seat of the pants eval. Still not sure if I'll keep it pipe for awhile or if i'll step up to being legal with a muffler. As of now i'm into it $40 so it's a pretty inexpensive experiment.
dmc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom