The Story of Blue

YezusLX

SILVER Star
This relay is located on the backside of the fuse box you have just replaced correct?

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
This relay is located on the backside of the fuse box you have just replaced correct?
No, it is in the main fuse block near your battery, under the hood. Very easily accessible!
1660674674605.png

YezusLX

SILVER Star
Whelp, I guess this is going on the list whenever the alternator and radiator decide to show up. Thanks for the tip. The surprises on this thing are no longer welcome here. Hahaha

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
My 13 yr old and 10 yr old volunteered to help with the sound insulation project. They helped me the last time too when I stripped the interior off the old 98 and had the floor patched and then covered in butyl sound deadener and then some closed cell foam. So they wanted to help with this one too.

Well - about an hour and half later I have the interior all stripped down. I am pleasantly surprise how much more asphalt type coating is already on the body!! Ans thankfully no rust or unwanted holes.

20220816_152508.jpg

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
The trip went great. 2000 miles round trip with a full day of dunes bashing at Silver Lake Dunes, MI. We had our ICECO fridge run 24/7 off the house battery with no issues. A couple of time the main starting battery was drained and the truck won't crank. Not sure why, since the two times it happened the truck had sat for only 3-4 hours. Both times I just jumped the starter battery from house battery and got on my way.
I have a Blue Sea ML-ACR relay to disconnect the two batteries when car is not running. I am surprised that the house battery had no voltage drop but the starter battery ran low! Perhaps there is a bad cell in the starter battery (1.5 yrs old!) that causes it to randomly lose charge?

In any case, I plan to install the remote switch that can connect the two batteries for jump starting.

Playing on dunes was a ton of fun. Didn't take too many pictures (we were having fun instead!). I learnt that @J1000 was right, AHC has little to no dampening effect when run in softest mode. At one point going through the sand waves, I had hard time keeping the truck from jumping! We were told by another family that we had our front wheels lifting almost a foot off the ground!!

20220908_140308.jpg

sand dune stuck_clean.jpg
20220909_124545.jpg

Last edited:

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
A little bit of maintenance at 180,578 miles.

Replace the remaining 6 ignition coils with new Denso units. Also, checked that all spark plugs are torqued properly. Glad to report there was no oil seepage from the valve cover!

Ah, and also changed oil and filter. A quick 15 min, no tools affair, thanks to the Fomoto valve.

20220919_125858.jpg

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
The trip went great. 2000 miles round trip with a full day of dunes bashing at Silver Lake Dunes, MI. We had our ICECO fridge run 24/7 off the house battery with no issues. A couple of time the main starting battery was drained and the truck won't crank. Not sure why, since the two times it happened the truck had sat for only 3-4 hours. Both times I just jumped the starter battery from house battery and got on my way.
I have a Blue Sea ML-ACR relay to disconnect the two batteries when car is not running. I am surprised that the house battery had no voltage drop but the starter battery ran low! Perhaps there is a bad cell in the starter battery (1.5 yrs old!) that causes it to randomly lose charge?

In any case, I plan to install the remote switch that can connect the two batteries for jump starting.

Playing on dunes was a ton of fun. Didn't take too many pictures (we were having fun instead!). I learnt that @J1000 was right, AHC has little to no dampening effect when run in softest mode. At one point going through the sand waves, I had hard time keeping the truck jumping! We were told by another family that we had our front wheels lifting almost a foot off the ground!!

View attachment 3119490

View attachment 3119491View attachment 3119496

I think I have figured out the issue with my ML-ACR. I didn't know that black wire needs to be connected to the ground even if you don't want to use the remote switch! Looks like the relay was effectively just a direct connection between the two batteries and never actually disconnected them ever!

Here's a wiring diagram from Blue Sea:
1663773385151.png

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star

YezusLX

SILVER Star
I saved you guys from seeing my ugly mug!
Your ugly mug is a face only a Land Cruiser owner could love. You beautiful troll you! and Mrs. Jalopy of course.

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
what's the story with your coil wire repairs?
Bought the truck last year with extensive wiring damage caused by mice. Got a smoking deal by a fellow mudder. Check out this first few posts of this thread, it been a journey!

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
I got myself some DBA rotors and pads for rear - hoping to address that soon.
Another issue that noticed on our last trip is excessive pressure releasing from the gas cap every time I open it for filling. I know this is a fairly well discussed issue, but I don't know of one solution that might have worked for anyone.
My engine and trans temps are all fairly good with no spikes and the fuel filter is new in the last 10k miles.
@87warrior I remember you had a similar issue once you installed the LRA tank! Did replacing the vapor canister help?

YezusLX

SILVER Star
I don't know if this has anything to do with the price of tea in China but I use non-ethanol gas. I have not experienced this issue or excessive pressure build-up. Could there be some correlation between this and new fuel formulation rules?

ClassyJalopy

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
I don't know if this has anything to do with the price of tea in China but I use non-ethanol gas. I have not experienced this issue or excessive pressure build-up. Could there be some correlation between this and new fuel formulation rules?
Should've mentioned, I used 91 octane, ethanol free gas exclusively so hopefully it isn't a factor.

YezusLX

SILVER Star
Should've mentioned, I used 91 octane, ethanol free gas exclusively so hopefully it isn't a factor.
Now, I am super curious. Maybe we should just switch to methanol? JP-8?

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Now, I am super curious. Maybe we should just switch to methanol? JP-8?
Yak's piss.

Hard to find, but easier than finding gas under $3.

Jesus, y’all spoil you’re rigs at the pump. Regular here and living at higher elevation with no issues. You’ll enjoy those brakes, got all my rear gear ready to go on this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom