The Shawshank Hundy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First the introduction. My name is Mike Shaw. I live in So Cal and I have an incurable case of Cruiseritis. I just picked up a 2 owner 2000 with 215k for $7500. The rig was completely baselined before I bought it from a very good friend. I've recently built an 80 series for surf trips to Baja and light off roading. I started building and building until ended up with a supercharged rock crawler.:hillbilly: Now I want to build a 100 for my family camping trips and group Baja trips. I've laid out a rough outline as to what I want to do. :popcorn:

Phase 1. (armor)
1 Remove factory steps and replace with sliders.
2. Front bumper with winch and driving lights.
3. Rear bumper with tire carrier.
4. Remove factory roof rack and replace with a Baja Rack or something of the sort with flood lights.

Phase 2 (lift and tires)
My plan for phase 2 has everything to do with phase 1. I want to get a solid idea as to how much weight I'll be carrying before I lift the vehicle. I'm going to stay around 2-3 inches of lift but want to do it less traditionally ie. torsion bar and UCA replacement.
Currently there are some 16" chrome stock wheels on the rig - these have got to go. I've read there are some choices out there (16"-18") that look good, I'm just searching for the right ones.
I have (5) 315/75/16 Toyo MT's in the garage waiting to be mounted - but I'm leaning towards tall and skinny for better road manners - this is still up in the air.

Phase 3 (accessories)
There are a few things that are on my 80 that I can't live without. Some can be transferred from one rig to the other, some can't.
1. I need a head unit that will play Pandora.
2. GPS - I have an iPad so I'll be using the RAM mount system that another member just posted about as well as the software discussed in said thread.
3. Dual Battery
4. LED the interior
5. Scangauge II
6. Move and modify my drawer system that's in the 80 to fit the 100.
7. 63 qt fridge.
8. CB
9. whatever I deem necessary.

Phase 4
waaaaay down the road - diesel swap.

So there it is. I'm excited to get this build going - unfortunately I don't have the funds saved like I did for the 80, so this build will go exponentially slower. Overall - I'm looking for a very unique rig that I keep in the family forever!:cheers:
photo(36).jpg
photo(35).jpg

Welcome Mike! Love your 80; it truly dwarfs the 100 in stock form! Staying tuned to see what you do to your 100!

I have done several of the mods you are looking to do and will be moving to La Jolla in a couple weeks. Let me know if you ever want to check anything out in person. Just spent a week at The Wall in December and it was perfect for what you are planning!
ForumRunner_20110511_155243.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, Mike! For tall and skinny, I'm liking my 285/75R18's which would be like 35x11.25R18. Fits well on the stock 8" wide wheels too. However, I doubt they would be easy to find down in Baja.

Currently there are some 16" chrome stock wheels on the rig - these have got to go. I've read there are some choices out there (16"-18") that look good, I'm just searching for the right ones.
:cheers:

1st Dibbs on those ****ty rims you want to unload!:clap:

Thanks for the warm welcome.:beer:

Mx - Sweet rig. I've never been to the Wall. We should meet up, I'd like to check your rig out and surf Windansea after.:D

Hoser - I haven't done the re"search" yet - will a 255/85/16 fill the wheel well on a lifted truck?

jgray and OregonLC - Thanks fellas - now I just need to make some dough to do it all.

Wngrog - I really dig both of your LCs. I agree with you - they both have their place. You and I are some of the few that went the 345 16s and not 37x17 direction on the 80. Thanks for the welcome.

this is going to be fun, more so for you. But for us to watch. Your 80 has made me think twice about the 100. I would model a 80 after yours any day.

Enjoy and I will be watching this thread.

Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing this change!

Hoser - I haven't done the re"search" yet - will a 255/85/16 fill the wheel well on a lifted truck?
There are several on here that run that size and I think it is a good choice, especially if you don't plan to regear. Whether it visually fills the wheel wells probably depends on the amount of lift and personal taste. Running 1" wheel spacers would fill the void.

A clean Canvas to work with...

What a crazy few days it's been. I have 3 projects going right now and have found that to be my threshold. One more and this is no longer a "hobby".:hillbilly:

This weekend I started stripping the 100 of things I don't want or plan to replace. First were the running boards - things were going smooth until I got to the bolt behind the AC lines, it just so happened to be the last bolt. Prior to this I hadn't done any research as this seemed pretty straight forward. After a few bloody knuckles and some AZ desert dirt in my eyes (its where the trucks from) I grabbed a light to see what I could remove, AHA! I removed the shield and finally got that bolt out. I learned a lesson here... if I would have done a simple search before going out to the garage I would have known about that pesky little bolt and how to get at it. I would have saved 30 minutes of my life and a few dirty looks from my neighbors wondering what I was cursing at.
Second I removed the roof rack. Like I said previously, I learned a lesson and did my search before going out to the garage (https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/54473-factory-roof-rack-removal.html). The roof rack removal was a piece of cake - better than a :banana:. I probably would have broken the corner caps if I hadn't seen the drawing Hoser posted, Thanks Hoser. Also I sourced the caps or mouldings that fill the gaps left from the absent roof rack from the same thread. I went to my local ACE hardware store and found some rubber washers and bolts to fill the holes in the roof left from the old torque bolts.

The Hundy looks even smaller with no running boards and roof rack next to the 80. That will all change in due time :hillbilly:!
004.jpg
006.jpg
010.jpg

Nice!

Nice!

First the introduction. My name is Mike Shaw. I live in So Cal and I have an incurable case of Cruiseritis. I just picked up a 2 owner 2000 with 215k for $7500. The rig was completely baselined before I bought it from a very good friend. I've recently built an 80 series for surf trips to Baja and light off roading. I started building and building until ended up with a supercharged rock crawler.:hillbilly: Now I want to build a 100 for my family camping trips and group Baja trips. I've laid out a rough outline as to what I want to do. :popcorn:

Phase 1. (armor)
1 Remove factory steps and replace with sliders.
2. Front bumper with winch and driving lights.
3. Rear bumper with tire carrier.
4. Remove factory roof rack and replace with a Baja Rack or something of the sort with flood lights.

Phase 2 (lift and tires)
My plan for phase 2 has everything to do with phase 1. I want to get a solid idea as to how much weight I'll be carrying before I lift the vehicle. I'm going to stay around 2-3 inches of lift but want to do it less traditionally ie. torsion bar and UCA replacement.
I have (5) 315/75/16 Toyo MT's in the garage waiting to be mounted - but I'm leaning towards tall and skinny for better road manners - this is still up in the air.

Phase 3 (accessories)
There are a few things that are on my 80 that I can't live without. Some can be transferred from one rig to the other, some can't.
1. I need a head unit that will play Pandora.
2. GPS - I have an iPad so I'll be using the RAM mount system that another member just posted about as well as the software discussed in said thread.
3. Dual Battery
4. LED the interior
5. Scangauge II
6. Move and modify my drawer system that's in the 80 to fit the 100.
7. 63 qt fridge.
8. CB
9. whatever I deem necessary.

Phase 4
waaaaay down the road - diesel swap.

So there it is. I'm excited to get this build going - unfortunately I don't have the funds saved like I did for the 80, so this build will go exponentially slower. Overall - I'm looking for a very unique rig that I keep in the family forever!:cheers:

Wow what a turn of events...

I'm going to have to start over. I just sold this to a friend who was ok with me making a quick buck. I'm having some serious sellers remorse as I write this...:crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom