The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If members could please post the make/model/statistics of their various intercooler setups, complete with pictures, perhaps we could have this information stickified in one neat and tidy location.

1990 1HDT HDJ81 VX-LTD 25psi boost

Completed in 2006, runs same today as then.
These three photos taken April this year.

I just love this truck.... I imported it myself from Japan in 2005 with 51,000kms on it (seem genuine too when looking at all telltale signs)

600x300x75" eBay bar and plate intercooler
2.5" stainless tubing throughout
1HZ crossover pipe - I could have made the path shorter etc amd made a flange etc at manifold, but I had limited access to fabrication at the time, this made it all very easy.
Turbo was a hi flowed CT26 by me (my very first "designed" Hiflow). at the time I wanted 200hp at wheels. I only got 170. Still, it had so much torque....... Boost response was and still is sensational.

You can also see the water meth 150psi pump on the firewall. Thats as far as I giot with that - just putting it on the wall. its sat theer for 5 years like that not connected lol
IMG_0574.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 011.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also watching this thread with interest as I want to install an IC in preparation for a GTurbo. That 1HZ crossover pipe is a great idea..

I'm also watching this thread with interest as I want to install an IC in preparation for a GTurbo. That 1HZ crossover pipe is a great idea..

It worked pretty well and was easy, but if I did another one I would actually modify the inlet manifold and weld on a 2.5" flared tube "hose tail" and come in from fuel filter side - notice my marine fuel filter with bowl - I ran this on 40% WVO for a while.....

I didnt ever measure inlet temps on this setup, but it was certainly a huge improvement on none.

was it a pain in the ass getting the intercooler to fit. Those freaking factory ac lines and the condensor take up a lot of space

Very interested for my hdj

Gbentink - do you have any picture of the pipe routing from the intercooler past the headlights?

I have the same model (4 headlights?) and I think I can get piping through the body right underneath the lights without going underneath by the chassis rails

subscribed.
hopefully in the next week or so i will have my top mounted intercooler finished off for comparrison.

was it a pain in the ass getting the intercooler to fit. Those freaking factory ac lines and the condensor take up a lot of space

I removed the centre support that stiffens the bonnet latch - it hasnt caused any problems. After doing that, theers heaps of room. It is amazing, the 600*300*75 core is almost as if it was designed specifically for that car. In so many areas it only "just fits".

This is the only plumbing shot I have for quick access. I am sure I did photograph all the pipes. The other side not listed isnt visible from outside the car as it goes under the battery box on the turbo side of the car.

I have also attached a photo of a modded intercooler recently fitted to my LX470 with the 1HDFTE. It has made a significant improvement. I realise its not an 80, but its a different philiosophy than I employed in the 80 because this time I had a TIG that does aluminium.... the result is far shorter piping and easier install and cheaper. Please note; I have never experienced any percievable lag in that system even with all the piping - it had awesome throttle response.
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

I ordered my intercooler today and it should arrive next week sometime so at least I can get started with the install in the next few weeks.. I went for a slightly thinner one 550x230x65mm as I'm installing into a 60 and there isn't as much room behind the front grill as an 80.. particularly with the A/C condenser in there too..

I had a tough time trying to decide between a front and top mounted unit, the top would have been a way easier install and I think it would have worked ok but I'm hoping the extra PITA to shoehorn the front mounted one pays off..

Here's a pic with my front grill off I'm going to have to get that A/C pipe on the right re-routed to make space for the IC..

My greatest worry is that the IC will affect my radiator and A/C condenser cooling negatively.. I suppose that's where the top mounted one would score..:meh:
DSC08102.jpg

Trock,

Excellent choice.

No, I fully expect based on my experience that you will not have heating issues. The intercooler does in fact reduce the heat the engine itself has to remove, so one counters the other to a degree

Trock,

Excellent choice.

No, I fully expect based on my experience that you will not have heating issues. The intercooler does in fact reduce the heat the engine itself has to remove, so one counters the other to a degree

Great.. Once this IC is plumbed I'm going to order one of your turbos... can't wait:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom