The Right Stuff - Gasket Sealer Tips? I'm nervous 😂 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi, thanks for clicking on my thread again y'all. I truly appreciate the help I've received on this forum lately.

So I'm going to replace my side cover and oil pan gaskets. This time around, I will use The Right Stuff. I guess I'll apply it to both sides of each gasket. But now I'm very nervous to apply it and I'm having so many questions about the process.

What do I do about the bolt holes? How do I avoid them while still creating a solid bead around the whole gasket?

How much do I use, and how do I make sure that it doesn't squish out the sides of the gasket and into the oil pan when I torque the bolts down?

If any of you have sever used this stuff on gaskets, you would be a life saver to offer some advice or tips. Most tutorials online don't even include a cork gasket. They use this stuff between bare metal.

Thank you in advance folks!

The Right Stuff is mostly used by car manufacturers on areas that don't get a gasket. On a side cover, you would use it on one surface (the side cover), not both. Lay the bead on centered on the cleaned sealing surface. Do a circle around the bolt holes. Squish-out is less of a problem with The Right Stuff because it generally sticks really tight and the stuff that squeezes out will stay with the joint and not break off and clog anything. I have never used it on a side cover, so I can't say much about that. I use the thick gasket that comes in the kit and Gasgacinch (a type of contact cement) to hold the gasket in place on the side cover. I don't glue both sides because I might want to take the cover back off and use the same gasket.

The Right Stuff is mostly used by car manufacturers on areas that don't get a gasket. On a side cover, you would use it on one surface (the side cover), not both. Lay the bead on centered on the cleaned sealing surface. Do a circle around the bolt holes. Squish-out is less of a problem with The Right Stuff because it generally sticks really tight and the stuff that squeezes out will stay with the joint and not break off and clog anything. I have never used it on a side cover, so I can't say much about that. I use the thick gasket that comes in the kit and Gasgacinch (a type of contact cement) to hold the gasket in place on the side cover. I don't glue both sides because I might want to take the cover back off and use the same gasket.
Thanks for the info, but, if I only use it on one side, isn't it likely to still leak on the side without it?

The Right Stuff was designed to take the place of a gasket entirely. You use it on one side only (usually the cover plate of whatever you are trying to seal. Then get the cover on and sealed up within just a few minutes. If you use a gasket you COULD put it on both sides of the gasket, but that would seem a little overkill to me. If I used it with a gasket, I would only put it on the cover side to hold and seal the gasket to the cover. Covers tend to be more uneven, so the RTV or Right Stuff would get a better seal. Always remember to tap down sheet metal covers that have been tightened down on relatively thick gaskets in the past. There will be little dents where each bolt pulled the sheet metal down into the gasket. Just flip the cover over and use a small hammer to tap the dent out before mounting it.

Don't use The Right Stuff, use Toyota FIPG ("seal packing").

ADD 014.JPG

This stuff is fairly thick; spread it about as thin as you can with a finger, covering both sides of the gaskets. Torque to spec (not very much, 80-90 inch-pounds IIRC) and your side cover and oil pan will not leak.

Don't use The Right Stuff, use Toyota FIPG ("seal packing").

View attachment 2262473

This stuff is fairly thick; spread it about as thin as you can with a finger, covering both sides of the gaskets. Torque to spec (not very much, 80-90 inch-pounds IIRC) and your side cover and oil pan will not leak.
Good to know, thank you. I already did the side cover gasket with The Right Stuff but I still have my oil pan to do.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use The Right Stuff, other than the fact that FIPG works well?

I have used right stuff on my son’s 67 Mustang water pump. Smeared it on both sides of gasket to a thin film. Placed pump and finger tightened bolts. Let it sit for an hour. Then tightened to spec. Sets in 90 minutes as I recall. Worked very well. On Toyota I use FIPG.

I have used right stuff on my son’s 67 Mustang water pump. Smeared it on both sides of gasket to a thin film. Placed pump and finger tightened bolts. Let it sit for an hour. Then tightened to spec. Sets in 90 minutes as I recall. Worked very well. On Toyota I use FIPG.
Huh. I tightened mine almost immediately. I thought it set instantly. Did I make a mistake? (I'm sure it'll be fine but I'd like to do it correctly next time)

You should be fine

Pretty sure the instructions included with The Right Stuff say to apply it, then install Immediately, you don't have to wait for it to dry before using the engine.

Pretty sure the instructions included with The Right Stuff say to apply it, then install Immediately, you don't have to wait for it to dry before using the engine.

not on what I used. Says to wait.

Good to know, thank you. I already did the side cover gasket with The Right Stuff but I still have my oil pan to do.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use The Right Stuff, other than the fact that FIPG works well?

I have nothing specific against it. The Toyota FIPG is just a quality (but expensive) proven product that works so well, I am not tempted to try anything else.

Huh. I tightened mine almost immediately. I thought it set instantly. Did I make a mistake? (I'm sure it'll be fine but I'd like to do it correctly next time)
You'll be fine. It says you should assemble it within 5 minutes. Good for immediate use. See attached Data Sheet.

Attachments

• TheRightStuff.25229.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 128
don't use too much ! Just a thin film.

Hi, thanks for clicking on my thread again y'all. I truly appreciate the help I've received on this forum lately.

So I'm going to replace my side cover and oil pan gaskets. This time around, I will use The Right Stuff. I guess I'll apply it to both sides of each gasket. But now I'm very nervous to apply it and I'm having so many questions about the process.

What do I do about the bolt holes? How do I avoid them while still creating a solid bead around the whole gasket?

How much do I use, and how do I make sure that it doesn't squish out the sides of the gasket and into the oil pan when I torque the bolts down?

If any of you have sever used this stuff on gaskets, you would be a life saver to offer some advice or tips. Most tutorials online don't even include a cork gasket. They use this stuff between bare metal.

Thank you in advance folks!
You do not need a gasket with the right stuff .The Right stuff is the gasket .You can do oil pans, transpans,valve covers. It is high heat and oil resistent . I started using it in the early 90s.I was amazed the first few times i ever used it. It used to be $5 dollars a can. I use the tubes. The can usually screws up and i lose too much in the can.

The Right stuff replaces the gasket.No gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom