The perfect Pan-American Expedition Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would a 80 with big roof-rack and a camper-trailer be way to small? And why bring big smelly dogs? (and their food) For sequrity?
I dont get it.. if I was a pirate/robber or heavily armed militant hi-jacker do you really think i would be afraid of two very stupid dogs? no.... they would just be an exuse for me to whip out my ak47 and start killing things..a provocation not a defence.

When I read the original post and saw this ,I knew it was a half baked idea from the start:rolleyes:

"We need ample space for 3-4 people, film equipment, expedition gear, bikes, batteries, and 2 irish wolfhounds. As many of you know, the roads through South America will require rugged 4x4 capabilities. In addition, with the threat of armed radicals, theives, and corrupt policia, the vehicle needs to be armored.

When I read the original post and saw this ,I knew it was a half baked idea from the start:rolleyes:

Of course, those are always the best kind!

The only thing between me and these guys is the amount of people and size of animals... :hillbilly:

Oh, and awesomeness of vehicle, but I'll leave that alone...

This just looks fun!

HD-2963-39.jpg

Of course, those are always the best kind!

The only thing between me and these guys is the amount of people and size of animals... :hillbilly:

Oh, and awesomeness of vehicle, but I'll leave that alone...

I was having visions of an armoured car sinking in the swamps of the Darien Gap.

Ok the morphed 80...interesting but it somehow weirds me out/

As to the OP, whatever happened with these guys, anybody... or maybe they are just lurking here in the shadows...:eek:

As funny as parts of this thread are when I have mentioned that the school bus, however modified, was the collective choice for a crew configuration like this all of the expats who live and work with me think we are geniuses for suggesting it. I was just driving through town in a flooded area. There were several traffic blocking obstacles either accidents blocking passage or two foot of standing water. I followed two school buses, recycled from school districts in Virginia and Washington state, up and over a 6 inch high median strip three times to manuver around these obstacles and finally through the water without missing a beat.

I was having visions of an armoured car sinking in the swamps of the Darien Gap.

My vision had less sinking and more hanging out with awesome rebels wearing berrets and smoking cubans :cool:

As funny as parts of this thread are when I have mentioned that the school bus, however modified, was the collective choice for a crew configuration like this all of the expats who live and work with me think we are geniuses for suggesting it. I was just driving through town in a flooded area. There were several traffic blocking obstacles either accidents blocking passage or two foot of standing water. I followed two school buses, recycled from school districts in Virginia and Washington state, up and over a 6 inch high median strip three times to manuver around these obstacles and finally through the water without missing a beat.

It is genius. Thanks partly to this thread, I'm now really into school buses, and am totally going to buy one or two when I get back to North America.

Holy crap,
Is that school bus sprung over?:eek: I though that I saw some unstoppable fast movers around here but nothing with a lift like that.

I just saw my dream bus again last weekend near Creel, Chihuahua, Mx. On a downhill I couldn't keep the tail of the thing, so besides being cool, they haul ass on the right hands.

100_2951.jpg

that bus looks burly. betcha it is "interesting" to ride in it on a curvy road, that's a pretty tall center of a lot of gravity*

(*ok, the gravity is the same, the bus is more massive, but I like the way it wrote out)

For our route down south, however, we'll be traveling along the western side through chile and tierra del fuego where it is my understanding the winds will be so powerful, it could blow a bus over. Which vehicles would prevail through these conditions?

Holy crap he's right! It is freakin windy! I'm about 500kms from Ushuaia at time of posting and I swear my 60 almost got blown over today on a straight stretch! 3b brave as it is has trouble fighting the winds and sometimes even can't get above 3rd on a straight or 4th DOWNHILL into these insane oncoming winds!

However the shape of the 60 does seem superior to landy's or perhaps even 80's to the side winds. It's kind of rounded. Boy am I glad now that I don't have some kind of large camper top (like the OP probably went with)... I would think that would fare much worse than a heavy bus. Also glad I don't have massive lifted suspension! Only wish is that I had all my front end worked over to be a little tighter... it's not bad but I still fight the wind side to side a lot more than newer SUVs.

Holy crap he's right! It is freakin windy! I'm about 500kms from Ushuaia at time of posting and I swear my 60 almost got blown over today on a straight stretch! 3b brave as it is has trouble fighting the winds and sometimes even can't get above 3rd on a straight or 4th DOWNHILL into these insane oncoming winds!

However the shape of the 60 does seem superior to landy's or perhaps even 80's to the side winds. It's kind of rounded. Boy am I glad now that I don't have some kind of large camper top (like the OP probably went with)... I would think that would fare much worse than a heavy bus. Also glad I don't have massive lifted suspension! Only wish is that I had all my front end worked over to be a little tighter... it's not bad but I still fight the wind side to side a lot more than newer SUVs.

the wind NEVER stops blowing. one reason i slept in my truck for 2 weeks instead of in my tent. it's awful.

Yeah, we're really glad we're set up to sleep in our truck normally... we just have a tent for hiking, emergencies, and "guests". I'm also really glad we don't have any kind of canvas or fiberglass pop-top setup that we have to put up before sleeping... I'd be paranoid all night that it was going to blow off!

is it really worse than the isthmus of Tehuantepec?
seriously-- that area, for me, defines "really awfully windy".

for sure, if Ushuia and the area has that much air moving around, that's a pretty important factor to consider and would rule out a schoolbus (for me).

We drove Tehuantepec four times, each time there were at least two 18wheelers that looked like a giant had carelessly tossed them to the side of the road.

is it really worse than the isthmus of Tehuantepec?
seriously-- that area, for me, defines "really awfully windy".

We drove Tehuantepec four times, each time there were at least two 18wheelers that looked like a giant had carelessly tossed them to the side of the road.

Tehuantepec is windy but I've never seen 18 wheelers off the road yet! Mexico is building a large wind generating farm there.

if Ushuia and the area has that much air moving around, that's a pretty important factor to consider and would rule out a schoolbus (for me).

Maybe, but for me it first rules out a pickup with a camper back, a high roof van, or any sort of pop-top that would require me to find sheltered camping lest it get blown off in the night. I would think a school bus with several hundred litres of fuel and water, plus batteries stored in the bottom would have a low enough centre of gravity as to be in less danger than other vehicles.

This is one area for me to for once not feel jealous of all those smug people with their awesome pop-top setups, comfortable in my 60 all night even as the winds rock our heavy suspension back and forth, or rain comes in sideways...

Buy a 80

I have read this entire post and I have got the very strong feeling that going with an 80 is a good idea. Why would go for a new Tacoma. I have found whenever I get new vehicle there always seems to be a problem with it pretty soon after purchase. Always little but needs to fixed. The 80 seems to cover all your needs.

Will last forever
Old enough and will blend in
Can find parts
Can register in USA (You know you will fall in love with this vehicle and want it back home)
Can buy and prep the vehicle in the States.

To everyone who posted so much great information. A dictionary wouldn't hold all the knowledge you guys have.

Holy crap,
Is that school bus sprung over?:eek: I though that I saw some unstoppable fast movers around here but nothing with a lift like that.

That things looks plain scary. Who cares about the high COG, the lift blocks on the front axle are what scare me.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom