The pinion flange puzzle! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

I have found two double cardon jointed drive shafts. Luckily, my rear pinion flange is a universal flange, and I can fit on shaft on.

However the front has the stock pinion flange (77 fj40). I measured center-center the holes on my other drive shaft. It is 60mmx60mm square. :):).

I did not measure the pinion flange on the front diff, but I am guessing it to be about 70mmx70mm based on the fit.

What to do, and how to do it?

THANK YOU

ragman

the double cardan end goes on the t-case not the pinion so you could use the slip yoke from your old shaft.What are the double cardans from ? minitruck or 60 series?

My current rear driveshaft uses a minitruck-CV at the t-case end, a stock minitruck tube/spline, and uses the FJ40 slip/u-joint/flange at the pinion end.

The splines are identical between the mini and FJ40....if they fit well, clean 'em up, and mix/match.

CV at the t-case, slip at the pinion.

(if the mini CV fits, I'll wager you have 4-speed flanges installed, which are NOT square pattern....)

That would be great Pablo, I have some similar questions regarding a FJ60 CV shaft on my 40...

I could do as suggested, change the slip yolks. However......

The slip yolks on the minitruck shafts are longer. I need extra length for my front end.

I do get Toyota Trails. My first issue was december 2003.

I guess I could try to just use the slip yolk and see what happens. It's just that there is more travel on the ministruck ones.

Ragman

you can get a round flange for your pumkin and redrill the mini pattern onto it .just a suggestion.

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters has a variety of flanges you can use to make this happen. (and he is super cool) I recomend giving him a call...
Untitled-1.jpg

PabloCruise said:
The image I attached isn't the clearest - if someone wants to host it and link from there I can send you a high res version...

Plese send it :D
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

I will make a tech page on my site with all the info available :D

Dallas, I have several pinion flanges. If you figure out which one you need let me know and I'll see if I have it. I saved the above diagram so we can use that as a point of reference. Personally, I'd go with the round one and drill it if necessary. BTW, mine are all 10 spline.
GL, Bud,

Ed

Thanks Degnol. You are super kind. Before you updated, I gave Kurt a call.

The way to go is a round 10 spline like you mentioned.

Kurt has round 10 spline, new for 33 bucks. The seal for a few bucks more.

Can't go wrong there.

Kurt is the king - thanks man.

Search string : Spring over axle pinion flange , mini truck flange, flange adapter, 10 spline flange, long travel flange, mini truck driveshaft

Last edited:
BTW Dallas i think you are going to need to have Longer Splined Shaft in the front.. At the same time, Since you didint do the SR, you may be fine.. either way Get the sucker done so we can go to Chinamans!!

cruiseroutfit said:
Plese send it :D
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

I will make a tech page on my site with all the info available :D

Kurt, I will send it when I get back to that computer.

Dallas, for your search string: coarse spline, fine spline, pinion, companion flange

PabloCruise said:
Email sent w/ pic attached!

Got it! :D

I should have a tech page up soon on my site :D

On the tech site :D
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_flange.html

BUT!!! I don't think the pattern listed for the 8/1989 pattern is right?

I think it should be 11mm bolt with a 66mm x 66mm pattern (27 spline)... Anyone?

What about 80's, all the same pattern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom