The search is on: LHD 1HZ Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in a quest to find a LHD Troopy... 1990s vintage, 1HZ, legally importable...
Here are some pics of one and i was hoping for input/observations by those of you that know more about these that I do...

56328141477__90ADA676-A302-4B28-ACAC-26CF881CA690.jpeg
56328146555__8025B260-28E2-4098-A4F0-0508F596B2B1.jpeg
56328158509__C0479344-A977-4A6B-A590-613B22F17C47.jpeg
56328160127__35BC7EBA-366E-4CF5-BDAD-1306CA2344E3.jpeg
56328164169__DCD9B209-59C4-49FF-B035-D9F991B7345F.jpeg

Looks like this is/was a PZJ that has has a 1HZ swapped in. Asking about the swap... Should I be worried or is this a very straightforward swap?

Swaps are all about the installer.

I had been in communication with him but haven't heard for a long time. I have a friend in Europe who's doing a little research for me and the above truck is what he has found so far. I'm reaching back out to Joe is that would certainly be a simpler proposition.

The PZ to HZ would require either engine mounts, or transmission mounts to be fabricated. After that it is a pretty straight forward swap.
Are you sure? My engine mounts had the same PN as the 1HZ iirc.

I’m fairly certain the hz swap is almost plug and play barring specific stuff.

If I’m incorrect please tell me so I don’t eff myself later.

You should be aware that technically, you can't import a truck that doesn't have the original motor (or at least the original motor type). I'd have to look up chapter and verse, but US Customs says it's a no-no. I know of at least one Land Rover guy who had a nightmare with Customs over this.

I've sort of been looking for a 1HZ equipped Troopy, too. Just missed one a couple weeks ago--LHD, 1HZ, and factory lockers F+R. Still on the lookout (somewhat casually).

Sorry, just checked. It's not Customs that you'll need to deal with, it's the EPA (emphasis mine):

The Clean Air Act prohibits importation into the United States of any motor vehicle, motor vehicle engine, nonroad engine and equipment that does not conform to United States EPA emission standards and requirements. A vehicle is exempted if it has been 21 years or more since its original production year and it is in its original unmodified condition. Vehicles in any condition may be excluded if they were manufactured prior to the year in which EPA's regulations for the class of vehicle took effect. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems. Upon entry, the importer must file an EPA Form 3520-1with Customs and declare code "E" on the form.

I think that the engine mounts are the same, but the LH has a different location. (RH has 2 holes in it already). The real issue though is with the transmission. With the 1HZ the transmission sits further back than the 1PZ. So you either need to change the transmission location or both engine mounts.

@gilmorneau THANK YOU for this heads up... that sounds like it'll be a deal breaker... and that sucks as this was starting to look like a pretty good truck... You probably just saved me a ton of hurt.

No problem. You might have been able to get away with it (other guys probably have), but why risk it? There's other Troopies.

Not sure where you're looking, but in many parts of Europe, the 1PZ was 1990-1992, and the 1HZ was 1993-on (so exactly 25 years).

This information is absolutely correct. I have had a lot of experience with bringing Land Rovers in. Customs will stop the truck at the port if it has had an engine swap.
The actual way it works is they will look up the configuration of the vehicle and make sure it matches the VIN. Engine, trans, 4dr/2dr, soft top/hardtop and so on..... Any deviation from the configuration it left the factory from will result in it being stopped at the port. The only option really at that point is a lot of expensive lawyers while storage fees acrue or ship it back to it's port of departure. And, the lawyer route is probably not going to work out the way you want if the truck has actually been modified.

They however, do not care about paint color, interior upgrades ect. Mainly power train and body configuration.

If you are interested in the horror stories, check these out.

This was their biggest fiasco, it wrapped up a LOT of peoples trucks before it played out. FYI, there is a backstory about the seller of some of these trucks that's fairly shady. But, it gives you an idea of how bad it can get regardless. Also, a lesson not to deal with shady importers because of lust over a truck.

Homeland Security took my 110 - Defender Source

Customs Defender Crackdown - The Official Photos and Videos Thread - Defender Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom