The search is on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
After a few years of dreaming and casual looking, the search is officially on for an FJ40. I say officially because now I have my financial advisor's (read: wife's) permission to buy a trail rig.

I want to do this right the first time through. The problem is that I am by no means a gear head, so I'll have to have most of the big work done by a shop. I'm looking to buy a nearly stock rig and build it up over the winter. My plans, in order, are:
- SOA - turned knuckles, hy steer
- 35-38 swampers
- gears
- power steering
- full roll cage
- front and rear lockers (probably detriots)
- split cases
- disk brakes
- rhino lined interior

Anyone see any problem with this? Suggestions from people who have been there are welcomed.

I'm looking for something near stock (mild lift and 33s are ok) with a stock drivetrain (rear locker is ok). Body condition is not a huge issue as long as it's safe and doesn't leak water. A solid frame is a must. I'm very cautious about buying a SOAed rig as I've seen waaaay to many home brewed hack jobs. I'm hoping to find a rig for $5000 or less, then see how much of the mod list $10k will cover.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a 40 on 33's. Why build it up right away? Take your time and change your plan after you take it on the trail a few times. I built my 80 way too fast and regret a bunch of decisions I made on it.

I have a 40 with a 4 inch lift and 33's. and a rear locker. I could put bigger 35's on if I wanted. It does awesome on the trail. Unless you plan on doing serious rock climbing, you don't need an SOA. Try a lift first befor you plow tons of money into it. One think to consider is that a 4 inch lift vn go in the garage easily. Everyone I know who has an SOA has to air down before bringing it in.

I would rethink the body comment. A repairable body and strong engine is a must.

A good rig can be found for about $4k. Look at the 77 in the following link as an example:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=328&PN=1

A 4" lift (skyjacker or OME) with 33s or 35s might be an intermedate step. Once I have a truck in my driveway I'll start making frim decisions about that stuff. I know the kind of trails I want to run (I wheel an IFS 4runner now) and the last thing I want to do is buy a 4" lift and 33s just to find out it's not enough.

Like I said... I want to do it right the first time. Ideally I'd find a rig with a 4" lift and 33s or 35s on it already and I could wheel that until the SOA. But these rigs are usually a bit pricey.

Last edited:
I will have a set of 4 BF Goodrich T/A All Terrain 33x9.5 R15 LT tires with very good tread for sale. I am about to go back to smaller tires (30"s or 29's) to get closer to a stock size. I am in Philadelphia, PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom