The Perfect Land Cruiser: The FJ Company's Reimagined And Modernized Take of A Classic SUV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

modernization is more like using the running gear and all electronics of a 70 series... i like this pakistani's take on modern 40 series:
prado dash 2.jpg
prado dash 3.jpg
prado dash 5.jpg
prado dash bj.jpg

Shouldn't this be in the classified, or chat section? I didn't watch the whole thing, but It seems to be a 50 minute commercial.

I watched the entire video and I think what they’re doing is pretty cool like others have said. It is nice to see what is possible and while some or most wouldn’t drop the cash needed to buy one, what they are doing has brought a few products to market that I have seen in the forum. I don’t expect some of that would be available without builders like this.

Honestly I am jealous, if I had the funds that I expect most of the buyers of their vehicles had, I would buy one. I would need it to tow behind my Earth Roamer.

Last edited:
I've seen this 83 FJ45 that was built by them, it is an amazing work of art. That being said, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one.
20210830_102833.jpg

The modern suspension alone, awesome! The bodies of these look really top-notch. I see all of this 5-lug-nut-equipment?

I'd order a FJ43 frame/body with a fabricated, corrugated-top sides that hold regular ambulance door hinge configuration at back, and spare tire goes behind driver.

In all fairness, I'd happily let our friends from the video, or this thread, to take my ride for a spin. Just to see if impressions of the original, and kinda worn-out (cylinders had most of original hone-cross-hatch-pattern, original bore-diameter, and the seat vinyl was basically un-torn upon acquisition) version of the Land Cruiser holds up.

I think most on Ih8mud find is more than half the pleasure is to restore and drive an original classic Toyota .

I know that is my feeling. Even if I had $250,000 to drop on what is basically re-bodied , a replica, I would rather have my original.

All of the drivetrain is modern, and he says in the video usually 90% of the body is reproduction.

Last edited:
If I ever had the coin to drop on something like this (which will never happen) I would have Jonathan Ward build one to my liking.

FJ company makes really pretty rich people cars, but 90% of the fun of owning a land cruiser, or any classic car in general is working on it and working problems. You get to pay them absurd sums of money to do all of the fun parts if you buy one of those.

For 200K you could have like 10 built land cruisers lol. You could have one thats lowered with a single turbo JZ motor for city driving, one set up for camping with a LS, and one for collecting with a stock drivetrain

A quarter million dollars for a Colombian frankencruiser? What a bad investment, No thanks. Foolish rich people junk, I bet they depreciate 80% when delivered.

The statement where the builder states everything is new so nothing will go wrong really bothers me. The more electronic gizmos you add just increases the likelihood something will fail. I had a new Tacoma with several electronic issues once, the advice Toyota gave me was keep bringing it back and we'll eventually fix everything..... so much for new.

Last edited:
At a certain point, labor is worth more than material.

I'm sticking with kind words because... they could expand their current offerings. They mentioned that they do restorations, just not as many 'original' drivetrains. Why criticize what is happening in a world totally opposite of me?

Could I buy a dipped J40 chassis and title? How about a new cab for my existing equipment? I'd love to learn more about their upholstery process.

I'll assume that their crew of talented craftsmen and visionaries are reading this thread.

I think of profits, black dog and icon doing this stuff their prices are right on point. but as the host said if you have a quarter million good luck building any of those in that quality let alone the 16 months to build one

At a certain point, labor is worth more than material.

I'm sticking with kind words because... they could expand their current offerings. They mentioned that they do restorations, just not as many 'original' drivetrains. Why criticize what is happening in a world totally opposite of me?

Could I buy a dipped J40 chassis and title? How about a new cab for my existing equipment? I'd love to learn more about their upholstery process.

I'll assume that their crew of talented craftsmen and visionaries are reading this thread.
My counterpoint is the good times you have wrenching on your truck, the knowledge and skills gained, the research you do for cool projects and mods, and the friends you make along the way are more valuable than a polished turnkey car. For 200K you could have a Mclaren

Last edited:
It is more than just holding coils on the _J40 (FJ70?) axle. It keeps acceleration and braking from affecting the vehicles stability, requiring the driver's response thru the steering wheel. I have six leaves up front, probably because there is a price for a squishier set of leafs. However, up front, the FJC has control arms that effectively deal with all that. The FJC's front independent set-up performs these really cool camber moves as the suspension flexes up and down, so the truck gets the advantage of placing stability on the inner and outer sidewalls, you can't do that on front beam axle. This is my understanding of the technology.

JBar.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom