the Puma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I paid ~$199 for mine over two years ago. I have a Puma 30G upright at home that has been going strong for 10 years. I'm sold on the brand.

Yes, that's the one. But since you're 24V, don't you need two 12V? :)

Well that would kick butt... but I have a dedicated 12V battery on it's own charge circuit tucked in my storage unit. Easy peasy to hook up a Puma.
I thought it looked big and heavy till I compared it to the CO2 bottle I never got around to installing before Moab. It looks downright petite in comparison :D

I love mine but dont believe the R.L.A. of 30A claim(FWIW it does start at 30A with no load). I have tested the load amps and it runs 45A-50A depending on your battery voltage. Size your wire accordingly.

I've used 10 gauge landscape wire :hillbilly:, but it's outside of the truck and not permanently wired. That wire gets nice and warm during an air-up session...
Instructions say to use 8 gauge, 6 gauge would probably be better.

I've used 10 gauge landscape wire :hillbilly:, but it's outside of the truck and not permanently wired. That wire gets nice and warm during an air-up session...
Instructions say to use 8 gauge, 6 gauge would probably be better.

A maximum distance of 10 feet will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less with a #6 Copper conductor delivering 45.0 amps on a 13.5 volt system(engine running).

No #6 landscaping wire available that Im aware of:hillbilly:

Last edited:
Mine has been working on the 10G x 10' wire (~3yrs), but likely not at full potential performance. If upgrading the wire, how does the numbers on 8G x 20' look or better off just to go with 6G?

Mine has been working on the 10G x 10' wire (~3yrs), but likely not at full potential performance. If upgrading the wire, how does the numbers on 8G x 20' look or better off just to go with 6G?

8 gauge at 20' ~1.3v loss on 13.5. It will work just like the 10 gauge has worked But to optimize performance 6 gauge would be a better choice.

FWIR voltage would drop slightly below 12v with 10 gauge @15' with the engine running.

Thanks for the tips - I'm jumping. Should only need a few feet of wire if I mount it in my storage drawers.

A couple people on the mud board have taken these apart to mount the tank separately from the main unit, the idea being to have more mounting options. Has anyone locally done this? I would like to see the set up.

Cook,
Are the earplugs because of the kids or the noise of those big meats on the freeway? Either way would probably be better if the sterio worked eh?

A couple of my observations on them:

First; they are very portable, IMHO this is a good thing. My early plan was to divorce the tank and integrate it into the rig. There have been a couple of times where rigs have broken and I couldn't drive to them, so having the ability it carry the air supply is a plus.

Second; cooling, heat is the #1 enemy of compressors, affecting both performance and life, so take this into account when mounting. I would never mount any compressor under the hood. It's not uncommon to see 150F+ underhood temps when wheeling, so when started the compressor is already at the upper end of it's operating temp range.

They can be mounted in a confined space, but will need additional fan driven airflow. Pancake fans (like used in PC's) are 12V and work well, make sure you have plenty of relatively cool airflow over the unit when running.

why is this posted on the CSC fourm? isn't this auction out of state?

Cook,
Are the earplugs because of the kids or the noise of those big meats on the freeway? Either way would probably be better if the sterio worked eh?

Ear plugs are for the $%&^%(&^$%^* rack!:bang::mad:

why is this posted on the CSC fourm?

'cause bj70 wheeled with the CSC group and wants to talk to people who have the Puma :doh:

Because I found out about the Puma from the CS guys. I'm in Canada but am having it shipped to WA where I can go pick it up.

Just curious though, why would it matter if it was out of state?

This is a continuation of a trail discussion. The participants on that run were CSC and CC members, so posted here to get the attention of those who were involved.

We ain't got no sense. We don't need no sense! I don't have to show you any stinkin' sense!":flipoff2:x21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom