Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check out the LX 450 corner lights

Yeah, nice job. A Sniper is next on the list for my '77 FJ40.

Just to be clear, I’m sticking with the 3FE just using this for pressuring the fuel versus an in line or in tank pump.

Partsouq for the win on the clamshell and these Ebay lights look better. Thanks for the link above.

5CD78163-F8CF-4599-939F-FD512122A921.jpeg

65DF2383-68F7-49BE-9D9B-464FC5A054D7.jpeg

Both mirrors on this truck are in bad shape. I picked up a set of aftermarket mirrors and was planning on having them painted body color like US 80s do......

That said.....the black looks pretty good.

The only thing I’d worry about is the plastic fading.

DFE4C499-5A48-46A1-9AA2-FDE86DFB8980.jpeg

Both mirrors on this truck are in bad shape. I picked up a set of aftermarket mirrors and was planning on having them painted body color like US 80s do......

View attachment 2372063
I bet the black will fade super fast. And color matched would look way rad! Question for ya: I read earlier that you're waiting until after the suspension install to fluid film the under-bits, but is that all you're planning on doing with the axles? I'm getting a bunch of new painted stuff under my Cruiser, and I've been trying to decide what to do with the components that aren't being replaced, and have a little bit of surface rust on them.

I bet the black will fade super fast. And color matched would look way rad! Question for ya: I read earlier that you're waiting until after the suspension install to fluid film the under-bits, but is that all you're planning on doing with the axles? I'm getting a bunch of new painted stuff under my Cruiser, and I've been trying to decide what to do with the components that aren't being replaced, and have a little bit of surface rust on them.

Once you have done the work under there, absolutely. It soaks in and after it does the old surface rusted stuff will look much better.

This is the R2D260 I did a couple of months ago. You can see how it’s soaking in and it’s not as wet as when it’s first applied.

I’m waiting because it’s messy after first applied.

4D9471C8-047E-40B2-836B-F30AED1D3E93.jpeg

4748FAE5-9289-4771-B3D5-F12EF7DC4769.jpeg

04C44C53-93A0-46DF-9DC3-51AADEFD3E3B.jpeg

Once you have done the work under there, absolutely. It soaks in and after it does the old surface rusted stuff will look much better.

This is the R2D260 I did a couple of months ago. You can see how it’s soaking in and it’s not as wet as when it’s first applied.

I’m waiting because it’s messy after first applied.

View attachment 2372103

View attachment 2372104

View attachment 2372105
Nice, that looks great! Do you just spray it on? Or spray it onto a cloth, and then wipe it on?

Nice, that looks great! Do you just spray it on? Or spray it onto a cloth, and then wipe it on?

It’s spray on. I use a air gun kit I got off Amazon

After looking at how little of the mirror that would actually be painted and the rear that would be left black I decided to run em as is. If they fade I’ll paint them

The OME cdff f LED headlights. Trying a new brand versus the turd Starks I’ve run in the 100s

54EAC81A-9840-4208-BAB1-216D07A13C9C.jpeg

540AAEDB-45D1-471E-A912-A436E8BEBA12.jpeg

95C693FF-40D4-462E-AC72-D0947EC1B3BE.jpeg

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that’s why those reflectors were screwed to the bumper.

The bumper is metal on the corners with little brackets behind them for support too. It’s full of cool little things that make it unique for sure.

My Summit parts are lost in the USPS system with the rear springs. I want to get this one running and driving so bad with this cold AC.

View attachment 2372063
I put those mirrors on my 91 restoration/preservation job. I considered doing chrome door handles and mirrors, but after I got them on I liked the black. They seem to be of very high quality. They exceeded my expectations.

I bet that your local vinyl wrap guy could put chrome vinyl on those mirrors. It may not last forever but would be pretty close to original. If you are really picky then you can actually take them apart wrap individual parts then reassemble.

I really have enjoyed reading about your truck. It is a fantastic find and tasteful, sympathetic, preservation project.

DAD3B194-5ED0-4E09-A01E-A2851178ADB5.jpeg

RKTINC

Last edited:
Looking at that Fluid Film application and my first thought is "how do you know if you have a leak?"

View attachment 2372063

For what it's worth, I'm a few years into aftermarket black mirrors -- no fade thus far, and my 80 lives outdoors in the Arizona sun.

The clamshell is readily available from your local Toyota dealer here in the States.
Good to know, Thought I had read on Mud it was no longer produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom