The Skinny about tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was sold on 34x9.50 Swampers on stock rims for my FJ but I'm having second thoughts. This weekend at a large club meet I saw one that had one of the large outer lugs torn clean off. Also,the meet was in a sand pit and the skinnies may not fare well in that environment. I also talked to an FJ aftermarket shop and they said the skinnies like to pull off of rims and "turn under" when bagged.
My rig doesn't have power steering so I'm not sure what tire to go with. 9.00x16 Directionals are popular with the pulpwooders and are reasonably priced so I'm now considering these.Anybody have any ideas as to what tire works well with "Armstrong steering"?

IMO, armstrong steering = 12.5 tire width max. The 9.5 skinnies are more prone to coming off the rim, look into a 33x10.5 BFG maybe on a 7" rim. The 9.5 tire also works well on a 6 or 6.5 rim (stock Cruiser is nice)

Also check the Truxus from SuperSwamper....heard good things, and a 34x10.5 is available.

And yer right, skinnies suck in sand. :D

chalk up another point for the fatties!! :D

You may also want to look into the SS LTB in 34x10.5...its kind of like the TSL but diffrent.hahah...but everything i have read says they are a good tire ect ect. Plus they are CHEAP compared to other Super swampers... 108-115 bucks is what i have seen online...and if you can get them from 4wheelparts.com they are 108.00 each plus catch em on a free shipping day..you got a deal...I plan on running these bad boys on my 75 with armstrong steering once i get my tax money back :D

here is the link to the 4wheel parts place page with the tire on it

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=2045&occlass=INTE&cat=TIR

Good luck

I'm going to run the 34 x 10.5 on a 7" rim with manual steering on my 40. Many moons ago I used to run 34 x 12.5's on my 40 with armstrong steering, it wasn't much worse than the 10 x 15's on stock rims, but I was in shape back then. I want the height but not the width, so the new LTB seems like the ticket. Anyone know exactly why these are cheaper?

As far as a four wheel drive vehicle goes he only thing I like thin tires for is snow on a paved road. They seem to bite through to the road better. After that Ill take a fat one anyday.

Anyone know exactly why these are cheaper?

i heard they are made out of the country so labor is cheaper or something like that. ???

anyone else make a 33 by 9.5 r15 mudder?i know big o makes one ???

anyone else make a 33 by 9.5 r15 mudder?i know big o makes one  ???
Several other manufacturers make the 33x9.5, email me or call for more information please.

Holy old post.

x2

I don't know how those guys in '03 were driving, but my 31x9.5s at 10psi on stockers were pretty much unstoppable in the sand. I suppose if I had a V8 and I was more into hill climbing and jumping I'd want something wider.

I've got some of the BigO 33x9.5 Mud Terrains. They're more like all terrains, a bit noisy, but not bad tires. They measure about 32" at 40psi. They rub just a tiny bit on the steering arm and the tub in the rear with stock suspension.

I posted pictures of my '40 sporting both tires in this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom