Builds The Sheepdog this thing is hairy! july 1977 blue fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pick this up over the weekend. Its a rusty mess in the back and will need every panel replaced.
This is my first 40 and major project. But as a machinist fabricator and prototype maker I should be able to fumble thru. Not going for perfection on this just going for nice enough.
upload_2018-8-22_21-29-55.png

upload_2018-8-22_21-30-30.png

upload_2018-8-22_21-32-57.png

As usual there was some odd stuff left by the PO
The expensive tooth paste. Good to see he cared for his teeth.
upload_2018-8-22_21-46-18.png

and the old Tylenol tin. That was probably older then the PO.
upload_2018-8-22_21-48-47.png

Sorry fellas my pharmacist buddy called dibs on them
upload_2018-8-22_21-50-47.png

And the fix on the fly wrench assortment.

Great attitude and project! Never finished but always satisfying to drive. The pooch can pass you tools while you're under the truck. You WILL spend time under the truck! BTW, not sure what perfection is, anyway.

Welcome to the fray and thank you for saving her. Good luck and keep posting photos.

What I want to know is what’s under that good looking floor mat?

Sticking my neck out here. If you're not looking to do a oem restoration, youll save yourself hundreds of hours and probably not spend much more money if you just swap the 3/4 tub out with an aqualu aluminum tub.

My tub was in much better shape, and I spent hunreds of hours and probably $1k -$1.5k patching it.

I definitely can see your point. With my job I have lot of tools available to help me that most people dont. If had reliable drawings I could fab most of the parts if I had to. With a brake press, water jet, mills and lathe. Ill probably buy most of the panels mainly cause I like the channels in the floors and wheel wells.

My rust wasnt quite that bad, but I ended up replacing a good bit of metal. Once you tear it all down, it really isnt that much harder to do everything right. The rig comes apart pretty easy, so if you are headed that route, powder coat frame, redo wiring harness, rebuild driveline, etc. as it is easier to do do all that when it is apart.

Takes tons of pictures of everything from every angle, lots of zip lock baggies and sharpies! This forum will not leave you stranded. It woldn't be any fun, but you could do an entire restoration just using the search function! Post lots of pics. My build thread is in my signature, and I have several key go to threads saved if you need some toilet reading.

So some more rusty bolts broken and more parts scattered on the floor and the rest of the building. Took it for a little drive down the backroad. Question for all of you just how many keys are necessary? I know the ignition and the gas door key the 3 smaller ones make me wonder. How about this rear mat is it worth cleaning up the bottom side has rust stuck to it? Got the top off. Also got the bar out of the back. Any body else have to flip their windsheild down to get the top door hinge pins out? The rear heater looks like it should clean up. And no I did not cut the hoses that was one of the PO's. they did put plumb them back together tho.
upload_2018-8-25_8-43-13.png

upload_2018-8-25_8-45-31.png

upload_2018-8-25_8-52-24.png

upload_2018-8-25_8-52-55.png

Sky Blue, my favorite color! Could be a real beauty when she is done. Save everything, you never know. Nice find. More pics and under the hood too please

What I really like is that the PO decided fancy wheels were more important than fixing anything else!!! Gotta love PO’s! Hope you don’t have children in the garage, I guarantee you WILL be swearing at some time or other when you get to witness some PO “craft”. Ha ha. I sure know I did but no kids here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom