The snorkle-hose thingy between air filter and throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
ok took my cruiser in for service new belts,pads ect... i get a call from him saying the hose or snorkle (as he put it) that goes between my air filter and throttle body needs to be replaced said something about it being rotted out or something. So heres my question does this happen? im in arizona and my cruiser always has been, so rotting doesnt sound too likey. i just washed my cruiser and it looked fine when i last looked at it. do you think hes giving me the run about? If i do need one i must say cruiser dan is the greatest as his price quote was over $30 cheeper then what my dealer quoted me. ok now post now

mike

I guess that you didn't believe me when I told you that I have seen failures in this hose? Living in AZ has nothing positive to do with the lifespan of a rubber part in an engine compartment. My bet is that hose is as hard as a rock. When new it is very flexible, as it ages it becomes hard and brittle just like ateries. As this hose ages it it possible to break it when accessing the air filter. A crack will cause the engine to run lean and stumble. It may be that the hose cracked when the fellow opened up the air cleaner, not necessarily his fault.

no i belived you i just thought id ask other people as well. Ill see what it looks like when i get it back and get in touch with you about it if i need it or not. thanks again

mike

I cannot answer specifically about that part, but I did live in Yuma for seven years. The lack of humidity is great for metal, but the heat in the southwest is hard on rubber and plastic (which I'm now paying for in body trim on my GN). Cheers...

I'm fully aware of the cracks that happen in that tube. They'll happen on the bottom of the ribbed or bellow section from lifting it up to get the top of the air cleaner clear of the center hold down bolt. So paranoid am I about cracking mine (also hardened despite an easy life in a dry cool climate) that I now loosen the hose clamps and pull it off the intake side so there's zero flexing at filter change time.

DougM

mike, i have that piece sitting in my garage since I put in the s/c last year. Don't know that it's in great shape but I don't think it's cracked or anything. I'll be happy to send it to you if you cover the postage.
Mike R.
Riverside, CA

my 92 fj80 came from Arizona in 1995(when I bought it) it had 70k on it and the hose was hard as a rock and cracked. I replaced it, 150k latter it's still pliable like new......I live in WA. I actaully think the heat in Arizona prolly cuased it to dry up more so then in the mild WA climate.

also the wiper blades were rock hard and falling apart......heat(and lake of rain) I suspect

If cracked it will not run correct.

John H

I got my 80 in Utah (it was from Nevada)....

Every :ban: part that has rubber on it is questionable....almost done replacing it all.

I'm with doug here. I think I paid 65 bucks for the inner one on my 92. the truck will run like crud until you seal it. also with doug as I remove the hose from the intake body prior to cleaning the air filter.
Dave

[quote author=clownmidget link=board=2;threadid=8002;start=msg67699#msg67699 date=1069741688]
mike, i have that piece sitting in my garage since I put in the s/c last year. Don't know that it's in great shape but I don't think it's cracked or anything. I'll be happy to send it to you if you cover the postage.
Mike R.
Riverside, CA
[/quote]

i might be intresed in it maybe you could send me some pics of it when you get a chance that would be great.

i guess i didnt relize this was such an issue but then again i dont know why i didnt see it before. thanks guys i pick up my cruiser today and today that ARB goes on :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There are 2 different 1FZ hoses 93-94 and 95 up. They will not interchange.

Isn't 1995 the first year for the LX450?

If your 80 is 95+ the hose will work on the LX

Since you rig is not in your sig line I brought up the different hoses.

I replaced mine 2 years ago. When I first bought the rig I changed the dirty air filter, its a tight fit to get the tall filter out, meaning the hose does bend a bit. Sure enough I put a crack in along one of the ribs. Didnt knwo about it and was getting inconsistant idling,etc. At the time wasent doing much to the rig and paid for it!

Chris
94 LC
AZ

hey do you think a cracked hose could effect gas milage?
i thought i was gettting kinda s***ty gas milage all he sudden you think this could be a reason why? or maybe i just have a lead foot?

thanks mike

Dan, whatchoo talkin bout willis?

I loved how it post-inserted it :) didn't know I had the ability to do such a thing when I subscribed. thought you had to get above 500 posts or so to get the upgrade of a sig line then another 500 to get a picture.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in but since the hose is after the MAF sensor it reasons that it would be running leaner that it normally would, ie, getting more air into intake than computer is "reading". How this is integrated across all the other factors responsible for your MPG, including your foot, is tough to say. I can say that these just don't get great gas mileage. Like many have said here, be happy when it's above 11 MPG :eek:

Mike R

yeah i understand, im running like 10 MPG and i havent really done anything to it hell its almost stock. as far as the tube ill let you guys know im going to go pick it up now

mike

Last tank was 100% around town short trips in cold weather and we got 12.7MPG. Totally stock, well tuned, synthetics throughout. Highway MPG is around 17 at 70-75MPH.

DougM

That pesky hose...yet another reason to get the S/C. That hose just goes away :D

By the way, I usually get about 14mpg. ::)

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom