The perfect 80 (for me) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys, I need opinions and something tells me this is the place to get them. Within the next twelve months, I want to put together a Cruiser to use for duck hunting:D, camping, and general screwing off. It won't be a daily driver, but it must be dependable. Here's what I know that I want: 1) 93-97 80 2) minimum 33" tires (probably narrow) 3) lockers (preferably factory) 4)snorkle kit. I'm basically looking for opinions on bumpers, gears, roof racks, lights, winch size, CB/GPS systems, lift required for skinny 35's? Everyone seems to go a pretty much standard route in these departments (ARB, Kaymar, etc.). There will be no rock crawling, but there is lots of water and mud, and a yearly trip to the Super Lift off road park in Hot Springs, Arkansas to play on the rocks would be nice. The catcher is, it must be fairly highway friendly. I haul three people and a dog to the duck woods towing an aluminum boat on a daily basis in season. I'm just basically trying to put this thing together in my head before I start, knowing full well that anything can happen once the purchase is made. Thanks in advance for your help. Now, duke it out.

Just get one...

There is not a whole lot of difference between the 93-97 Cruisers.

1. You have two available trannys depending on year. 93-94 got the A442F, and 95+ got the A343F.

2. 95+ trucks have airbags and a redesigned dash.

Those are the biggest differences. I am keeping my personal opinions about them to myself. Now go buy one... :G

Get on of those boat props for the receiver, big floatation tires and make sure it has a sunroof. That would make a great duck blind/boat.
kurt

D2:

Welcome! From your list, I hope that you are saving lots of $$$ :).

One question I have is how far is the drive to your hunting location? The reason I ask is that it sounds like this truck will really only be used for this purpose (vs any sort of daily driver). If that's the case, and the drive isn't too long, you may also want to consider a 60 wagon. First, cheaper initial investment, still a very capable off-roader (although no locks?) and I think the interior is actually bigger.

Although the 80's are still great :D

As far as mods go, just start looking at old posts here, on the 80s Cool list, etc. You are only limited by your budget and imagination.

I, unfortunately have limited after market stuff on mine at this point: Milford Cargo barrier (get one of these - it will save your life - dog and gear go behind this); custom 'city drawer' = cargo drawer on one side of truck with deck on top that covers wheel well. Dog cage sits on top, gear inside); Cobra CB - the small one with weather; Kenwood 2M Amateur Radio for when I really need to talk to someone or access telephone system; Hella Map light; Land Rover work light (still to be wired in); Thule rack system with cargo box for skis, paddles, fencing and kid strollers!)

Still on my to do list (based on cash, convincing my wife that this is a good idea, and balancing the fact that I live in now live in a city of 3MM people):

- Second fuse box aft
- Second battery
- Extended breathers (a must have if doing any fording)
- Garmin GPS 35 (or something) tied directly into my PDA and running something like OziExplorer
- Mobile Ham radio tied into GPS to allow for position tracking, on the road email, etc
- Super Charger
- Snorkel
- Ideally new front and rear bumpers, but likely when I retire this from city driving

Have fun :beer:

Cheers, Hugh

dont look to find one with all the stuff on your list. find one with lockers, in good shape, for cheap. should be able to get a 93 for around 9,000. as far as bumpers Im thinking they usually come off when they go for sale and the oem goes back on. not sure what youd need for lift, thinking 4"
ARB seems to be the way to go if your not rock crawling (in case you hit a duck or something with your truck)
:D

>> Get on of those boat props for the receiver, <<
>> big floatation tires and make sure it has a  <<
>> sunroof. That would make a great duck blind/boat. <<
>> kurt <<

Kurt's developing a great sense of humor!  Neat  :G

PS. &nbsp:DEE-TOO didn't mention armour for the underside. Kurt posted pics of the ultimate skid plate. Check it out.

-B-

The kiss of death. I'll bet the porcupine enjoyed that one. :D

A bald-butted porcupine. :G

Ever seen "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Akroyd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom