The old permatex and dental floss fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
About 30 years ago on a family road trip down to California in the 55 we stopped at a Jiffy-Lube or similar oil change joint in Oregon. Because of work stuff we had to head out with oil change overdue. 150 miles south of our oil change we stopped at a rest stop for picnic lunch. I glance at the gleaming '79 and see a small puddle of oil under the engine. Sure enough there was NO washer/gasket at all under the flanged drain bolt. OK, I am not driving 150 miles in the wrong direction to get it fixed. I had few options such as draining the oil etc. After some thought I ransacked my tool kit and found a tube of permatex. I asked my wife if she had any dental floss. I coated the floss with permatex between thumb and forefinger, undid the plug 2 turns , wrapped the 18 inches of floss tightly around the plug, Tightened it up, wiped clean with a paper towel. 3000 miles later dusty dry. Did it again today. Same vehicle. This time I was too cheap to drive and get a new gasket and yesterday's oil change was dripping. Time will tell, but dry after 2 hours and 30 miles.

Note to self - add dental floss and Permatex to tool bag

About 30 years ago on a family road trip down to California in the 55 we stopped at a Jiffy-Lube or similar oil change joint in Oregon. Because of work stuff we had to head out with oil change overdue. 150 miles south of our oil change we stopped at a rest stop for picnic lunch. I glance at the gleaming '79 and see a small puddle of oil under the engine. Sure enough there was NO washer/gasket at all under the flanged drain bolt. OK, I am not driving 150 miles in the wrong direction to get it fixed. I had few options such as draining the oil etc. After some thought I ransacked my tool kit and found a tube of permatex. I asked my wife if she had any dental floss. I coated the floss with permatex between thumb and forefinger, undid the plug 2 turns , wrapped the 18 inches of floss tightly around the plug, Tightened it up, wiped clean with a paper towel. 3000 miles later dusty dry. Did it again today. Same vehicle. This time I was too cheap to drive and get a new gasket and yesterday's oil change was dripping. Time will tell, but dry after 2 hours and 30 miles.
Good old permatex will fix a lot of problems
If you have a tiny drip on almost any plumbing, even after Teflon and pipe dope , permatex will fix it

That's interesting. I've been using headlight polishing compound because I ran out of toothpaste.

And, I use toothpics on my home's handmade 1950's-era door where the wood screws stripped the holes that holds the knob flange. Just drive a few in with a hammer, trim flush, and the screw will grab again.

Last edited:
So you must have a nice, bright smile, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom