Builds The Sister Wife - Dottie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Redwood

Amateur 4Wheeler/Pitmaster
Threads
If you have ever seen the movie "Armageddon", there is a scene when the guy at the observatory find the comet and wants to name it. Since this is my first FJ60, I have always liked that scene and thought it was funny.

So I recently purchased this FJ60 from @woytovich and hope to continue to make this beauty better with ever change. Since the truck has been built so well, I only have the small things that make it personal to my family as part of the joy ride called life. When Dotty was first seen on the MUD classified, I was giddy like a little school kid, but had to get the bosses approval to purchase such a stallion. At first she was a solid NO, because it didn't have a read seat and looked like it was going to run over the local towns people. After a week of wearing her down to a toothpick in size, I contacted Mark and we chatted. He was out playing at the Coal Miners ride and was going to be gone all weekend. I was nervous all weekend hoping someone didn't bring cash to the event and buy it on the spot. Obviously, that didn't happen.

The following week, My wife caught COVID, so I thought I was going to have to wait yet another week before I could arrange to pick it up. Turns out, after multiple tests, I never caught it from her and Mark was cool with me making a trip down based on a morning phone call. I rented a Uhaul trailer from the local shop and down to Long Island, NY from here in New Hampshire. The trip was easy, and Mark was waiting for me when I arrived. I did a quick once over, and he explained some of the cool additions he had made, and the truck was loaded and on the road we went. I had luckily stopped at the local trucker station on the way and picked up some trucker straps for cargo. This allowed me to connect them to where the tire straps are normally and ratchet the 38s down nice and snug.

Upon getting "Dottie" home, it was time to get to work. I hate MUD, literally! So my first order of business was to get this girl polished up for a date. I completed the 4 step process, starting with clay bar, then compound, polish, and finally a fresh coat of wax. Now she is smooth and shiny. My second order of business was to get the wheels and tires addressed. The truck came with Swampers, but I really don't her wearing combat boots on a daily basis. So I drove over to a local shop, ordered a new pair of shoes for her. We decided on some 17X9 wheels and 35x12.5R17 ProComp Xtreme MT2 tires. They should be here in the next day or two.

Clean_FJ60.jpg

Lastly I needed to address the main complaint from the wife. Better seats and adding the rear bench seat back into the mix for the crumb snatchers. I luckily live about 20 minutes from Cruiser Creations and talked with Jay about getting some better seats. The truck came with the front seats, but had been switched out for some Scion seats. They were comfortable, but I wanted a matched set to start with. Jay told me he had a set from an FJ62 that were either leather or vinyl, but it great condition with no rips,tears, or marks, but really dirty and needed a good cleaning. After some good ole fashion elbow grease and a large amount of cleaning and conditioner, the seats have been installed and waiting for the seatbelts for the rear to arrive.

Clean_Front.jpg

Clean_Back.jpg

John... very exciting, and a little sad, to see the truck having another life. I'm so happy it is with someone that is going to take such good care!

The anticipation of getting a cruiser is truly insane. The worry is real….. I have had a few cruisers snatched from me that Devastated me.

I remember buying my first cruiser a couple moths ago… I bought it as my personal sweet 16 gift lol. I was really eager and super exited to get my Cruiser, it was a ways away from me. The guy who I bought it from made it very clear that he wouldn’t sell it to anyone else, he was really nice and could tell that all I wanted in the world was a Cruiser - and he was right. It was all I could talk about, and now I happily own it and give her the best life possible.

Wish I could say that my 2nd cruiser buying experience was as good. It wasn’t, some people are just jerks.

Super glad to read your thread, very exciting and am glad the cruiser is at a good home with you!

Cheers.

Last edited:
The anticipation of getting a cruiser is truly insane. The worry is real….. I have had a few cruisers snatched from me that Devastated me.

I remember buying my first cruiser a couple moths ago… I bought it as my personal sweet 16 gift lol. I was really eager and super exited to get my Cruiser, it was a ways away from me. The guy who I bought it from made it very clear that he wouldn’t sell it to anyone else, he was really nice and could tell that all I wanted in the world was a Cruiser - and he was right. It was all I could talk about, and now I happily own it and give her the best life possible.

Wish I could say that my 2nd cruiser buying experience was as good. It wasn’t, some people are just jerks.

Super glad to read your thread, very exciting and am glad the cruiser is at a good home with you!

Cheers.

C9D45454-2BA3-46A4-B741-83D2DADB1F0A.jpeg

E0F986B0-A631-41D3-8822-C80CAF3272A7.jpeg

So next in my bucket list of items to change.

Ripping out the rubber floor coating, checking for any rusted areas, POR15 the flooring and then paint.

I was lucky enough to read the thread about the amazing carpet option from @dnp, so that is ordered. Once the interior is pulled back out, it will be time to sand and paint all the seat brackets and other metal trim pieces that have a bit of top rust.

Good choice, I hope removing the floor crap goes well. That was there from a PO when I got the truck and I never had the gumption to deal with removing it. Post pics of what you find underneath.

PS: and don't forget to order up a supply of FluidFilm (etc) for the underside!

So this morning I woke up thinking if this rubber flooring liner is going to be a nightmare to get off, I'd better start now. So with my trusty razor blade and a 5-way tool, I begin the process of removing the liner from the inside of the truck.

Side_Panels_Off.jpg

30 Minutes in:

30_Min.jpg

First Rust, but not bad:

Back_Rust.jpg

Forbidden Bacon:

Forbidden_Bacon.jpg

Final Photos later today.

Well the rain started here in New Hampshire, so pictures will be taken tomorrow. I got all but the passenger front area completed.

Found a small area of rot on the passenger rear area at the door and wheel well area. Should be a small metal patch, nothing that a quick cut and weld won’t fix.

The overall flooring is in great shape. IH8 Rubber floor liner! You cannot inspect for damage without ripping it out and starting over.

Tomorrow is Friday!

Phase 2 Cont.

So after applying the degreaser, then drying. I hit all the floor with the metal etching/prep. After sitting 20 minutes (yeah, I read the directions), and making sure everything was nice and dry. I began coating the floor with POR15.

Since carpet will be covering it, not too worried about appearance.
5DBAD363-7096-4D47-A723-8D6762F2915C.jpeg

So now I sit on the back porch for the next 2 hours until it sets and can put the topcoat POR15 down for an overnight dry.

Still researching sound mat. I noticed that Noice is actually made in Russia, so just to keep myself from thinking about it, I’m looking for alternatives. Any suggestions that won’t get me in trouble with the wife?

Phase 2 Cont.

After allowing the POR15 to dry to a finger drag dryness, applied the topcoat which will also add UV protection. I don’t think I need the UV protection since I’ll have sound deadening material down, but a second coat never hurts.

So now that I went through this, now I’m going to get into the rear access panel area and clean and lay down two coats. Might as well use up the rest of the POR.

Order the 80mil Siless Butyl mat and the 157mil Siless closed cell foam. I’ve read both together help with noise and add insulation.

Ordered the rear seatbelts, and waiting on 4WP to ship the wheels and tires. Next week is gonna be another busy one if the carpet also comes in. 😱

Where did you order the Butyl mat and foam, from? I need to do this (after 15 years :) )

(I bet Mark's happy this truck found such a good home and it's being documented!)

Phase 2 Complete!

Went through the process in the rear panel areas. Some tight areas that would have been easier with a can and spray nozzle, but got it done. Yes the wiring needs some attention, which will happen before it all gets buttoned up.

E3C44519-D81C-4BF8-9870-53222CFBBBBE.jpeg

So just for my knowledge, what is the blade fuse for back here? Def going to let this dry and figure out how to keep the fuel vapor and fuse panel tight and secure with no rattle.

1602C60F-91A1-4CD0-A5D2-2AAC460BFBDD.jpeg

Lastly, I’ve been hunting for something randomly making noise underneath. I think this might have been it flapping. A piece of exhaust heat shielding that has seen better days.

C706DD13-1E68-46A1-B4AE-DD270C25CE71.jpeg

That quarter-panel fuse block is not factory, and why it was added next to fuel vapor lines is anybody's guess...

I'm not 100% sure what that fuse panel was put there for. It may be for the upper hatch lights with the expectation of eventually adding over landing power back there. The wiring on the other side was from the previous owner to me for a trailer lighting connector.

John, I have a replacement for that heat shield for you here. As a matter of fact I have a couple of those heat shields from underneath that I will get to you.

Phase 3: Sound deadening

Got some goodies from the post office this morning!

345DF5E6-846D-4F3F-82C0-36CC002AA231.jpeg

Man this stuff is not quick to put in. The sound mat took the better part of the day to properly put on each area. For anyone curious, I purchased (2) 36SqFt packages of both the mat and the foam. I used all the mat except for a single sheet

7C93E5B6-002C-4227-B151-0F852EEDE7DA.jpeg

After a quick lunch break (at 3pm) I turned to the closed cell foam. This stuff you have to be a little bit more careful with because once it sticks, pulling it up ruins that foam. I took my time and made sure I kept the seams close as possible. Finished the day with the passenger side and center console area left.
AAA54A3D-0AC7-4964-AF5A-A547183FB34C.jpeg

Finally, I got a little note from @dnp that my carpet will arrive on Thursday, so it’s gonna be a great week to get this interior done.

Looks great! Be advised that you may have to trim a little off the very outboard edges of the cargo area to provide enough room for the rear side panels and carpet to fit in place together. Also (and you may be heading that way next), it doesn't look like you have any of these sound deadeners in the quarters, but if you want to make a profound difference, add it to the quarters and exterior door skins! You won't believe the difference in just the sound - or lack thereof - in closing your doors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom