The steps/process of taking my dash out?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
THe crappy Pioneer radio in my 87 FJ-60 is done (see post in chat). The way the radio is mounted is using the stock brackets mounted from the inside. So in order to change the radio the dash needs to come out. I want to try this myself since I refuse to pay the people at the shop to do this again. So what are the steps in taking the dash out to change the radio, please explain like you are talking to a two yr old. The radio that put the radio in in the first place had the dash out a few times, but I never watched what they did when they pulled the radio and the dash. So please give me the steps in the process of removing the dash.

Thanks,
Zack

Super super easy....total of about 4-5 bolts and that's its. Remove glove box radio and i think you need to remove instrument cluther. With those gone you should be able to get to all the bolts. Then the dash will lift right out. Pretty straight forward.

Jason

BigSur said:
Super super easy....total of about 4-5 bolts and that's its. Remove glove box radio and i think you need to remove instrument cluther. With those gone you should be able to get to all the bolts. Then the dash will lift right out. Pretty straight forward.

Jason

that pretty much sums it up. take out the glove box, losen the 2 bolts up in the back there. you might have to remove the heater ducts as well.
then take out the instrument cluster (completely), and losen the 2 bolts in there.
then take out the 2 bolts on the side of the dash.
then pull the dash towards you, since there are 2 slide in brackets that hold it in place as well.
re-installation is the other way around. make sure the slide in brackets are aligned well.
while you have it open, clean out the 4 dogs the previous owner lost in there, to limit fire danger.
Not hard, but a bit of a pain, IMO.
j

Any tricks to taking out the instrument cluster?

Not sure that we are talking bout the same thing. To just get the plastic dash facing out (to get to radio) all you have to do is look all over it for screws. Remove screws. Pull panel. Pretty easy.

To get the cluster out you might find it easier to tilt the wheel down.

Don't forget to reconect the speedo if you pull the cluster, or you'll have to redo it. :(

So do all the instruments need to come out or just the face plate?

The entire dash must come out, I know that for sure! Well that is if your radio is mounted like mine from behind, using the stock brackets.

Zack

toyman317 said:
So do all the instruments need to come out or just the face plate?

The instruments are attached to the face plate. They all come out together as one unit. Remove screws, unplug the speedo cable, and the electrical connector, and out it comes. Only trick on the instruments is the speedo cable. It's got a plastic catch that clips it onto the back of the speedo head. You pinch it to open it up so it releases.

That doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom