The reality of the Landcruiser Head Gasket Issue (3 Viewers)

Did your Head Gasket fail.

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have seen them with 100k and 480k on OG head gasket.

Do it when it fails or as PM if you love your Cruiser. Use ARP head studs and OEM MLS head gasket. Check top of block for true and within spec, it is ok to mill heads and blocks even if Toyota says nope, they want your $$$$. Buy a new short block and new head while you can if you got the $$$$, I did and I love it! 🥰🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

We usually go deeper and do a full rebuild. The 1fzfe was designed for three rebuilds, #1 is hone and fresh rings, #2 is .05 over and #3 is .10. How many of you on the forum are at 250k with out a bottom end rebuild? HG goes every 250k or do it at that interval (valve steam seals toast by then) and we all got million mile engines, parts pending of course. Do it at a less mileage or interval and we got 500-750k engines. Pretty damn good if you ask me! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes it is a lot of cash at $20-40k for the full works on a 1fzfe rebuild but 250k miles per that expense or 20yrs. Seems reasonable to me. Or limp it along forever but I sure do enjoy the new 1fzfe myself, takes ya back to the 1990’s! The real smart die hard Cruiser heads have all the parts on the shelf in the garage for those three rebuilds because Toyota isn’t going to be selling .10 parts in 50yrs! 😂😉🤙

Cheers

No problem at 200k. This is the second 80 I’ve had the the HG replaced as PM. Neither needed it. Surprisingly little carbon build up. Cylinder walls perfectly fine

8DB3126D-B5EB-4B99-9F77-6DD45C1E4860.png

Original owner of my first 80 series, a 1997. Went 287k with no HG issues, then the poor truck got killed by a 30 something gal, driving 60mph, running a very red stop light…….

My current 80 series is also a 1997, she has 312k, and I recently noticed a sweet smelling exhaust on startup. Scoped (used a Klein Tools boroscope) the cylinders and #6 was unfortunately clean (aluminum color) on the piston top, with a faint tinge of coolant color in the recesses. The other piston tops were nice and black.

Borrowed a radiator gas check tool (from O’Riley auto parts) and the blue fluid turned yellow, cinching that I do indeed have a tiny HG leak, specifically cylinder #6 to the nearby coolant passage. No coolant in the oil.

I’m feeling pretty good to get 312k, lots of hot, throttle wide open, mountainous driving the last 40k or so. Head studs creep over time, and that allows head passageway leakage. It’s just a matter of when, not if.

Original owner of my first 80 series, a 1997. Went 287k with no HG issues, then the poor truck got killed by a 30 something gal, driving 60mph, running a very red stop light…….

My current 80 series is also a 1997, she has 312k, and I recently noticed a sweet smelling exhaust on startup. Scoped (used a Klein Tools boroscope) the cylinders and #6 was unfortunately clean (aluminum color) on the piston top, with a faint tinge of coolant color in the recesses. The other piston tops were nice and black.

Borrowed a radiator gas check tool (from O’Riley auto parts) and the blue fluid turned yellow, cinching that I do indeed have a tiny HG leak, specifically cylinder #6 to the nearby coolant passage. No coolant in the oil.

I’m feeling pretty good to get 312k, lots of hot, throttle wide open, mountainous driving the last 40k or so. Head studs creep over time, and that allows head passageway leakage. It’s just a matter of when, not if.
312k in miles equates to around 480km for us in Aus & that is exactly when my HG went & No6 cyl to boot - Im the original owner as well

I knew it would go one day but it still was disappointing when it did. I redone it myself at home and has been fine since (5 years now) & going strong

Nothing lasts forever but I could not ever see myself changing my 80 as I have too many great memories with it , especially when the kids were young going bush and them getting all muddy & dirty and then falling asleep in the back on the way home.

Officially over 362,000 on the original HG. This doesn't count the switch from 275/70R16 to 255/85R16 tires...

LX-450 187K original HG......soooooo far....;)
aaaaand it’s blown at 238k miles

I’m glad this is over, every trip I went on i was wondering if this would be the time..lol..but mine went slow with some gurgling in coolant reservoir and rough start ups..

aaaasnd it’s blown at 238k miles

I’m glad this is over, every trip I went on i was wondering if this would be the time..lol..but mine went slow with some gurgling in coolant reservoir and rough start ups..
whew?

aaaaand it’s blown at 238k miles

The data around the failure rate will never be good enough to answer the question of if and when it should be replaced. The combination of unknown variables (like maintenance, driving conditions, etc.) combined with anecdotal input makes it impossible to predict. Best I can think is to preemptively replace it if a failure would leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere . If you never leave Mayberry then that affords a little more flexibility. Either way plan ahead and budget for it.

The data around the failure rate will never be good enough to answer the question of if and when it should be replaced. The combination of unknown variables (like maintenance, driving conditions, etc.) combined with anecdotal input makes it impossible to predict. Best I can think is to preemptively replace it if a failure would leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere . If you never leave Mayberry then that affords a little more flexibility. Either way plan ahead and budget for it.
Yuppers, I was starting to plan for it , looking where to take it but it got me first..lol..I moved to slow

Use ARP head studs and OEM MLS head gasket...

ARP studs, a good gasket, and EGR delete and I bet nobody has a headgasket problem again...
Why switch to studs? What's the advantage there, on this engine? Someone mentioned stud creep; is that a thing? Can you get the head off in the vehicle when using studs? And do you prefer 1FZ or Supra or Opel studs? Inquiring minds want to know. @SNLC

Last edited:
Why switch to studs? What's the advantage there, on this engine? Someone mentioned stud creep; is that a thing? Can you get the head off in the vehicle when using studs? And do you prefer 1FZ or Supra or Opel studs? Inquiring minds want to know. @SNLC
Maybe cost?
I went OEM, not cheap even from Megazip. Never occurred to me to consider ease of install/removal; but, good point.
My engine was out so that wasn't a concern.
Assuming proper torque process is adhered to, the gasket itself shouldn't care stud vs bolt.

Maybe cost?
I went OEM, not cheap even from Megazip. Never occurred to me to consider ease of install/removal; but, good point.
My engine was out so that wasn't a concern.
Assuming proper torque process is adhered to, the gasket itself shouldn't care stud vs bolt.
Not cost. The studs have a significantly higher clamping load.

So you use a higher torque spec for the studs than stock bolts?

The head must be set on top of the block prior to stud installation. It’s no big deal. I used the 1fz stud kit and it has worked just fine with satisfactory thread engagement in the block. In my opinion, studs are simpler to torque down properly without making mistakes. Because the OEM washers are more robust and fit their recess perfectly, I reused them instead of the ARP washers.

Last edited:
Around 320k now and original HG. Did leak down and compression last year and all looked good. I dont pull or drive very long or live in extreme temps.

@baldilocks said:The head must be set on top of the block prior to stud installation. It’s no big deal. I used the 1fz stud kit and it has worked just fine with satisfactory thread engagement in the block. In my opinion, studs are simpler to torque down properly without making mistakes. Because the OEM washers are more robust and fit their recess perfectly, I reused them instead of the ARP washers.

I say:

Sooo…if removing the head in-place, can you pull the studs first without any more hassle than pulling head bolts?

@baldilocks said:The head must be set on top of the block prior to stud installation. It’s no big deal. I used the 1fz stud kit and it has worked just fine with satisfactory thread engagement in the block. In my opinion, studs are simpler to torque down properly without making mistakes. Because the OEM washers are more robust and fit their recess perfectly, I reused them instead of the ARP washers.

I say:

Sooo…if removing the head in-place, can you pull the studs first without any more hassle than pulling head bolts?
Yes. Theoretically studs should go through a second torquing process after the initial heat cycle, hence torque to yield bolts from the factory. I didn’t do a second torque sequence. I know of only one Mud member who has gone to the trouble of removing the cams to do a second torque on head studs and I’ve never read about a HG failure presumably due to not torquing studs a second time.

Well, if the studs don't thread out by finger you may have to double-nut them, which is a slight hassle. Ideally they just spin out.

Well, if the studs don't thread out by finger you may have to double-nut them, which is a slight hassle. Ideally they just spin out.
IIRC, my studs had a hex wrench facility in the one end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom