the start of my wrap/track bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
getting everything together to build my wrap bar.
will update pics/progress as i go along.
these are some of the parts i've got to get me started.
hopefully it will be like the JK CUSTOM bar. single bar,three mounting points.
x-bar for the front mount will be made from 2x3 stock bolted to the frame behind the skid plate.(will cut the skid plate in two,to accomodate the x-member)
the bar will be 2x2 with gussetts,look's like i'm going to be able to run the full length of the drive shaft.
using an old spring eye for the front pivot with a johnny joint on the front of the bar.
thats all for now...............I'LL BE BACK! :D
DSC00166.JPG

x-member mocked up.....

everythings coming together.....hehehehe ;)
DSC00169.JPG
DSC00170.JPG

mine ..

tractionb2.jpg

sorry for the pic quality, but itś ony the camera on my movil phone ..

tractionb4.jpg

where do you plan to weld the new crossmember .. ?

x-member is going

right behind the skid plate.
i'm going to cut the part of the skid plate off that covers the cat. convertor.
the x-m should sit right under the rear flange and butt up against the skid plate.
i'll re-attach the cat. conv. part of the s/p somehow.
the pivoting shackle will extend upward.
i've got it figured that the bar will run the full length of the drive shaft.
still need to cap the ends(diamond plate) and gusset the x-member.
next update will be monday. :cool:

i value all your opinions

welded the johnny joint to my bar last night.
beveled the edges of the johnny where the weld would lay,and beveled the bar also.
was having flash problems with my helmet(my eyes kinda hurt this morn) so my welds arent the best.
my question is: should i try to add some support to the johnny or leave it alone,and would you clean up the welds on the sides or leave them alone also?

thanx in advance
jim
DSC00173.JPG
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00175.JPG

I mean, you welded the join to the bar ..? how can you adjust it .. ? to get real tight..?

In my bar I do a thread and screw the join first, cut the bar, put the bushins bla bla bla .. instal it, and try and error to tight it, unscrew the join.

I use the winch to get more tighten to the bar.

Tapage said:
I mean, you welded the join to the bar ..? how can you adjust it .. ? to get real tight..?

In my bar I do a thread and screw the join first, cut the bar, put the bushins bla bla bla .. instal it, and try and error to tight it, unscrew the join.

I use the winch to get more tighten to the bar.

what needs to be adjusted?
the rear of the bar still needs to be fabbed up to the axle,with everything set up,i wouldnt think adjustments going to be nesesary.
i guess we'll see.

2badfjs said:
what needs to be adjusted?
the rear of the bar still needs to be fabbed up to the axle,with everything set up,i wouldnt think adjustments going to be nesesary.
i guess we'll see.

I has the idea, that I nedd to tight it .. ! maybe I'm wrong, but if you don't tight it maybe you can really control de axle wrap, that you will be continue having some wrap why, off course the play in the busching .. ( I lready have poly bushing over there )

you might get a little wrap

no matter what.
to get absolutly no wrap, you would need a bar thats mounted totaly solid.

It looks like you got good penetration despite your helmet acting up. If you are still unsure of your welds, you could lay two small beads over the existing beads to reinforce the joint. I'm guessing it is probably ok though.

I don't think that the wrap will be forceful enough to break those welds, will it? It looks prett snazy. Are you welding the x-member to the bottom of the frame or into the channels? Wait, it's boxed back there, so you must be welding to the bottom, right?

:beer:

i'm making it

GLTHFJ60 said:
I don't think that the wrap will be forceful enough to break those welds, will it? It looks prett snazy. Are you welding the x-member to the bottom of the frame or into the channels? Wait, it's boxed back there, so you must be welding to the bottom, right?

:beer:

bolt on with some small tack welds, so the x-member can be removed if it needs to be.
i'm using the skid plate mounting holes for the mounting.and should be able to grind off small welds if need be.
probably do some more work on it this weekend and get some more pics.

update...

worked on the bar a little monday.
got the angles figured out (hopefully)
will gusset the bar for strength and support.
got one bracket made for the axle mounts.
still need to cut the other.
x-member is done(mostly)
just a couple of progress pics......
johnny joint was a pain in the arss to press together
DSC00190.JPG
DSC00189.JPG

thats what i forgot.....

Tapage said:
I wan to see where do you weld this X member .. ;)

:doh: i'll get a pic tonight.
it's semi bolted up for mock-up right now.

x-member for tapage

the pic didnt come out to well
i'll try to get a better one later.
actually it sucked............sorry
DSC00192.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like some very nice, very professional looking work there, 2bad. You plan on selling the design to someone who can mass produce it? Looks like something like that would be a good investment once I'm able to do the SOA (or for anyone with an SOA'd 60/62).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom